Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who was the greatest heavyweight to never win a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP?

  • Jerry Quarry

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Ron Lyle

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Earnie Shavers

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Andrew Golota

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Bugner

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Gerry Cooney

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Brian Nielsen

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henry Tillman

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Wepner

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

    Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jerry Quarry

Ron Lyle

Earnie Shavers

Andrew Golota

Chuck Wepner

Joe Bugner

Gerry Cooney

Brian Nielsen

Henry Tillman (I threw him in there just for hell of it... after all... he did beat Mike Tyson twice in the Amateurs and won a Gold Medal in the 1984 Summer Olympics)

Other

Please vote, decide, and provide some info as to Why?:cool:
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Irish" Jerry Quarry was the closest thing to a complete boxer. He has the right amount of power, speed, determination, heart, skill... EVERYTHING... it's just a damn shame that he constantly ran into the likes of Ali and Frazier... and lose his big chance of ever being World Champion against... I think it was Jimmy Ellis (in that vacated World Championship tournament)? Anyways... he did beat Earnie Shavers and Ron Lyle when he was nearly 30... AND... George Foreman dodged him back in the early 70s when he was World Champion... so there really is something there! "ALWAYS THE BRIDESMAID... NEVER THE BRIDE!!!" Damn... above everybody else who was never, ever World Champion in The Heavyweight Divsion... I wish Quarry was!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,912 Posts
Well Golota was a very good fighter but he just was a completetly different fighter when he fought for the title.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
I was going to vote for Shavers, but he ran out of gas way to fast, and he telegraphed his punches. Quarry hit about a 8 out of 10, and he could take a great shot. He had good stamina and he never gave up.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bill1234 said:
I was going to vote for Shavers, but he ran out of gas way to fast, and he telegraphed his punches. Quarry hit about a 8 out of 10, and he could take a great shot. He had good stamina and he never gave up.
NICE CHOICE... I may have to add an honorable mention for Ron Lyle... he would be my number 2 pick!:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Lyle deserves a mention for sure. He was beating Ali before Ali being him got a gift stopage because he had Lyle hurt.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bill1234 said:
Lyle deserves a mention for sure. He was beating Ali before Ali being him got a gift stopage because he had Lyle hurt.
... and... he not only had over 10 years less experience than Ali... BUT HE WAS OLDER THAN HIM AS WELL!!!
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a bit off topic... the best heavyweight WHO IS CURRENTLY ACTIVE AND AMONGST THE NEW CROP OF TODAY'S HEAVYWEIGHT BOXERS who is yet to win a World Championship... is "The Nigerian Nightmare" Samuel Peter!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
25,672 Posts
i voted joe bugner i always liked to watch joe and he fought a solid 12 rounds with ali.

i think henry cooper should have been on the list this guy would have ko'd ali if there was another minute to go in the round after he floored him.
 

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
Joined
·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tommygunn said:
i voted joe bugner i always liked to watch joe and he fought a solid 12 rounds with ali.

i think henry cooper should have been on the list this guy would have ko'd ali if there was another minute to go in the round after he floored him.
Joe Bugner and Henry Cooper were indeed a class act in heavyweight boxing!
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top