Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a really really good speed bag platform
the bigger the better. post ur recommendations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you know where to get this speedbag

YouTube - DLH Training for Mayweather

that's oscar de la hoya on this large speedbag.
i've seen mayweather on this type of speedbag also.
i haven't been able to find it anywhere online.

how come the pros look like they use a speed bag with a 3+" platform.
speedbags from title, everlast, balasz, etc... only have 1-2" thick platforms.

·
Registered
841 Posts
YouTube - DLH Training for Mayweather

that's oscar de la hoya on this large speedbag.
i've seen mayweather on this type of speedbag also.
i haven't been able to find it anywhere online.

how come the pros look like they use a speed bag with a 3+" platform.
speedbags from title, everlast, balasz, etc... only have 1-2" thick platforms.
Title and everlast do have platforms that thick:dunno:. Those are homemade(reinforced). Those are also probably worth about 1500 bucks each or more which is pocket cash for delahoya. If you really want to get a platform like that(which you have no reason to, others work just fine, just cuz delahoya and mayweather aren't using them doesn't mean they suck lol)your looking at about 600-800 $$ for a speedbag platform which is absolutly rediculus to me. You get the same result using others.

Here you go, that is if you want to spend 1 stack of high society...

Everlast Adjustable Pro Speed Bag Platform from Title Boxing

Everlast Pro Speed Bag Platform from Title Boxing

These are just as thick, just not as much surface area.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
home made speed bags

yea i guess ur right, they are overpriced.

if i make my own reinforced speedbag, it would come out cheaper no?

do you know where i can find instructions on how to make a home made speedbag?

·
Registered
841 Posts
I guess I didn't mean homemade, I meant custom made. No, I have no idea where you could find instructions on that, google it:dunno:. Guess you would have to go buy a huge piece of maple/redwood, get a plane saw, know how to weld and cut up steel, and etc. No, it would prob be a lot more expensive, it's the wood thats making those platforms so expensive. Again I have no idea why you would go through that much trouble just to hit a speed bag, but do what you want. Im guessing you don't know how to hit one or never have, as long as you eliminate vibration its the same as hitting the bag against a $500 piece of wood.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i bought the everlast bag stand that comes with the speedbag.
the speedbag is crap. and as for the stand itself, i see myself demolishing it. as for the century 100lb heavy bag i bought is already looking like a triangle. (bottom heavy) i broke my stand up bag with a right hook, ripped the nuts and bolts with the plastic.

i'm just one of those dudes who likes to buy top equipment for my mental sanity. :)

your recommendations is accounted for and i appreciate it very much.

i'll give it a week for more research, otherwise i'll just buy what you recommended. thx

:D

·
Registered
841 Posts
i bought the everlast bag stand that comes with the speedbag.
the speedbag is crap. and as for the stand itself, i see myself demolishing it. as for the century 100lb heavy bag i bought is already looking like a triangle. (bottom heavy) i broke my stand up bag with a right hook, ripped the nuts and bolts with the plastic.

i'm just one of those dudes who likes to buy top equipment for my mental sanity. :)

your recommendations is accounted for and i appreciate it very much.

i'll give it a week for more research, otherwise i'll just buy what you recommended. thx

:D
Your frustration with your equipment must really impair your ability to be calm when your boxing.:laugh:Lol everything you've had is absolute garbage. You never buy one of those combo stands, especially w a speedbag platform on it, way to much vibration. Century is the most low grade boxing equipment you can get, so your heavy bag thing makes sense as well. Why buy a standing heavy bag, thats odd? Nothing you've had has been bolted into wood studs in the wall and everything you've had is crap, no offense. I don't even want to know what kind of gloves your using. Just don't base your judgements off the stuff you've had in your description because other equipment doesn't compare. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea the stuff i've had is crap.
i never thought i'd like boxing so much to begin with.
the free standing bag i had was bought on a whim...one of those impulsive buys.

not all combos are bad.
the everlast professional grade UBS combo is solid but it costs $3k
i didn't want to buy it cus everlast also sells a 12'x6'x8' LxWxH solid steel frame which costs only 700 and hold up to eight bags.

as for my gloves i use latex disposable gloves. for handwraps i use toilet paper.
haha jk.

my next questions is, where do you find those ceiling tracks for heavy bags. i saw it on never back down. balasz has electronic track but it costs 3600. i haven't found anyone else who has tracks.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Why don't you just buy a regular ceiling mount and mount it to a stud in the ceiling. Bty I hate that movie lol. You had me goin with the latex/TP for wraps:laugh:.

Wooden Beam T-swivel from Title Boxing
I hang my 125lb bag from this, works fine.

Or if you wanna hang it from the wall
TITLE Deluxe Heavy-Duty Wallmount Hanger from Title Boxing

Or if your studs/rafters are exposed(mine are) use this.
TITLE Rafter Heavy Bag Hanger from Title Boxing

Why don't you join a gym, and you'll have access to all of this stuff. A heavy bag track is gonna be alot of $$$. +if you know how move around the bag correctly, you really dont need one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my dad doesn't recommend that i use the ceiling or wall mounts cus they fall off from his experience. what do you say from ur experience?

i did visit a fight club. the local ones are crap. none have boxing. the nearest half decent fight club i visited is 40 miles back and forth. 3 days a week.
what i really didn't like about the place was that it smelled like ass-crack and it felt too ghetto for my taste.
ventilation wasn't good at all.

·
Registered
841 Posts
From my experience: No wall mount has ever fallen off in any way, the only way I could see one falling is if it wasen't mounted properly. Only once has a ceiling mount fallen(the one I still use), all I did was redrill and remount while also adding some wood adhesive to the screws, but it is still unlikely to fall unless you didn't mount it properly and the one I have now hasen't fallen in 2 years w a 125lb bag hanging from it. I do only recommend that you only use a ceiling mount if the rafters are exposed. You can also reinforce the wall mount by mounting 2 2x4's to the studs parallel to each other then mount the wall mount to that.
It all comes down to either spending no more than $400 on a mount and bag and very unlikely have to remount if it comes down versus spending 1K-3k on a combo set that imo most are crap.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i'll probably go with a wall mount that is reinforced with 2X4. i'm also talking to a handy man friend to see if he can build me some custom stuff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lowes and Home Depot usually sell a table top made from pine plywood about 1 inch thick. It comes naked (rough with no stain) so you will have to sand it and apply some polyeurethane to it. You can then swap your existing cheap particle board platform with that one and you will have an awesome platform at less then 100. This is what I did. You can also apply rubber or felt stickys between the platform and the mount to reduce vibration.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts