Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
BJ Flores has told setantasports.com that he wants the chance to fight Enzo Maccarinelli to prove David Haye right in his prophecy that he will be the next great cruiserweight champion.

Haye believes Flores has the edge over the other top cruiserweights such as current IBF champion Steve Cunningham (21-1, 11 KOs), Tomasz Adamek (34-1, 23 KOs) and Maccarinelli (28-2, 21 KOs) who he destroyed in two rounds in March.

The American fighter has amassed an impressive record of 21-0-1 (13 KOs) and having won an IBF eliminator recently is in line for a shot at Cunningham's title.

After this, he would love to come to Britain to meet Maccarinelli.

"I would love to fight Enzo for those titles and see Enzo fight a guy who actually comes to the arena to fight," Flores told setantasports.com's Spencer Fearon.

"Not Mohamad Azzoui, not Bobby Guinn, not Mark Hobson in the rematch.

"Lets make a fight Enzo with someone who wants to fight. Trust me I'll be ready.

"I would love to be on that. I'm waiting on a call for Frank Warren.

"I want to make sure he's got my number so when he's looking for an opponent next time he doesn't have to put it all over the internet he can call me right up."

Flores aims to be Haye's successor not only in winning world titles at cruiserweight, but doing it with stoppages.

"I'm going after all of them," Flores added. "Just like David's saying he's going after all the heavyweights, I'm going after all the cruiserweights.

"I'm not just going after them to win the fights, I'm going to score knockouts, I'm going after their chins and I'm going to make big exciting fight.

"The next step is to put it all together so I can prove to the world what I can do at cruiserweight."

Flores sparred with Haye in Miami while the Bermondsey fighter was preparing for 'The Battle of Britain' with Maccarinelli and the appreciation between the two is certainly mutual.

"I think David will do great at heavyweight, he's got a rare combination of speed and power that the heavyweights aren't use to dealing with," Flores went on.

"His athleticism, his mobility, all of those things combined in one fighter will make it very difficult for any heavyweight out there and I look for him to be champion very soon."

But who got the best of their sparring?

"I can't really answer that," Flores laughed. "Out of all the people I've sparred with he's definitely, one of the, if not the, top guy I've ever been in with. He does things big guys really don't do.

"He's so shifty and difficult to hit and he's got a phenomenal right hand. Don't get hit with that heavyweights!"

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Haha, dude is still unproven, he better not let the Wilson win get to his head, that w was not that impressive. Cunningham and Adamek wouldve either shut him (Wilson) out or taken him out, without all the running.

Flores was offered a match on ESPN2 as the main event against another rising American contender and turned it down. His justification was that (he thought) the fight was meant for HBO or Showtime. Dude isn't even up there like that and already is on some prima donna ish. Fukk him.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All i'm talking about is his tools. He impressed me w/ his speed and like you said, hasn't fought any real big names yet. I think he'll be pretty damn good. If the physical aspect was all that mattered. It all is yet to be seen. My initial post was stating that he was lightning quick... and he is.
P.S. What, would you like another Calzaghe, Hopkins, Haye, Klitschko, Jones, Pavlik thread?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
#1- I didn't criticize your thread.

#2- His speed is impressive, but it's useless if in your television debut all you do is run.

#3- If he was that good, he wouldve taken at least 1 of the 2 fights offered to him instead of being inactive for all these months. He rejected an ESPN2 fight with Matt Godfrey and a Shobox fight with Afolabi, so dude isn't even worth talking about, to me at least.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Hey Livershot, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your thread at all. We encourage more threads like these actually! We already have about a million threads about the same damn things! These guys are all good guys, and they are just giving you a hard time, but they mean well. Trust me. I know all of them. My name is Shane if you ever need anything, anything at all don't hesitate to ask bro!
-Shane

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx Shane.
"If he was that good, he wouldve taken at least 1 of the 2 fights offered to him instead of being inactive for all these months. He rejected an ESPN2 fight with Matt Godfrey and a Shobox fight with Afolabi, so dude isn't even worth talking about, to me at least".
I didn't know all of this, he makes it seem like he'll fight anyone, anywhere. I'm having a hard time believing he sucks. Only time will tell the truth. I'm sure i'll be right. As i'm rarely wrong w/ recognizing talent. Then again, heart is a huge factor that you can't see w/ the naked eye. I like the fact that he's a good dude outside the ring too. I like him and hope to see him fight some real competition real soon.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Thanx Shane.
"If he was that good, he wouldve taken at least 1 of the 2 fights offered to him instead of being inactive for all these months. He rejected an ESPN2 fight with Matt Godfrey and a Shobox fight with Afolabi, so dude isn't even worth talking about, to me at least".
I didn't know all of this, he makes it seem like he'll fight anyone, anywhere. I'm having a hard time believing he sucks. Only time will tell the truth. I'm sure i'll be right. As i'm rarely wrong w/ recognizing talent. Then again, heart is a huge factor that you can't see w/ the naked eye. I like the fact that he's a good dude outside the ring too. I like him and hope to see him fight some real competition real soon.
Flores is good, but he isn't great. I want to see him fight again.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Its too early to call him awesome yet, i dont think he will get to the top. I its really open lol at this point he can go either way

Needs to fight on espn though

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
His hand speed for a man that size is ******* incredible. The few times I saw him fight, he unleashed some ferocious ****. Blink and you'll miss it. I had to rewind the clips i've seen a few times to catch it all. Then again, you guys saw him more than I have. So like you say, we'll see.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
World ranked cruiserweight BJ Flores got an offer this week that fighters work their whole lives for, a world title shot. The only problem was he was offered the fight on four days notice. “Sports Network called me on Tuesday and offered me a shot at the title against Enzo Maccarinelli for the vacant WBO belt in a fight to be held in England this Saturday. It’s a fight I’m very interested in, but I told the promoter; at least give me a couple of weeks to prepare.

SMH. This guy keeps turning down fight after fight. He's lucky nobody is really paying attention to him or he'd be catching a lot of hate, rightfully so too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts