Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..

Basically I'm not really for Black History Month, since I don't think we should have a whole month dedicated to a certain colour of people. But that's for another time..

However, in school all I see is people showing appreciation for Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela & all the usual suspects. I don't doubt the influence they had in helping to achieve universal male suffrage and all other equal rights for black people.

Basically I've decided that I want to do a piece on Jack Johnson, Joe Louis & Jesse Owen.

To me, sports played a HUGE part in achieving equal rights. All of those men showed that white supremacy and the idea of the aryan race was ridiculous.

Jack Johnson beat James J. Jeffries with a whole crowd chanting "kill the ******" amongst other things. Not to mention how Jeffries promised to prove the white man is better then the *****. When Johnson beat him, it proved race supremacy to be utter ****.

Joe Louis beat Max Schmeling. Whilst Max wasn't a Nazi, the Nazi's tried to prove that the Aryan race was supreme to others and Joe Louis proved it wrong.

Jesse Owen is pretty much the greatest all round athlete of all time and if you don't know him, do some research on the 1936 Berlin Olympics and Jesse Owen pretty much disproved the Aryan race theory.. much to Hitler's dismay of course.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
great post, I agree for the most part. Black History month is for a reason though, think about all african americans had to go through, they deserve a month.It aint like they gave them any actual reparations.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Max Schmeling was a representative of the Nazis, but he never hated Jews. His trainer was a jew, and he even risked his life to take 2 Jewish boys out of the country.

Also, you guys would be surprised to hear that the first bare knuckled Heavyweight Champion of America was black. Tom Molineaux, champion from 1810 to 1815.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Good post. I like it, and I support BHM for many reasons. I do, however, get tired of it being thrown upon everyone for the entire month. Subtlety, people, subtlety.

If you need any help let me know.
-Shane

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good post :thumbsup:
Thanks!

Good choice :thumbsup:
Thanks again.

great post, I agree for the most part. Black History month is for a reason though, think about all african americans had to go through, they deserve a month.It aint like they gave them any actual reparations.
Yep, I definitely think black history month should be celebrated, but I don't like how it's done. Focusing on the same people, one of whom wasn't as influential as people think. Aswell as how it's stuffed in people's faces and how the older generation act like they were the only race ever to be enslaved, when the blacks themselves enslaved the Jewish people lol. But like I said, I don't have anything against the month or the people that celebrate it, I just don't like how people go about promoting it.

Max Schmeling was a representative of the Nazis, but he never hated Jews. His trainer was a jew, and he even risked his life to take 2 Jewish boys out of the country.

Also, you guys would be surprised to hear that the first bare knuckled Heavyweight Champion of America was black. Tom Molineaux, champion from 1810 to 1815.
Yep, like I said Max was no Nazi, he was anti-Nazi and was one of Joe Louis best friends. Thanks for the info on Tom Molineaux, I'll definitely try to dig up some stuff on him.

I wrote a blog on Jack Johnson. I haven't got around to doing all the blogs I wanted but he was a clear starting point for me. Feel free to use anything from it.
Thanks a lot. I'll definitely read and take some information from it. :thumbsup:

Good post. I like it, and I support BHM for many reasons. I do, however, get tired of it being thrown upon everyone for the entire month. Subtlety, people, subtlety.

If you need any help let me know.
-Shane
I support BHM for a lot of reasons too, but I get tired of it being throw upon everyone else aswell. I personally think it should be a week, that way it would feel like a special week rather then an entire month.

But thanks everybody! Oh and happy birthday Shane!!

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Yep, I definitely think black history month should be celebrated, but I don't like how it's done. Focusing on the same people, one of whom wasn't as influential as people think. Aswell as how it's stuffed in people's faces and how the older generation act like they were the only race ever to be enslaved, when the blacks themselves enslaved the Jewish people lol. But like I said, I don't have anything against the month or the people that celebrate it, I just don't like how people go about promoting it.
If you're referring to ancient Egypt I think you're wrong bud. Egyptians are of arab descent and they enslaved blacks too. However in sub-saharan Africa there was "black on black" slavery as well.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Hey guys..

Basically I'm not really for Black History Month, since I don't think we should have a whole month dedicated to a certain colour of people. But that's for another time..

However, in school all I see is people showing appreciation for Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela & all the usual suspects. I don't doubt the influence they had in helping to achieve universal male suffrage and all other equal rights for black people.

Basically I've decided that I want to do a piece on Jack Johnson, Joe Louis & Jesse Owen.

To me, sports played a HUGE part in achieving equal rights. All of those men showed that white supremacy and the idea of the aryan race was ridiculous.

Jack Johnson beat James J. Jeffries with a whole crowd chanting "kill the ******" amongst other things. Not to mention how Jeffries promised to prove the white man is better then the *****. When Johnson beat him, it proved race supremacy to be utter ****.

Joe Louis beat Max Schmeling. Whilst Max wasn't a Nazi, the Nazi's tried to prove that the Aryan race was supreme to others and Joe Louis proved it wrong.

Jesse Owen is pretty much the greatest all round athlete of all time and if you don't know him, do some research on the 1936 Berlin Olympics and Jesse Owen pretty much disproved the Aryan race theory.. much to Hitler's dismay of course.
Nice idea :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
It is a common mistake for when people say taht the white people went to africa and trapped the black people and took them home, and that is not true.

In Africa, a powerful tribe would capture members of a rival tribe and sell them to the white people. So, in a way, black people were responsible for slavery.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
You really should leave crap like this alone man. I mean really. Why run your mouth like this. What positive could come from your comment? Nothing but drama will come from this.
I strongly agree, Imma let that horrible comment slide since he didn't know better.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
It is a common mistake for when people say taht the white people went to africa and trapped the black people and took them home, and that is not true.

In Africa, a powerful tribe would capture members of a rival tribe and sell them to the white people. So, in a way, black people were responsible for slavery.
You're somewhat right...europeans didn't "trap" the africans and the african tribes did trade slaves with the Europeans...but the Europeans are FAR from being innocent...in fact...they were the mastermind behind the entire thing.

Europeans would trade weaponry such as old rifles and ammunition that were obsolete (didnt want the tribes to become too powerful) to the powerful african tribes such as the Ibo tribe so they can further dominate the land to reap more slaves. And since they took most of the slaves from inland Africa...this would over crowd the coastal cities causing famine. So if you want to say that Africans traded slaves also...yes they did but it was only inland Africa and it wasn't as devastating as the Middle Passage. When you put the Europeans into the picture...that's when Africa was raped. Because not only were there slave trades...but in result of the slave trade; natural resources were extracted against the will of the African people, sex slave trades occured, and the beginning of the deterioration of the black race had begun. Its almost sickening how ignorant and arrogant the Europeans were when they embarked on the worst atrocity of mankind...which was the Middle Passage.

I'm not shutting you down or anything like that...but only correcting you with the right answer.The Europeans treated Africa like it was virgin land and it was their ethnocentric views toward Africa that led to its downfall and its current state. If you want to know anything about African History...I'm the guy to ask. I've basically read the entire African Literature section of the library LOL.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
If you're referring to ancient Egypt I think you're wrong bud. Egyptians are of arab descent and they enslaved blacks too. However in sub-saharan Africa there was "black on black" slavery as well.
Good info:thumbsup:
You really should leave crap like this alone man. I mean really. Why run your mouth like this. What positive could come from your comment? Nothing but drama will come from this.
I agree.
You're somewhat right...europeans didn't "trap" the africans and the african tribes did trade slaves with the Europeans...but the Europeans are FAR from being innocent...in fact...they were the mastermind behind the entire thing.

Europeans would trade weaponry such as old rifles and ammunition that were obsolete (didnt want the tribes to become too powerful) to the powerful african tribes such as the Ibo tribe so they can further dominate the land to reap more slaves. And since they took most of the slaves from inland Africa...this would over crowd the coastal cities causing famine. So if you want to say that Africans traded slaves also...yes they did but it was only inland Africa and it wasn't as devastating as the Middle Passage. When you put the Europeans into the picture...that's when Africa was raped. Because not only were there slave trades...but in result of the slave trade; natural resources were extracted against the will of the African people, sex slave trades occured, and the beginning of the deterioration of the black race had begun. Its almost sickening how ignorant and arrogant the Europeans were when they embarked on the worst atrocity of mankind...which was the Middle Passage.

I'm not shutting you down or anything like that...but only correcting you with the right answer.The Europeans treated Africa like it was virgin land and it was their ethnocentric views toward Africa that led to its downfall and its current state. If you want to know anything about African History...I'm the guy to ask. I've basically read the entire African Literature section of the library LOL.
Dropping knowledge. I like, good post:thumbsup:

I don't really agree with Hispanic Heritage Month or Black History Month. Instead of having a month for American Hispanic and Black History, it should be incorporated to American History, books, literature, etc. They do a great job with MLK, but there's been more people besides him that have added to American culture; inventors, political figures, poets, musicians, etc.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts

Man you should research a little before making comments like that. You made yourself look really bad.

I don't really agree with Hispanic Heritage Month or Black History Month. Instead of having a month for American Hispanic and Black History, it should be incorporated to American History, books, literature, etc. They do a great job with MLK, but there's been more people besides him that have added to American culture; inventors, political figures, poets, musicians, etc.
I completely agree. Why focus on an ethnic group for a month? As far as I'm concerned there's no black history or hispanic history. There's just history.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the bday wishes SRCJJ.
You're welcome!!

Brilliant post man.

Another great post.

I completely agree. Why focus on an ethnic group for a month? As far as I'm concerned there's no black history or hispanic history. There's just history.
Spot on man, could not have said it better. :thumbsup: great post.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I agree as well. No one's history should be defined in one month. Sadly, America basically censors the history of minorities in America and the history of America itself because of our founders wrongdoings. For example, Christopher Columbus has a positive and is a key figure in most historical textbooks (he even has a day named after him). But most people don't know that he was a key figure in the Trans-Atlantic sex trade. Like what you said, we all learn about MLK, but they don't talk about Malcolm X (most people still beleive that he was a violent man his entire life), Huey Newton, Frederick Douglass, or Harriet Tubman. If they're going to talk about one's history, they need to start from the beginning and not from "MLK changed America by pushing for equality", because it's more than that.
Also, sadly to say I've never had Hispanic history EVER. And I would like to learn more about the Hispanic culture, because they too are Americans. If you can, name me some historical figures in the Hispanic history...I would like to learn more about them :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts