Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
from sherdog.com

Riddick Bowe says he wants to be the first man to hold major boxing and mixed martial arts titles at the same time. The problem for the 40-year-old former world heavyweight boxing king, he's closer to a title in MMA -- and he's never tried the sport.

"I've been running, doing things as I was doing them in boxing," Bowe told Sherdog.com Wednesday evening at the Circus Nightclub in Hollywood, Calif., where he was on hand to announce a "tentative" MMA debut on Dec. 12.

"I guess now all I have to do is get down with the ground work," he said.

Having never been on the mat, Bowe said he plans on his first MMA-related grappling session to take place on Veteran's Day.

"I'm going to be a little anxious and what have you," Bowe said, "but I think as time progresses, I should pick it up like I pick everything else up."

In September 2004, after seven and a half years away from the ring, Bowe attempted a comeback. Following a stoppage of Marcus Rhode in the second round of his return bout, Bowe struggled mightily against journeyman Billy Zumbrun, managing just a close split decision victory. After enduring considerable punishment over 10 rounds, Bowe discontinued his comeback effort.

A two-time heavyweight world champion, Bowe reigned as undisputed heavyweight champion during his first tenure. He is perhaps best remembered for his trilogy with Evander Holyfield in which he won the first and third bouts, and his pair of bouts with Andrew Golota.

Asked why he was stepping into MMA, Bowe joked "because I ain't got nothing else to do."

The 6-foot-5 "Big Daddy" said he wasn't sure which sport -- boxing or MMA -- offered a truer test in determining the world's best fighter. It's likely he'll have a much better idea just over a month from now.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
He might be a complete shot fighter (been so since 96 or so), but IMO all he needs to do is land a punch or two, and it will be all over.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
He shouldnt do any form of fighting, the guy was like almost 300lbs last time he fought, he should retire for good. I hope he gets KTFO.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I don't. That will just give the MMA guys (who seem to thrive on older boxers 10-15 years past their prime and fat and overweight fighting young, fit, prime top MMA guys and losing) more to talk about. I hope Bowe becomes the new champ, just to shut everyone up. Just like I hope Wlad loses to shut all of his fans up.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
bill1234 said:
I don't. That will just give the MMA guys (who seem to thrive on older boxers 10-15 years past their prime and fat and overweight fighting young, fit, prime top MMA guys and losing) more to talk about. I hope Bowe becomes the new champ, just to shut everyone up. Just like I hope Wlad loses to shut all of his fans up.
No chance of that happening. Bowe will get his azz beat in an mma fight.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
bill1234 said:
I doubt it. It will be harder than they've ever been hit.
If he fights a decent fighter I will bet you all my points. He might not even land a punch unless that pull that BS they did with Morrison. He will be on his back getting his azz handed to him.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Why do you think he would be on his back? He had a very good jaw. All he would need to do is land his uppercut-hook combo and it would be over IMO.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
bill1234 said:
Why do you think he would be on his back? He had a very good jaw. All he would need to do is land his uppercut-hook combo and it would be over IMO.
Because he will get taken down easily by a good mma figher. Any good mma fighter would take this to the ground immediately.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
If he fights a decent fighter I will bet you all my points. He might not even land a punch unless that pull that BS they did with Morrison. He will be on his back getting his azz handed to him.
Nobody here bets on monkey men that have IQ's of less that 50. I hope Bowe does not give UFC any name recognition from a real sport like boxing. ;)

I'm just talking shiz with Knuckle. No beef with any of our great MMA fans like Johnny or Goju. Bring it knuckle!!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Nobody here bets on monkey men that have IQ's of less that 50. I hope Bowe does not give UFC any name recognition from a real sport like boxing. ;)

I'm just talking shiz with Knuckle. No beef with any of our great MMA fans like Johnny or Goju. Bring it knuckle!!
So I guess that means no one will be betting on Bowe then!:cheeky4: Has the great minded Bowe even been released from prison for beating up on women? Maybe prison is where he thought about MMA. "Rolling around" with his cell mate!!!!! LOL What you got PBF??
Edit: My fault, it was kidnapping, not beating. Either way he is still a dumbazz.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
So I guess that means no one will be betting on Bowe then!:cheeky4: Has the great minded Bowe even been released from prison for beating up on women? Maybe prison is where he thought about MMA. "Rolling around" with his cell mate!!!!! LOL What you got PBF??
Edit: My fault, it was kidnapping, not beating. Either way he is still a dumbazz.
You don't want to start a verbal boxing match knuckle! Bowe is a wetod.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
What do they do when they get hit coming in? They would go down, and Bowe would hit them on the ground. Simple.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
You don't want to start a verbal boxing match knuckle! Bowe is a wetod.
OK, now I confused?????:confused: :confused: First you tell me to bring it, then you tell me I don't want to start a verbal boxing match. I just don't know what you want from me.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
bill1234 said:
What do they do when they get hit coming in? They would go down, and Bowe would hit them on the ground. Simple.
If it were only that simple?:dunno: :confused:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Bring It!!!!!!
I can't even think of anything right now.:confused: It's Friday, I ain't got no job, and I ain't got shiz to do. Alright, I do have a job. But it was a long week and I just feel like drinking a beer right now!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
KNUCKLE UP said:
I can't even think of anything right now.:confused: It's Friday, I ain't got no job, and I ain't got shiz to do. Alright, I do have a job. But it was a long week and I just feel like drinking a beer right now!:thumbsup:
Haha Chris Tucker. Drink one for me. We just got a keg of Dos Equis so I'll have my share in a few hours.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts