Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started attenting a local box fit course where the emphasis in on fitness using boxing and not actually fighting in the ring.

My question is will this still help me to defend myself on the street and possibly help me in a boxing match?

I know it's great for fitness and I enjoy it but I also took up boxing as self defense and when I'm ready I'd love to have a proper boxing match.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Thats one of those things where the instructor stands in the front of the room, and its a group right? If it is, to be honest that won't help you at all, out of the ring or in it. From what Ive seen, it doesn't teach you what to do in certain situations, defence, or even how to throw a punch correctly. Your better off going into a boxing gym.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Im sure you will still get a nice workout and you'll have fun, like you said. But Bill is right. Most boxing fitness training is not done with the same mindset as tru pro/amateur boxing training. The emphasis in "real" training is on proper form and technique. Stance and balance, footwork, and developing devensive and offensive skills.
In fitness training, stance and proper punching technique fly out the window.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Captainobvious99 said:
Im sure you will still get a nice workout and you'll have fun, like you said. But Bill is right. Most boxing fitness training is not done with the same mindset as tru pro/amateur boxing training. The emphasis in "real" training is on proper form and technique. Stance and balance, footwork, and developing devensive and offensive skills.
In fitness training, stance and proper punching technique fly out the window.
Surprisingly we do get taught how to punch correctly as well as a bit on stance.

I see your points though.

I'll keep looking for a proper gym. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts