Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody please explain to me how it works..

Basically I read that Hopkins/Taylor I, both men weighed 160 at the official weigh in. Yet apparently they weights 168, how does that happen? Do they put on 8lbs in one day or something lol?

I also read on this forum that Miranda has weighed as much as 190 in some fights. So how does it happen?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
That's commonplace. Mayorga was up to 170 the other night for a 154 lb fight. The guys have to starve themselves and sweat off the pounds in order to make weight at the weigh-in the day before. After that, they re-hydrate and their weight balloons upward. I remember when Arturo Gatti beat Joey Gamache back in 2000, he had supposedly put on 20 lbs overnight so, he was basically a middleweight in a junior welterweight bout. Gamache was knocked out in the second round. The fight ended his career and he was in the hospital for a week afterwards. He was said to have suffered permanent brain damage and as a result, years later he filed a lawsuit against Gatti and the New York State Athletic Commission since Gatti was so far above the contracted weight. By contract, each fighter could weigh no more that 141 eight hours before the bout started.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

Basically I read that Hopkins/Taylor I, both men weighed 160 at the official weigh in. Yet apparently they weights 168, how does that happen? Do they put on 8lbs in one day or something lol?

I also read on this forum that Miranda has weighed as much as 190 in some fights. So how does it happen?
Re-hydration. That's all.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts

Pacquiao usually weighs about 15lbs heavier than he weighs in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts