Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
next time someone tries to tell u boxing is a barbaric act give em this one

Boxers safer than jockeys

WE have the dragic death of a boxer in a professional fight and the disappearence and death of a paraglider, but only one of the sports is a target for prohibition. Boxing!

Statistically, boxing has an extremely low fatility rate of 1.3 per 100,000 participants as opposed to motorcycle racing (7), scuba diving (11), mountaineering (51), hang gliding (55), sky diving (123) and horse racing (128).

Not to mention that in a democracy the individual has the right to freedom of choice.

If they ban boxing on the principle of death and/or it being detrimental to ones health, it would therefore be logical that these other sports, junk food and sendentary lifestyles would also have to go.

Mabye the real reason behind the AMA's suggested ban on pugilism has less to do with any altruistic concern and more with the prejudise that a group of upper middle-class professionals has against the sport of working-class battlers.

Baydon Beddroe,
BAppSc, registered professional boxer, Dayesford, Victoria, Australia

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
They've been talking about banning boxing ever since I can remember. Fighting is a primal instinct, humans have been doing it since the beginning of time. It does concern me that we live in a more safety first society, and all things physically bad for you are under the microscope though. Easy to pick on boxing since it's intentions are to physically hurt the other guy.

I just wish they would come up with a National sanctioning body, get rid of the WBC, WBA, WBO and all the other silly rating organizations, that's another thing that's been talked to death about, that would go a long way to preserving the sport.

Still, over the years no sport has been as controversial, or scandalous, and it still survives.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There was an article in i think it was boxing monthly (or boxing news) where a guy had done a 3-4 year study and had found that due to sampling techniques, that most of the facts proving boxing was found to heighten the risks or brain damage were biased and unreliable, and that you only hear about the bad cases as they come to the fore more often. It eventually finished by saying that any doctor who says boxing does cause brain damage is expressing pure opinion not medical fact, due to a lack of studies and facts on the matter.

But boxing is an easy target, and always will be for the kind of people who want to protect people from themselves. It's free choice and the governments should respect that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah rayman u have got it there , the reason they do target boxing is because of the intent to hurt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts