Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... AND THAT INCLUDES HEAVYWEIGHTS! Even though Tyson, Foreman, Liston and Frazier were kind of hefty looking (in their primes... not the fat Foreman of later years)... they didn't have the "Wrestler-Like" Builds of many of today's Heavyweights! There was some quote from Larry Holmes about how Boxers shouldn't do weight-training... BILL... COULD YOU HELP ME OUT HERE PLEASE? But... anyways... that's why the majority (if not all) of The Heavyweight Division SUCKS... they're either fat or built like Wrestlers/Bodybuilders... IT DOESN'T WORK! That's not a "BOXER'S BUILD"... which is why Jeff Lacy isn't anywhere near as good as he probably thought he was and many other people thought he was... his got a build like a Wrestler... but he is also a Super-Middleweight... DEAR OH DEAR! It's jus stupid how guys think that just because they're really built and bench press a lot... that automatically means they can beat up anyone... WRONG! If you wanna be a Boxer... you have to have Boxer's Build and Boxer's Skill! THOMAS HEARNS... I don't think he'd be very strong on the weights in the gym... but that lanky bastard could KNOCK YOU OUT (thanks to those longs arms and broad back)... BUT ALSO... because he was an AWESOME boxer! :cheeky4:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Agreed boxers should not be built like bodybuilders, but nothing wrong with looking fit :D

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
To some boxers the look comes naturally, the thing is that I wouldn't lace the gloves on a body builder and tell him to go at it , he wouldn't know what o do

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I think people are too over-critical of Eastern Europeans physique's. Although they tend to look fat, the whole flabby skin is a by-product of the freezing temperatures they live in over there i believe. They really can't help that much.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Today's boxers are ALL gym guys, they all work out alot and do alot of weight training... Shane Moesley can press more weight than Joe Frazier used to, however who do you think that hits harder? So punching power isnt so related to the strenght itself, but dont you agree its better to have muscles than fat?
The thing about muscles and weight is more linked to the HW divison once theres no weight limit, in the other divisions all the boxers do is pack all the muscles they can get inside the weight limit, wich means more muscle and less fat...Take Mayweather as exemple, the guys is all muscle with no fat, hes in the best shape a man could even be at 147
About Jeff LAcy, his problem arent his muscles, its about his skills and fighting...
The HW titleholders besides klitschko, they dont look so fit, but theres a genetic factor and a necessity factor even though, necessity because they never seemed to need the fitness at all, they are hanging on their skills only - shows how the HW division is today...

Angeloo Dundee said too many muscles isnt good for a boxer because they lose some mobility, but that applies to someone like Frank Bruno! But holyfield and Tyson were in good condition.. So I think exagerating on muscles isnt good, but nothing bad about having some

·
Haye Ducked Me Too
515 Posts
Today's boxers are ALL gym guys, they all work out alot and do alot of weight training... Shane Moesley can press more weight than Joe Frazier used to, however who do you think that hits harder? So punching power isnt so related to the strenght itself, but dont you agree its better to have muscles than fat?
The thing about muscles and weight is more linked to the HW divison once theres no weight limit, in the other divisions all the boxers do is pack all the muscles they can get inside the weight limit, wich means more muscle and less fat...Take Mayweather as exemple, the guys is all muscle with no fat, hes in the best shape a man could even be at 147
About Jeff LAcy, his problem arent his muscles, its about his skills and fighting...
The HW titleholders besides klitschko, they dont look so fit, but theres a genetic factor and a necessity factor even though, necessity because they never seemed to need the fitness at all, they are hanging on their skills only - shows how the HW division is today...

Angeloo Dundee said too many muscles isnt good for a boxer because they lose some mobility, but that applies to someone like Frank Bruno! But holyfield and Tyson were in good condition.. So I think exagerating on muscles isnt good, but nothing bad about having some

It doesn't matter with muscle size as long as you keep your speed, agility, flexibility, and your foot work you could look like the biggest body builder ever. There is nothing that says that a gym nut can't be a great boxer. It all comes down to genetics and skills in the ring and that is it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think lifting help just about all athletes including boxers. It's the way you go about lifting that could hurt you in the long run. Obviously trying to bench to see how much you can lift isn't going to be good on a boxer. They should lift using more of their faster twitch muscle fibers, instead of improving a max like a powerlifter. Too much muscle and you cut down your movement, like a bodybuilder.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
True, but many bodybuilding like heavies have been numerous heavyweight champions. Evander holyfield, mike tyson, sonny liston, george foreman. the list goes on. Some guys like Tyson didnt even have to lift weights at the beginning of his career to look like he did. He was just born with soem great genes.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
True, but its a well konwn fact that the public is drawn to very msucular fighters. hence why jeff lacy was overhyped. tito and oscar are an exception but even floyd mayweather has become more loved by the media since he's become more muscular looking.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
True, but its a well konwn fact that the public is drawn to very muscular fighters. hence why jeff lacy was overhyped. tito and oscar are an exception but even floyd mayweather has become more loved by the media since he's become more muscular looking.
this is oh so true!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Which current HW boxers do you mean, specifically? Most of the ones I've seen look like average guys with muscles. The closest I would say that comes to looking like a sculpted bodybuilder is Wlad, but he is #1.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I think lifting help just about all athletes including boxers. It's the way you go about lifting that could hurt you in the long run. Obviously trying to bench to see how much you can lift isn't going to be good on a boxer. They should lift using more of their faster twitch muscle fibers, instead of improving a max like a powerlifter. Too much muscle and you cut down your movement, like a bodybuilder.
You are correct sir!

Lifting weights is just fine for a boxer as long as your doing it the right way. Lifting maximums and low reps is not really the way you would want to go. Focusing on getting a good base of strength, and working on explosive movements will help to yield good results.

There are plenty of guys who have had muscular builds that were terrific boxers, so I dont think that being muscular looking is a bad thing. Like an earlier poster said, as long as you retain mobility and flexibility, and your endurance isnt suffering, its all good.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's getting bad when you can't stop lifting weights...

My head is Soooo heavy...:laugh:

It's all very well for those stateside, beer there is like making love in a canoe (fooking close to water)..

I have just had ten beers that were 6.5%...my head weighs a ton....must give me huge muscles...:dunno:

I rarely drink but the level of intoxication that can be achieved with beer makes me so proud to live in Europe when drunk :eek::eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.