Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well never really participated in boxing but have watched a lot of fights. To put it bluntly, love the sport. Wanna get into it. Problem though. I'm English and currently doing A/AS Levels (hopefully somebody knows what they are). I don't know when I should get into it and start it and I don't know where. The reason I mentioned my A levels is that I don't really have every night free after school(college).I really love the sport. My ambition is to become professional. My grandad was a boxer. I have told my parents I want to do it as well but they don;t take me seriously. My girlfriend believes me. Also, I ahve been told by a few people at school I would be good at it due to my build. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is/Has anyone been in the same position as me? I really want to do this.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I box, what is your build/weight/height and I can tell you what style you would probably do good at. PS are you fast or a power puncher?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Thanks for your reply. I am about 11 Stone 6 Pounds (74kg). I am about 5'10/11".And medium build. I haven't got too much speed. More a power puncher. Some speed though. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
So are you a heavyweight, lightheavy, or middleweight? If your a heavy you will do best as a slugger that charges your oppenents. If your a lightheavy then you could be either a slugger or counterpuncher. If your a middleweight you could be a boxer or dancer if you will. Like Leonard. Or you could well as a slugger/boxer like Hearns. I would go with the Hearns style personaly but you can choose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have looked at a website that says my weight should be about middlewieight. What do I do now?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Try to do a Hearns style, unless you don't have long arms then do a Hagler style. Hearns had massive power for a welterweight, but what he did is... He boxed you until he wanted to slug it out from the outside because he was tall for his division (6'2'') you would be maybe an inch or two abover average so I would box short guys unless their like Leonard then slug it. Try to box them and set them up for good power shots, or choice 2... Be like Hagler and never take a step back and do nothing but charge forwards throwing 50-75 punches a round. You choose, or do what Roy Jones Jr did and create your own style.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I mean like where shall I go from now? How to find best gym and trainer etc. How do I fit it in with the rest of my life? Any tips on making it professional?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
First go to a gym before even thinking about turning pro. I would look in the yellow pages of the phone book, or go on the internet. I personaly go to Larry Holmes gym in Easton and I love it there. Make sure when you spar everything is even like the glove weight. With the trainers listen to them unless they oblviously have no clue what they are doing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
First you must join a gym that has boxing or a boxing instructor,Then you will slowly incorporate sparring and light boxing.Depending on a lot of things you should move on to some amatuer bouts before you even think of turning pro.There is a lot of amatuer action in the U.S. what about in the U.K.? hopefully you'll find someone that can evaluate talent and help you out. Good luck

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
How ever long it takes you to get threw your amerature caeer and youthink your ready to turn pro.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are no standards for turning pro.Any unscrupled promotor if he /she thinks they can make money with you could throw you in If you wanted to.There should be a minimum ste up to protect fighters.I would think 10 fights should be the bare minimum.Most good managers and trainers know when to turn you out....

·
Registered
36 Posts
dbnffc said:
Well never really participated in boxing but have watched a lot of fights. To put it bluntly, love the sport. Wanna get into it. Problem though. I'm English and currently doing A/AS Levels (hopefully somebody knows what they are). I don't know when I should get into it and start it and I don't know where. The reason I mentioned my A levels is that I don't really have every night free after school(college).I really love the sport. My ambition is to become professional. My grandad was a boxer. I have told my parents I want to do it as well but they don;t take me seriously. My girlfriend believes me. Also, I ahve been told by a few people at school I would be good at it due to my build. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is/Has anyone been in the same position as me? I really want to do this.

Get to the gym and fast. You have no time to waste. You are already behind. If your are in college then you would know a college athlete practices 2-3 hours a day and that is at a high level. If you can't get to a gym then set up a heavy bag at the house and hit the hell out of it. What ever your trainer shows you then work on it at home. Alway stay focus and only practice correct technical movement and punches. This will eliminate any bad habits. As far as styles it don't really matter you will find yours in due course. But I do recommend that you learn to throw a punishing jab. A lot of boxer have made a living off of one. Good Luck and God Bless.

·
The Maul Brawling Slugger
1,000 Posts
bill1234 said:
How ever long it takes you to get threw your amerature caeer and youthink your ready to turn pro.
In that case... I'm gonna try and go 10 and 0 with my amateur career with all victories by KO... YEAH!!!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
First star training, and fast. But you are very ambitious aren't you? :laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts