Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've recently taken up boxing within the past few weeks, and i'm doing weight training, (the right way, i've gotten all my facts straight on what not to do with it), and i'm sparring every other night, if not every night.
I'm eating much more in terms of protein, particularly poultry, and i'm going to be buying a speed bag soon hopefully.
My friend told me that in terms of my 'style' I remind him of a 'brawler', because I make the room shake when I hit the bag, but I need to work on my footwork.
Tips? Recommendations?
I'm a n00b to boxing, but I love it, always have, and I want to learn more about it.
My particular needs are dietary, but I also would love training recommendations, how to make me hit harder, what exercises work best for everyone.
Stuff like that.
Also, tell me if you pick anything in-particular out that i'm doing wrong.
I'm 5'9, 165, and seventeen years old, to get a gist of my body-type.
Thanks. :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
So i've recently taken up boxing within the past few weeks, and i'm doing weight training, (the right way, i've gotten all my facts straight on what not to do with it), and i'm sparring every other night, if not every night.
I'm eating much more in terms of protein, particularly poultry, and i'm going to be buying a speed bag soon hopefully.
My friend told me that in terms of my 'style' I remind him of a 'brawler', because I make the room shake when I hit the bag, but I need to work on my footwork.
Tips? Recommendations?
I'm a n00b to boxing, but I love it, always have, and I want to learn more about it.
My particular needs are dietary, but I also would love training recommendations, how to make me hit harder, what exercises work best for everyone.
Stuff like that.
Im 17 too, and i just started boxing 3 months ago but ive learned a lot so far. Ur 5'9 and 165? If your thinking about training seriously and getting into the amateur's, then your going to be boxing guys a few inches taller then you because of your weight class. If I were you I would drop to a 150 pounds so you can fight guys your height, you'll also gain a lot of speed. Stop weight lifting because thats only gonna make you slower and also make you gain weight from the muscle, just do body weight excercises once or twice a week at most. Also try to eat salad atleast twice a day using non fat dressing, if you want to box you HAVE to watch what you eat. Cut down on all the junk food and eat as healthy as possible, meaning less sugar, fat, sodium, and carbs. Also start running, try doing 6 miles a week for now and build it up over time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I planned on running but I just wasn't sure how much to do.
I've heard a lot of different speculation regarding weight training, so i'm not sure about that one yet, my friend who's only 5'5 and weighs 170, and he's lightning fast.
And he is a power lifter, built guy really.
I've stopped eating junk food, other than the occassional cheat, like a donut here or there.
I try to eat mostly protein, which is difficult as hell considering my family eats near-entirely italian=LOTZ of carbs.
I'm gonna start working at a local supermarket next week, so i'll have money to buy my own food.
Sodium/sugar are typically a bitch because I love soda, but i've switched over to ginger-ale, (only one or two cans of that a day), and other than that all I drink is milk and water.
Salad is difficult to get ahold of as well, but hopefully the supermarket job will help cover that too.
Thanks for the input, very helpful.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks, I planned on running but I just wasn't sure how much to do.
I've heard a lot of different speculation regarding weight training, so i'm not sure about that one yet, my friend who's only 5'5 and weighs 170, and he's lightning fast.
And he is a power lifter, built guy really.
I've stopped eating junk food, other than the occassional cheat, like a donut here or there.
I try to eat mostly protein, which is difficult as hell considering my family eats near-entirely italian=LOTZ of carbs.
I'm gonna start working at a local supermarket next week, so i'll have money to buy my own food.
Sodium/sugar are typically a bitch because I love soda, but i've switched over to ginger-ale, (only one or two cans of that a day), and other than that all I drink is milk and water.
Salad is difficult to get ahold of as well, but hopefully the supermarket job will help cover that too.
Thanks for the input, very helpful.
I doubt you're friend is lightning fast at that height and weight, that just seems too bulky to be that fast but i can be wrong. Power lifting is seriously bad for boxing because all it will do is make you slower and i've heard it can actually make your punches weaker. Its not all about strength trust me, you have to have a lot of speed and stamina to be a real boxer. You don't need all that protein, its just gonna make you gain weight. If you like soda and cant constantly drink water, try drinking flavored water like Propel. I used to drink soda everyday and never drank water because i couldent stand it but Propel tastes good and is very low in sugar and calories. You should also stop drinking milk, it has A LOT of calories, even non fat skim milk has 90 calories per serving. I only use milk for when im eating cereal and i try to put as little as possible. Seems like a lot to do but if boxing is really what you want, then im sure it wouldent be much of a problem to watch your weight.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Speed comes first. Don't even think about strength. You asked if there were any things to make you punch harder. Don't worry about how hard you punch. You can punch so hard that you can make a Volcano erupt but if you can't even hit the guy whats the point of the power? For now worry about your speed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tips? Recommendations?
Stuff like that.
as for the weight trainin work with dumbells. i highly doubt ur sparring every nite the trainers wouldnt allow it. for the speed bag u dont need one just put ur hands together and move"em in a circular motion for about 10 mins a day. in terms of eating: really has no effect i fell physicaly stronger and have more stamnia after i eat a mans meal. do too ur height and weight maybe u should consider crash diet. me iam 5'6 140 21 years old i dont gain weight. as for the exercise try this if u have it go ondemad under tv exercise.look up rock hard arms/rock hard abs. its simple exercise using dumbells and 2 chairs. go "runnin" find a nice place with a beautiful scene it ill help u with endurance. its find too rock bag if ur trying become a k0 puncher like me. just make sure u wrap ur wrist tight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speed comes first. Don't even think about strength. You asked if there were any things to make you punch harder. Don't worry about how hard you punch. You can punch so hard that you can make a Volcano erupt but if you can't even hit the guy whats the point of the power? For now worry about your speed.
as for the weight trainin work with dumbells. i highly doubt ur sparring every nite the trainers wouldnt allow it. for the speed bag u dont need one just put ur hands together and move"em in a circular motion for about 10 mins a day. in terms of eating: really has no effect i fell physicaly stronger and have more stamnia after i eat a mans meal. do too ur height and weight maybe u should consider crash diet. me iam 5'6 140 21 years old i dont gain weight. as for the exercise try this if u have it go ondemad under tv exercise.look up rock hard arms/rock hard abs. its simple exercise using dumbells and 2 chairs. go "runnin" find a nice place with a beautiful scene it ill help u with endurance. its find too rock bag if ur trying become a k0 puncher like me. just make sure u wrap ur wrist tight.
I think i'll combine these two.
I do need to work on speed, because I already make the room shake when I do a heavy bag drill.
I'm going to start running tomorrow, jogging/sprinting a mile a day, and then doing body exercises every other day.
And I don't have trainers, haha. I'm teaching myself with the assistance of this website, my friend, and a few instructional videos.
My gym membership just ran out today, so i'm gonna have to buy a few dumbells.
I already have the chairs, haha.
A rock bag?
Could you give me a link, or picture?
The everlast bags are too soft when I hit them though, i've noticed they implode a lot more than they should.
Dropping weight is gonna be a bitch for me, thanks to genetics.
I put on muscle really quick, but losing it is a whole 'nother story, Lol.
And about the putting your hands together and moving them in a circulation, could you show me a video or something about that, so I know i'm doing it right?
Thanks guys, this has been such a great help.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The part you said about the speed bag makes no sense at all. Anyone can do that, that wont teach him anything. The point of the speed bag is to learn rythem, hand eye coordinaton, possibly gain some hand speed, and its also a good workout. So you can't learn any of that without actually hitting the bag. It's a little complicated so it gonna take you a few weeks until you get it down right and do it at fast pace, but just take ur time it wont happen overnight.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
The part you said about the speed bag makes no sense at all. Anyone can do that, that wont teach him anything. The point of the speed bag is to learn rythem, hand eye coordinaton, possibly gain some hand speed, and its also a good workout. So you can't learn any of that without actually hitting the bag. It's a little complicated so it gonna take you a few weeks until you get it down right and do it at fast pace, but just take ur time it wont happen overnight.
I was just gonna say what you just said. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you!
Very useful, I planned on getting a speedbag anyway, and that guy got banned, so...yeah, wasn't gonna listen to everything he said really.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Reason he was banned most likely was cause he kept insulting me lol. He's been boxing for 2 months and street fighting for god knows how long. Compared to my year of boxing and everything that i've looked up and learned. Just keep getting advice from these guys. If anythings wrong most likely i'll just correct it and give you the advice the person was trying to say in a different perspective with right facts. So far everyones right on point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would these shoes be worth it?
Also, any recommended gear in terms of gloves, bags, and other equipment?
Like brandnames, stuff like that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Would these shoes be worth it?
Also, any recommended gear in terms of gloves, bags, and other equipment?
Like brandnames, stuff like that.
What shoes are you talking about? I'd recommend trying the Asics Matflex, there only 50 dollars and there great. For equipment I like using Everlast for gloves and handwraps, for the wraps make sure you get the 180 inch mexican style ones. Those are the best in my opinion.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well right now i'm using 14 oz everlast gloves, but they have no tightening mechanism, so i'm assuming they're practice-only.
Do you mean the one's with the " hook & loop " straps? or is it a slip on. I use the 14 oz strap on Everlast's and there great.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts