Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Your probably all tired of this but yeah i'm very new to boxing and am very interested in trying it. I know its not for the half-hearted and am going to give it my all. I am currently in the process of finding a Gym, and If anyone knows any in Cleveland around Shaker Heights, OH that would be great!! I'm 16 yrs old I am 6'1"-6'2" and weigh about 145 lbs.

First off i wanted to ask peoples opinions on Amateur Boxing..I never underestimate boxing in any form and You guys may look protected but i bet its pretty daunting to be in the ring even with the gear and stuff..

Thanks for the Welcome!

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I love posts like this. Umm.. 6'1"-6'2" is very tall for your weight so you'll have somewhat of an advantage against the guys in your division. Amatuer boxing is good i prefer it over nothing and yes it does hurt when you get hit even with the guard on you can get hit to the body hard and someone could break your nose if they punched hard enough and you didn't block. Boxing is a tough sport so don't quit! It was hard when i first started almost 11 months ago but i adapted to it and it has gotten easier. Keep the spirit up and with hard dedication you could be great.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Nothing really you endure the same things throughout the whole thing. The only thing you gotta watch out for in the beginning is thinking the sport isn't for you and you wont ever get better and the thought of quiting cause its hard. You may think like this cause i thought like that but i stuck through it and now i'm my #1 fighter in my gym ready to fight and everything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that helped a lot, some people were telling me things about the dangers and all that junk but now i'm at ease.

Are there any things i should work on before i hit the boxing gym to prepare so i dont make a fool of myself?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Don't worry about the dangers the people you'll be fighting are amatuers. They can hurt you but not hurt you that bad. Unless they're good lol. Don't worry much about that. Theres nothing you can really do. You're a beginner you're gonna have to learn somewhere. Don't worry about it we're all beginners at some point.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Nothing really you endure the same things throughout the whole thing. The only thing you gotta watch out for in the beginning is thinking the sport isn't for you and you wont ever get better and the thought of quiting cause its hard. You may think like this cause i thought like that but i stuck through it and now i'm my #1 fighter in my gym ready to fight and everything.
That's great advice :thumbsup:

When I started I was useless the one thing which kept me going was my enjoyment, I have so much fun when boxing it was a great motivator.
I'm proud to say I've been at my club for about 7 months now and I've come on leaps and bounds. I was paired up with one of the best lads there during pad work and him and my instructor both said I've improved tremendously, stick with it and the rewards are huge :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great Guys. I was afraid to buy stuff i didn't need and they have alot of tantalizing products out there.

You guys have been really helpful, if there are any other advice you guys can give me, it'd help a bunch. :D

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, useful as i'm new to actually doing boxing myself as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.