Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever somebody brings up Sugar Shane, they always bring up how fast he IS. Like "Well if Mosley and Williams fought, Mosley would be too fast for him"

But is he really as fast as we have tricked ourselves into believing? He may have USED to be fast, but is he fast now?

Case and point...the Cotto fight. If you whip what you think you know from your mind and just simply watch that fight without any bias, who do you see being faster?

Becuase i think Cotto was quicker in the fight. Cotto's movements don't have the glamor and shine like a traditional Speedy fighters usually bring to the table. But if you watch the Cotto v Mosley fight, Cotto's punches repeatedly meet their mark first. So is Cotto Fast? OR is Mosley slowing down?

Also, you always hear about how fast Pauly is, but again, watching his last few fights with an unbiased eye, he doesn't seem to be as fast as i've been repeatedly told.

Dont get me wrong, im not picking on fighters. Its more of just a question. When you already have in your mind that, "Wow Sugar Shane is FASSSSSSST". does that prejudice view in your mind shape your reality? Does that notion of SS being fast make him seem faster then actually seeing him?

I think it happens like that more often then we think.

what do you think? I'm i just being an ass and WAYYY over thinking this?

-Ian

·
Registered
326 Posts
A has been fast IMO

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Cotto has underated quicknees in his punches and his great timing and accuracy in that fight were real evident. Altough SS is still faster than 95% )he used to be faster than 100%) he has slowed down some because you could almost not see his punches land before, probably top 5 fastest puncher ever.

Pauly is faster with his feet than with his hands, he is still pretty fast though his punches have been looking real sluggish and not crisp at all.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Sugar Shane still has quick hands... Cotto has an excelent timing and very good speed too.. The reason Shane Mosley wasnt throwing furious fast combinations on Cotto was simple, he couldnt afford(or didnt want to) to leave himself open because Cotto is fast and powerfull enough to get respect. I mean, Mosley displayed great speed on combinations against Luis Colazzo, he still makes the top5(handspeed) in my oppinion.

No question he isnt as fast as he used to be, but hes damm fast.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
I think Mosley has never been extremely fast but he always had a great timing and a quick reaction time that made him look fast. Cotto has a great timing too and Mosley was loading up on his shots that's why they were equally fast that night.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
in the cotto fight i feel mosley let himself down and let cotto into the fight by waiting too long. cotto just punched earlier when they were waiting. if mosley actually took the fight to cotto, it may have looked a lot different.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I was surprised @ Cotto's jab speed

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I think Mosley has never been extremely fast but he always had a great timing and a quick reaction time that made him look fast. Cotto has a great timing too and Mosley was loading up on his shots that's why they were equally fast that night.
His handspeed as an amateur was crazy... he could put punches togheter really fast...

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I was surprised @ Cotto's jab speed
no one reallt knew cotto was a boxer. i never did anyway. i was thinkign cotto would beat miosley by going to the body. maybe even mosley was surprised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts