Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vic Darchinyan

After a devastating knockout loss in 2007 against Nonito Donaire that saw his dominant (almost) 3 year reign as IBF Flyweight Championship and undefeated professional career come to a screeching halt. The braggadocios Aussie rose in weight in 2008 to present the best year and best win of his career where he received acclaim and Fighter of the Year nominations.

His 2008 started off hitting a slight setback with a draw in an IBF title eliminator against 115 lb. contender Z Gorres, which many thought he'd won. So much so, that he still got the shot at the IBF Super Flyweight Championship Dimitry Kirilov. The fight saw Darchinyan utterly dominate Kirilov for 4 one sided rounds and knockout the titlist. His last in fight in 08 saw Vic score the biggest upset of his career, where he was a 5 to 1 underdog. By punishing the #9 boxer on Ring Magazine's Pound for Pound list, universally rated #1 Super Flyweight in the world, and the unified WBC and WBA 115 lb. Champion. After the wost year in his career, he saw the best year in his career. Isn't that what comebacks are all about?

Honorable Mention: Vitali Klitschko and Antonio Margarito.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Cant argue with the winner, Darchy showed some grit this year and his akward style has grown on me. Im going for him in the Arce fight and if the rematch with Donaire would happen, I think it would be one hell of a fight, dont know whod win though, Id have to see how each fighter performs in their next fight

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cant argue with the winner, Darchy showed some grit this year and his akward style has grown on me. Im going for him in the Arce fight and if the rematch with Donaire would happen, I think it would be one hell of a fight, dont know whod win though, Id have to see how each fighter performs in their next fight
Yeah, the guy had a great year. An argument could have been made for Adamek too; the guy was pretty much in the same position as Vic, but not as dominant. He got all but shutout against Dawson and came back to become the #1 Cruiserweight 25 pounds up. Mayweather hasn't even gone 25 pounds above where he started.

G

·
Good post, Vic is a worthy winner.

Adamek had a good comeback too but he had weight problems in the Dawson fight, he's been an improved fighter since moving up to CW. As much as I dislike Mayweather his rise through the weights have been alot more impressive than Adamek, who needed to move up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts