71. Kelly Pavlik
72. Roy Jones
73. Leon Spinx
74. Ernie Terell
75. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
76. Ricky Hatton
77. Oscar De La Hoya
78. Kostya Tszyu

Tell me if you think that somebody should have gotten into the list, and I will put him up. I do not want to debate the order that I have the rankings in, there would be WAAAAY too much debate going on. This thread is really gonna piss Sugar Shane off because I have the Old timers at the top of the list.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
My heavyweight list:

1. Joe Louis
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Rocky Marciano
4. Larry Holmes
5. Jack Johnson
6. Lennox Lewis
7. George Foreman
8. Jack Dempsey
9. Sonny Liston
10. Joe Frazier

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Makes sense. If I let my little brother make a list it would look like this, but even he knows that Marciano isn't even a top 25 ATG. List sucks, but good work. Guys on the list that you've never seen fight. Classic.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
There's a lot of guys I wouldn't have on that list and I'd have it in a very different order but...I'm only going to name 1 person you either take off the list or I kill you. Leon Spinks. Remove him, NOW.

As for other names you forgot...working on it.

P.S.: I lied, take off Primo too or my eyes will explode.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a lot of guys I wouldn't have on that list and I'd have it in a very different order but...I'm only going to name 1 person you either take off the list or I kill you. Leon Spinks. Remove him, NOW.

As for other names you forgot...working on it.

P.S.: I lied, take off Primo too or my eyes will explode.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I am trying to fit all of the fighters that ever did good in the sport in. I never really liked Leon Spinx. Whats wrong with Primo Carnera?

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I am trying to fit all of the fighters that ever did good in the sport in. I never really liked Leon Spinx. Whats wrong with Primo Carnera?
Let me put it this way, if it was 50 years in the future and you were doing this list, you'd have Nikolay Valuev on the list for the same reason. But since you can actually experience this guy live, you know much better.

Anyhow SOME suggestions:

Harry Wills
Sam McVea
Joe Jeanette
Riddick Bowe
Dwight Muhammad Qawi
Harold Johnson
Carlos Monzon
Winky Wright
Joey Giardello
Harry Greb
Mike McCallum
Nino Benvenuti
Emile Griffith
Wilfred Benitez
Terry Norris
Jose Napoles
Pernell Whitaker
Kid Gavilan
Pipino Cuevas
Julio Cezar Chavez
Aaron Pryor
Meldrick Taylor
Nicolino Locche
Ike Williams
Carlos Ortiz
Alexis Arguello
Naseem Hamed
Salvador Sanchez
Marco Antonio Barrera
Erik Morales
Wilfredo Vazquez
Manuel Ortiz
Johnny Tapia

I think you should take out what were just entertaining fighters by the way and not great ones (ex Gatti, Ward). Also your love for Marciano as lb for lb greatest of all time is mind boggling.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
How does Pavlik rank ahead of Roy Jones Jr?

How does Tarver rank ahead of Roy Jones? How does Hopkins not make the list, but Tarver does?

Where is Sweet Pea?

Why the **** is Arthur Abraham on that list?

How the hell does Ricky Hatton rank ahead of Oscar De La Hoya?

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts

How does Tarver rank ahead of Roy Jones? How does Hopkins not make the list, but Tarver does?

Where is Sweet Pea?

He's 12, give him a break :p

He's trying is what matters. He'll have a whole new list in 2 years and another one 2 years after that.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
SRCJJ said:

Where is Sweet Pea?

Sorry, I forgot Bernard Hopkins, but IMO, Tarver and Pavlik are better than Jones. I am not that good on the topic of the modern fighters. I will add sweet pea too. IMO, Arthur Abraham is the greatest fighter that is fighting today. I have not seen anybody with that kind of determination since Muhammad Ali.

Obama said:
He's 12, give him a break :p

He's trying is what matters. He'll have a whole new list in 2 years and another one 2 years after that.
Thanks for the support, Obama, but I am actually turning 14 on monday. You have to admit I know a lot for a kid my age, and I bet you there are a few people on that list that you did not know about.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1. Rocky Marciano
2. John L. Sullivan
3. Sugar Ray Robinson
4. Jack Dempsey
5. Jack Johnson
6. Henry Armstrong
7. Muhammad Ali
8. Joe Louis
9. Willie Pep
10. James J. Jeffries
---------------------
11.Sam Langford
12.Marvin Hagler
13. Benny Leonard
14. Jim Corbett
15. Peter Jackson
16. Joe Gans
17. Jake Kilraine
18. Archie Moore
19. Gene Tunney
20. Ezzard Charles
-------------------------
21. Harry Greb
22. Jess Willard
23. Barbados Joe Walcott
24. Joe Jeanette
25. George Foreman
26. Joe Frazier
27. Larry Holmes
28. Max Baer
29. Bob Fitzsimmons
30. Joe Choynski
----------------------
31. Sonny Liston
32. Roberto Duran
33. Sam McVea
34. Jack Sharkey
35. Max Schmeling
36. Harry Wills
37. Jersey Joe Walcott
38. Mike Tyson
39. Jake LaMotta
40. Tom Sharkey
-----------------------------
41. Primo Carnera
42. Sandy Saddler
43. Arturo Godoy
44. Ron Lyle
45. Luis Firpo
46. Tony Galento
47. Lennox Lewis
48. Carmen Basilio
49. Rex Layne
50. Gene Fullmer
-------------------------
51. Aaron Pryor
52. Billy Conn
53. Alexis Arguello
54. Iran Barkley
55. Evander Holyfeild
56. Arthur Abraham
57. Tommy Burns
58. Tony Zale
59. Rocky Graziano
60. Marvin Hart
------------------------
61. Thomas Hearns
62. Floyd Patterson
63. Bob Foster
64. Riddick Bowe
65. Pernell Whitaker
66. Jim Flynn
67. Gunboat Smith
68. Lee Savold
69. Di.ck Tiger
70. Sugar Ray Leonard
------------------------
71. Arturo Gatti
72. Alan Minter
73. Harry Matthews
74. Mickey Ward
75. Manny Paqauio
76. Micheal Spinx
77. Roy Jones
78. Bernard Hopkins
79. Kelly Pavlik
80. Antonio Tarver
------------------------
81. Leon Spinx
82. Ernie Terell
83. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
84. Ricky Hatton
85. Oscar De La Hoya
86. Kostya Tszyu
87. Andrew Hartley
88. Charlie Zelenoff

My new list. Sorry it took so long, i have been lazy lately. BTW, I am not going to take any fighters off, I put the most horrible fighters in there, which in fact is why I put Andrew Hartley and Charlie Zelenoff in there. Charlie Zelenoff is the worst fighter of all time. Even worse than Peter Buckley. (38-250 is Buckley's record).

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Where is

Jimmy Wilde
Mickey Walker
Tony Canzoneri
Stanley Ketchel
Julio Cezar Chavez

and yet, I see guys like.. Tony Galento ?? ahead of the likes of Tommy Hearns and ray Leonard? oh come on boy.. Try harder

I'm not even going to argue about Rocky Marciano being on top or Jess Willard and Sonny Liston ahead of Roberto Duran.

If this is a ranking of fighters you like, then its no big deal. If you're thinking about a serious greatness list, try to set some parameters and solid criteria. Such as, opposition, meaning or effect over ppl, number of fights, notable wins, quality/era...
No disrespect but Tony Galento would struggle to get in the top300.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Where is

Jimmy Wilde
Mickey Walker
Tony Canzoneri
Stanley Ketchel
Julio Cezar Chavez

and yet, I see guys like.. Tony Galento ?? ahead of the likes of Tommy Hearns and ray Leonard? oh come on boy.. Try harder

I'm not even going to argue about Rocky Marciano being on top or Jess Willard and Sonny Liston ahead of Roberto Duran.

If this is a ranking of fighters you like, then its no big deal. If you're thinking about a serious greatness list, try to set some parameters and solid criteria. Such as, opposition, meaning or effect over ppl, number of fights, notable wins, quality/era...
What he said and some.

Your number 1 weakness is your love of Heavyweight fighters, especially the ones of the early 1900s. And in general, it seems like if a fighter fought after the 60s you basically wrote him off as a lesser fighter. This is far from the case.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where is

Jimmy Wilde
Mickey Walker
Tony Canzoneri
Stanley Ketchel
Julio Cezar Chavez

Crap, your right. I was only taking in the factor of Galento's punch. But Leonard and Hearns would KO him before he got the chance to hit them hard.

The reason why Jess Willard is at the top of this list is because I have it as who would do best as finish fighters (fighters who fought until one of them was KOed.) and Jess Willard has the chin to stand brutal punches.

As for the topic of Liston being ahead of Duran, that fight ends differently every time I think of the outcome. I think I will have to open up a fantasy fight thread for that, to see what will happen, and to get some opinion on it.

I am biased because that is where all of my knowledge is. My youth annoys me because I have not had the time to reasearch all of the fighters and divisions that I have heard about. I can name every single universal heavyweight champion from John L. Sullivan to Mike Tyson, and the years that they were champion. Sorry about some of the fighters being left out, but I have yet to see some of the fighters fight.

Being added soon:

Oscar Bonavena
Mickey Walker
Stanley Ketchel
Ray Mercer
Tommy Morrison
Wladmir Klitscko
Vitali Klitscko
Sam Peter
Chris Arreola

Also, I am going to say this again. This is not a list of the greatest fighters, it just happens to have the greatest fighters in this list. It is a list displaying my ranking of all fighters overall.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Crap, your right. I was only taking in the factor of Galento's punch. But Leonard and Hearns would KO him before he got the chance to hit them hard.

The reason why Jess Willard is at the top of this list is because I have it as who would do best as finish fighters (fighters who fought until one of them was KOed.) and Jess Willard has the chin to stand brutal punches.

As for the topic of Liston being ahead of Duran, that fight ends differently every time I think of the outcome. I think I will have to open up a fantasy fight thread for that, to see what will happen, and to get some opinion on it.

I am biased because that is where all of my knowledge is. My youth annoys me because I have not had the time to reasearch all of the fighters and divisions that I have heard about. I can name every single universal heavyweight champion from John L. Sullivan to Mike Tyson, and the years that they were champion. Sorry about some of the fighters being left out, but I have yet to see some of the fighters fight.

Being added soon:

Oscar Bonavena
Mickey Walker
Stanley Ketchel
Ray Mercer
Tommy Morrison
Wladmir Klitscko
Vitali Klitscko
Sam Peter
Chris Arreola

Also, I am going to say this again. This is not a list of the greatest fighters, it just happens to have the greatest fighters in this list. It is a list displaying my ranking of all fighters overall.
Yeah...

I was gonna punch you really hard when you started talking about the outcome of the fights, I mean, greatness is not just about a biased supposition of who would beat who.

So when you said this wasnt a greatness list, it was a relief. I guess its more like a fantasy fight list isnt it?

Still, I dont think Jess Willard was that of a quality fighter, he was mauled over and over by a much smaller Jack Dempsey - who was just about the size of a big lightheavy or a cruiserweight. P4P speaking Jess willard would stand no chance against well schooled fighters with some pop in their punches.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts

Being added soon:

Oscar Bonavena
Mickey Walker
Stanley Ketchel
Ray Mercer
Tommy Morrison
Wladmir Klitscko
Vitali Klitscko
Sam Peter
Chris Arreola

Scratch Morrison, both Klitschkos, and definitely Sam Peter. As for Arreola, it'll be a good 4 years before he can be considered.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I meant who was the greatest in fights, who would beat who in my opinion. Also, I really do not do P4P. It just bothers the crap out of me, figuring if both fighters were the same weight and the same height, and physically identical, whos style would win it, I just do not do that. What I do is Prime vs. Prime. Jess Willard was partially good because of his strength, his height, and his chin, than that takes away all of the greatness away from him. If he were exactly identical to Jack Johnson when they fought, he really would have lost. But I do Prime weight vs. prime weight. If one fighters prime weight is 130 pounds and the others is 200, so be it, I still do the fight as if they were fighting.

Once again, this is not a list of all of the greatest, I am just ranking all of the fighters I have seen fight acoording to my opinion. Quit telling me to remove people. I added Zelenoff and Hartley to that list to say that. In fact, I am going to add the rest of the guys in the trailer park club to it too.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts