Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Calderon:

"Confidence is an athlete's worst enemy. Yes, I worry about the weight. Yes, I worry about what Cazares is going to bring. We're aware that if we work the same way we did the first time we can be victorious again".

"I had great preparation in our first fight, with a nutritionist and everything, weight lifting and a lot of sacrifice in the gym. I can't deny that I was strong, but i felt a little stiff with my hands, they weren't coming out right".

"I know a lot of people are worried because of what happened to Miguel Cotto, because Margarito and Hugo's corner are almost the same, but I repeat Miguel Cotto and Ivan Calderon are two different fighters. I've already showed that I can dominate him, although we had a little scare, the important thing is that I got up and survived".

Cazares:

"Margarito's victory will serve as motivation to shut Calderon's mouth, who has said that puertorican boxers are dominating mexicans".

"I say this with no disrespect towards puertorican boxers, but it's our moment. What Margarito did to Cotto made me really proud, he's a good friend and champion".

"We're going to give Calderon a really though fight. I'm going to be well prepared since this could be my last fight at 108. After that we'll see what the future holds for me".

In the pre weigh-in Calderon was 112 and Cazares 118. This fight is on August 30th in PR.
Calderon won the first fight by Split Decision.(but obviously should've been unanimous)

The contract stated that neither boxer could weigh over 118 pounds on the morning of the bout.
Hugo Fidel Cazares was rumored to have weighed 131 pounds in the ring. An increase of over 23 pounds from the prior day's weigh-in.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I'm rolling with Cazares. If anything I had him winning the first fight. I wouldn't be surprised if he stopped him this time

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Calderon won the first fight clearly.
To the Puerto Ricans he did. But I had Cazares winning. That 8th round should of been a 10-7 round. Calderon went down twice. But the ref missed the call. Cazares was the aggressor and came forward all night. He landed the only meaningful punches in the fight. But they gave it to the home fighter

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He was hurt in the 8th and came back. He got up to win rounds 10, 11 and 12. 11 and 12 clearly.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I was watching this fight 2 days ago

Round 1 Calderon
Round 2 Calderon
Round 3 Cazares
Round 4 Calderon
Round 5 Calderon
Round 6 Cazares
Round 7 Cazares
Round 8 Cazares (10-8)
Round 9 Cazares
Round 10 Cazares
Round 11 Calderon
Round 12 Calderon

114-113 Cazares

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the first time I hear someone say Cazares was robbed. When I see the fight again I'll give you my scorecard :thumbsup:

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
It was a close fight. But Cazares was the defending champion. And I don't think Calderon did enough to take the championship. But they were in his home country. So he got the nod.

G

·
The weight factor will mean I'll pick Calderon any day of the week. Last time Cazares was about 15+lbs heavier than Calderon and it showed. I had Calderon just winning but he was lucky to get off with the first knockdown in the 8th round. He was being held by the ropes and then if Canzares hadn't have pushed him he was going down anyway so it was a bad call by the ref.

Calderon UD

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
If Cazares cant weigh more than 118 pounds i think Calderon should win this fight easier then the first one. The biggest factor in the first fight was that Cazares was the much bigger man and like Ulster said 15 pounds heavier. If the contract says 118 im sure Cazares will be a little weight drained and will go on to lose a decision.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The weight factor will mean I'll pick Calderon any day of the week. Last time Cazares was about 15+lbs heavier than Calderon and it showed. I had Calderon just winning but he was lucky to get off with the first knockdown in the 8th round. He was being held by the ropes and then if Canzares hadn't have pushed him he was going down anyway so it was a bad call by the ref.

Calderon UD
Rumor has it he weighed 131 the night of the fight.

If Cazares cant weigh more than 118 pounds i think Calderon should win this fight easier then the first one. The biggest factor in the first fight was that Cazares was the much bigger man and like Ulster said 15 pounds heavier. If the contract says 118 im sure Cazares will be a little weight drained and will go on to lose a decision.
I don't know if they have anything on contract about the weight this time.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I read that it states in the contract that Cazares cant weigh more than 118 pounds at the day of the fight or something like that.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I saw a draw last time, but Calderon showed more heart

1 - 20 of 24 Posts