Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following breaking news of Calzaghe's intent to stick around for more fights at the 168lb Super Middleweight division, Calzaghe has given his first interview with The Times since his break up with long time promoter Frank Warren and has openly mentioned the potential match-up against Kelly Pavlik :-

“There is no way I am going to give up my WBO title,” Calzaghe announced to The Time's Ron Lewis “I do not have a mandatory (to his WBO title) at the moment so I do not have to defend my title and if I beat Jones, Im going to move back down to super middleweight to face Kelly Pavlik"

“I still feel young,” Calzaghe stated “...It all depends on how I perform against Jones. There's a good possibility I may fight on. I need fights that motivate me. Kessler motivated me, Hopkins motivated me, Jones motivates me. And Kelly Pavlik has been hanging around.”

“It took me eight years [as WBO champion] to get a unification fight - I was becoming a laughing stock with some of the people I was fighting,” he said. “I was chasing guys like Jones and now they are chasing me.”

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I like Joe, but if he does get past Roy Jones, I will enjoy seeing Kelly knock him out.
tbh there 2 loses and a win situation for joe.

1. he loses and gets no respect for taking the fight.

2. he will be called a hypejob if he lsoes

3. if he wins he gets a lil credit for fighting a prime guy, but then people could say pavlik was a middleweight. he didn't fight that many good people (taylor). miranda is a lacy to me in terms of hype but it's more self hype so i wouldn't even call miranda above a b level right now.

i always said that i hope this fights happens and it's looks like it's in good shape. for me i can gurantee joe will otubox pavlik. this is not a bias view. unless joe calzaghe's legs are gone then joe will get ko'd. age and roy jones are still a big facotr.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
YES!!!!!

great news! I thought Calzaghe would change his mind but it's really good to hear him say it. looks like Abraham will have to wait for that bout with Kelly. Even Joes WBO super middle weight belt will be at stake. SWEEEEET!

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
If he resumes his career, Cal will no longer be undefeated...especially when he fights Pavlik LOL...but if he fights Pavlik he will gain some respect from me though because it shows he's willing to step up in competition instead of fighting 40 year olds.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Prime Pavlik vs. Old Joe

I could care less about this fight, I hate to see that over and over

·
Registered
326 Posts
Who cares if they're old?
I don't know man, but I hate when someone is out of his prime and gets beat by a prime guy I think it is not fair, sorry but that's my way of thinking.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That makes sense, but I still like watching old vets put on shows.
And I dislike seeing fans saying "he beat ________ wow" or stuff like that totally ignoring the dude was out of his best moment, I hate it !

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Yeah but some guys past their best are still better than everyone else in their division like Hopkins was at 175.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Even Jones way past his best, Theres only probabley 3 or 4 guys that he couldnt beat, and you couldnt put it past him to beat those guys either.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Even Jones way past his best, Theres only probabley 3 or 4 guys that he couldnt beat, and you couldnt put it past him to beat those guys either.
i agree, old vets are still hard to beat no matter how past it they are, its their presence and experience in the ring that makes them hard to beat, hopkins is well past what he used to be but he'd still test most of the new guys, they same applies to roy jones, calzaghe, even tarver and toney.

i'd still see hopkins beating most of the middleweights in the game atm if he could still make that weight, except for pavlik of course. :laugh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
And I dislike seeing fans saying "he beat ________ wow" or stuff like that totally ignoring the dude was out of his best moment, I hate it !
Yeah i totaly agree.. Roy Jones is like one of my favourate boxers but i know he will lose against Joe but i dont really care because i know in Jones's prime he would beat Joe BUT the thing that pisses me off is the people who say stuff after the fight and make out Joe is like some God, i think Joe is a good boxer but i think jones in his prime was a class above,,

I know i will get yelled at by Calzaghe fans and other fans but its just my opinion.

By the way pipios, damn Vida has a nice ass! ;)

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
This is good news! By the time this fight happens Pavlik may have fought Williams & Abraham and improved dramatically, whereas Calzaghe will be older and nearer to the end. Id pick Calzaghe to beat Pavlik if they fought now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts