Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
America's Chad Dawson claims talks have opened between Joe Calzaghe's camp and his own, suggesting the Welshman might not be retiring after all.

British radio station Talksport reported on Thursday that Calzaghe, 36, would not fight on following his win over Roy Jones Jr a fortnight ago.

But Dawson said: "There's a little talk going on between the two parties.

"It's definitely a fight I want, it's something I've wanted since Calzaghe stepped up to light-heavyweight."

Unbeaten Dawson, 26, is in Las Vegas for Saturday's fight between Ricky Hatton and Paulie Malignaggi.

Dawson is the IBF light-heavyweight champion and holds wins over former 175lb title-holders Antonio Tarver and Glen Johnson.

However, he is a virtual unknown outside boxing circles and it is difficult to see what Calzaghe would gain from fighting him.

Following his demolition of former great Jones in New York , Calzaghe said he would make a decision after Christmas as to whether he would hang up his gloves.

His family are said to be against him continuing, including his father and trainer Enzo.

However, the chance to prove himself against a younger fighter following defeats of Bernard Hopkins and Jones might prove too much for Calzaghe, who is unbeaten in 46 fights, to resist.

The chance to bow out in front of his beloved Welsh fans at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium could also be too great a temptation.

"He's definitely not retiring," said Dawson's manager Mike Criscio. "And we'd go to the UK in a heartbeat. In front of 72,000 people in Wales, that would be a great fight."

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After Calzaghe beats Dawson the haters will say - "Dawson was overrated, a 40 year old Glen Johnson beat him".

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
i do have a feeling that the haters will ask for more and more. they want him to actually lose his 0 and i think he could to dawson. i personally think dawson is the only guy that can touch calzaghe because he has speed and is quite good with stamina. the kid has good footwork too.

BUT people that see joe calzaghe know that he is a spoiler. he would never let someone like hopkins do to him what hopkins did to pavlik. he would not let lacy hit him with his power shots, or let kessler jab him or let roy jones jnr taunt him. roy did try in rounds 1 and 2 but then from there on oh boy lol.

perhaps he will spoil dawson somehow. i would be excited because it will be a close and great fight. if dawson however does move back then i think calzaghe won't look as good. i think glen johnson would make for an exciting fight for sure.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Im listening to the breakfast show on talksport and they are pretty adamant he has retired. And good for him. He has nothing to prove anymore and the haters will never be happy so sod em.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotta agree man, theres always going to be one more guy to fight for the haters. After he beats Chad it'll be "fight the guy who beat Dawson, Glen Johnson". :laugh:

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
A win over Dawson would be his most impressive victory IMO. There is no doubt in my mind that Dawson is a great boxer. I had him beating Johnson 7-5, in a close fight but Johnson lands consistently hard shots and wobbled Dawson a few times.

But if Calzaghe wins, then this win will go down as his most impressive. Moreso then Hopkins, Kessler and Lacy.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
After Calzaghe beats Dawson the haters will say - "Dawson was overrated, a 40 year old Glen Johnson beat him".
Gotta agree man, theres always going to be one more guy to fight for the haters. After he beats Chad it'll be "fight the guy who beat Dawson, Glen Johnson". :laugh:
Course they will :laugh:. They'll never be able to give credit, it hurts too much :laugh:.

talksport have said he isnt fighting again.
They've been saying it all week haven't they? Everything is rumours until we hear something from Joe.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Speculation. If he wasn't going to fight again then there would not have been any talks with Dawson. Joe is just about to sign with GBP.

50-0 on the way. :cheeky4:

·
Registered
953 Posts
:laugh:

Dawson isn't a big name, so I just don't see this fight happenning.

I'd like to see it though, of course. Just to shut up the Calzaghe hate train.

Honestly, Calzghe would just win on points. There is no one in the world who can out-box Calzaghe right now. I would like to see a rematch with Hopkins as he's one of my favourite fighters, but I just don't think it's gonna happen.

Time will tell.

G

·
Personally I'd rather see Calzaghe-Johnson but this will do. Another prime "undefeated" fighter won't hurt Joe's legacy.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If Calzaghe faces Dawson and happens to win, he beats three fighters in one match, Dawson beating Tarver and Johnson means Calzaghe wouldn't have to face either Tarver or Johnson cause he beat the guy that beat both of them. Smart move Calzaghe is doing, I hate the dude, but he knows what he's doing with this.

Now, how I would want it to play out is, Calzaghe loses to Dawson, Dawson faces Hopkins, Dawson loses to Hopkins, and a rematch is set for Hopkins/Calzaghe 2, and even if they don't rematch, Hopkins ends up ranking higher then him undoubtedly.

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
I'd luv calzaghe to fight dawson but i don't see this happening,i think a fight with jermaine taylor would appeal to calzaghe more.

·
Fire of the Dragon
241 Posts
dawson gets scared at the millenium stadium! too much hype, too much support for calzaghe, joe will beat him on mind games before the first bell rings, chad dawson would be a sitting duck for him. he has no chance in cardiff because he is too unexperienced and too young, it happened to kessler and it will be worse for dawson because he travels further and not a lot of boxers can come to the UK from america and win! ali did it too cooper and hagler did it to minter, but they were excellent fighters.

only one of the older guys will be able to handle the pressure in wales. i give hopkins the greatest chance of beating joe in wales, but i still cant see it happening.

my predictions;

joe v tarver. clear UD for joe
joe v johnson. clear UD for joe
joe v dawson. TKO late rounds for joe
joe v hopkins. close UD for joe

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
If Calzaghe faces Dawson and happens to win, he beats three fighters in one match, Dawson beating Tarver and Johnson means Calzaghe wouldn't have to face either Tarver or Johnson cause he beat the guy that beat both of them. Smart move Calzaghe is doing, I hate the dude, but he knows what he's doing with this.
With all due respect, I disagree. Taylor beat Hopkins, then Taylor lost to Pavlik who lost to Hopkins. Boxing is unpredictable like that.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I'd luv calzaghe to fight dawson but i don't see this happening,i think a fight with jermaine taylor would appeal to calzaghe more.
Agreed. A Taylor fight would be much easier to win.

dawson gets scared at the millenium stadium! too much hype, too much support for calzaghe, joe will beat him on mind games before the first bell rings, chad dawson would be a sitting duck for him. he has no chance in cardiff because he is too unexperienced and too young, it happened to kessler and it will be worse for dawson because he travels further and not a lot of boxers can come to the UK from america and win! ali did it too cooper and hagler did it to minter, but they were excellent fighters.

only one of the older guys will be able to handle the pressure in wales. i give hopkins the greatest chance of beating joe in wales, but i still cant see it happening.

my predictions;

joe v tarver. clear UD for joe
joe v johnson. clear UD for joe
joe v dawson. TKO late rounds for joe
joe v hopkins. close UD for joe
All are clear UD's for Joe IMO.

G

·
i give hopkins the greatest chance of beating joe in wales, but i still cant see it happening.
Yeah, Hopkins is the only guy that can execute the right gameplan to beat Calzaghe. It's ugly but effective. I'm not saying the others can't beat him, but they'd need to be on top form and hope Joe is having an off day.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts