Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Odd question and i just wanted a quick yes or no answer.

Is it just me or in the Calzaghe Jones fight, did you think that Calzaghe sometimes looked like a throw-back in style in the way he came forward to an old Italian fighter like Jake Lamotta?

I don't mean in the punching, I just mean in his movement from time-to-time in the way he came forward and the way he carried his hands.

It has been irritating me thinking about it so???

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Old fighters never attempted to dance and make a fool of themselves, that's why even when people of todays gereation who never got to see Marvelous Marvin Haggler or the Bronx Bull Jake Lamotta, They immediately think warriors. Joe Calzaghe in my opinion should'nt dance it just doesn't look good on him, some people it suits like mayweather(when he was fighting zab) but it just looked weird when Calzaghe did it, don't get me wrong I love Joe Calzaghe but I just believe he should go in there to do business like Bernard Hopkins and Oscar De La Hoya and Shane Mosley and Felix Trinidad etc, Go in with a serious face not give the impression that your having "fun" but looking to kill the other fighter

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Ali transcended the sport so he sort of gets away with it but why do you think so many hate money may?
Can you indicate in which fights Sugar Ray Robinson danced?
People hate Floyd Mayweather for a few reasons. 1. He is a pretty boy. He is never taking any punches, so that makes him look like a huge wuss. 2. He never fights anybody. For god's sakes the last person he fought was Hatton in 2007. 3. He is greedy. He won't fight anybody unless it will make him at least 30 million $. 4. He is cocky. He has gone and said that he is the greatest fighter ever lived. He should be shot simply for saying that.

Sugar Ray Robinson did not really dance when he fought, but in reality he was a dancer. He tapdanced on the streets for pennies when he was a kid. He would actually do the riverdance as he was skipping rope.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would agree that Sugar Ray Robinson never really "danced" in the ring.

I'd say, generally speakin, the only two boxers who really perfected and pulled off dancing in the ring without looking like cowards was Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard, but I think thats cos they went toe-to-toe with the best, while I just dont think Mayweather's come near to fighting people of the same calibre.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I would agree that Sugar Ray Robinson never really "danced" in the ring.

I'd say, generally speakin, the only two boxers who really perfected and pulled off dancing in the ring without looking like cowards was Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard, but I think thats cos they went toe-to-toe with the best, while I just dont think Mayweather's come near to fighting people of the same calibre.
nice post:thumbsup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cheers R 9-Ronaldo! :thumbsup:

Yeah that Emanuel Augustus does look pretty smooth, but didnt he lose to Floyd Mayweather?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nah I didnt mean it like that. I meant didn't Emanuel Augustus lose to Mayweather? i.e Emaneul Augustus looks pretty good, but he still lost to Mayweather.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Nah I didnt mean it like that. I meant didn't Emanuel Augustus lose to Mayweather? i.e Emaneul Augustus looks pretty good, but he still lost to Mayweather.
Greatest dancer of all time has nothing to do with being the greatest boxer... I don't see the relevance. Why does it matter that he lost?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just don't see much point in someone being regarded a great dancer if when he goes against a good fighter he gets beat. Different criteria I guess, I think part of being a great dancer is you have to be a great boxer! Otherwise it kinda nullifies it.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I just don't see much point in someone being regarded a great dancer if when he goes against a good fighter he gets beat. Different criteria I guess, I think part of being a great dancer is you have to be a great boxer! Otherwise it kinda nullifies it.
Augustus never had a punch, it's his primary downfall. He has mostly everything else... If he ever had good representation he'd of been World Champion long ago. Instead he's just the guy they call up to fill in when someone pulls out of a fight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a shame. I was thinking that when I was watching his videos on youtube, he looks like no other yet he's hardly up there with the best. That must be what's missing, he can't pack a punch :thumbsup:

Look at Calzaghe though, arguably he's pretty lacking in the punching department.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
That's a shame. I was thinking that when I was watching his videos on youtube, he looks like no other yet he's hardly up there with the best. That must be what's missing, he can't pack a punch :thumbsup:

Look at Calzaghe though, arguably he's pretty lacking in the punching department.
Calzaghe is a great fighter, his downfall is not fighting marquee guys until the end of his career.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do feel sorry for Calzaghe, he'll never get that respect worldwide that he deserves.

But atleast he's got complete respect and adoration in his homeland, whilst people like Joe Bugner (granted, not on the same level) have been completely hated by the public.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I do feel sorry for Calzaghe, he'll never get that respect worldwide that he deserves.

But atleast he's got complete respect and adoration in his homeland, whilst people like Joe Bugner (granted, not on the same level) have been completely hated by the public.
He gets what he deserves. It's no ones fault but his that he waited so long to prove himself. Hiding in the Super Middleweight division for nearly 15 years isn't something one who seeks worldwide respect would do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say he "hid", he became WBO Super Middleweight champion in 1997, which wasn't THAT long after he became professional.

He didn't fight the big american names until late into his career, but that's not to say he fought no one of consequence.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say he "hid", he became WBO Super Middleweight champion in 1997, which wasn't THAT long after he became professional.

He didn't fight the big american names until late into his career, but that's not to say he fought no one of consequence.
Joe Calzaghe:

Notable Wins:
Chris Eubank (Over the hill)
Robin Reid
Charles Brewer (Over the hill)
Bryon Mitchell (Over the hill despite a short career)
Jeff "Left Hook" Lacy (Who sadly had no left hook in the fight)
Sakio Bika (The contender who gave Joe a beating in several rounds)
Mikkel Kessler
Bernard Hopkins
Questionable Wins:
Bernard Hopkins

There's his entire resume worth talking about. 46 fights and that's what he has to show for it. It's sad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.