Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dominoes began to fall Tuesday when light heavyweight and super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe ended his relationship with promoter Frank Warren.
That Calzaghe severed ties with Warren means he will try to finalize a fall showdown with Roy Jones Jr. rather than a fight with middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, which Warren was pushing.
Warren fancied the fight with Pavlik, and during the promotion of Pavlik's June 7 knockout of the Warren-promoted Gary Lockett, Warren and Pavlik promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank spent a lot of time together working on Calzaghe-Pavlik.
However, Calzaghe was never seriously interested in the fight and also announced what many had speculated about since the Hopkins fight -- that his contract with Warren had ended.
Warren, the United Kingdom's dominant promoter, worked with Calzaghe for most of his career, guiding him through an 11-year super middleweight title reign, the light heavyweight title win in April and an undefeated record.

Calzaghe's move alters Pavlik's plans. The middleweight champ hoped to jump up to super middleweight and challenge Calzaghe, but now the team has changed direction and is eyeing Mora.
"I think it's an attractive fight," Arum told ESPN.com. "Mora is better known than anyone else available because of 'The Contender' series and he just won a title at 154, but I have always known him to be a 160-pound guy."
Indeed, Mora moved down in weight for the shot at Forrest.
Arum said the fight would take place either Sept. 27 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., where Pavlik has fought two of his last three bouts, or Oct. 18 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Pavlik's first choice, of course, was Calzaghe, but manager Cameron Dunkin said he understood Calzaghe's decision to pursue Jones instead.
"Mora is a good fighter and a good name," Dunkin told ESPN.com. "I don't think Calzaghe really wanted anything to do with Kelly. He wants to fight Roy Jones at 175. I don't think he wants to fight a young puncher. I understand that. I don't like it, but he has the right to do it."

Arum said that if Pavlik beats Mora, he would fight Abraham next.
"Obviously, for me, the best fight is Arthur Abraham, but that is not available until early next year," Arum said. "I know [Top Rank president] Todd duBoef has been talking to [Sauerland Event's] Chris Meyer and we're going to do that fight, but first Abraham has an obligation to do his mandatory against Raul Marquez. Marquez is a good guy and a hard worker and I don't want to do anything to get in the way of his opportunity."
"I thought he looked very good and we're looking for Kelly to fight him next year," Arum said, adding that he hoped to stage the fight in late January or early February.
ESPN - Shunned by Calzaghe, Pavlik looks to fight Mora instead - Boxing

Enzo Calzaghe, father/trainer of Joe Calzaghe, said his son will never fight WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik. He says Pavlik has not earned his right for a bout with Calzaghe and he feels Roy Jones Jr. will be a tougher fight for his son.

"At the end of the day it's never going to happen," Calzaghe told Setanta Sports. "Simply because I don't feel he deserves a shot yet at the big-time. On the back of one performance against a subdued, light fighter. There's a vast, vast difference between Gary and Joe Calzaghe. Gary would be the first to say that. It's chalk and cheese.
"I'm not interested in boosting the profile of a fight that aint going to happen. At the end of the day, you've got Carl Froch, you've got everybody coming up with some [fight]. We want the best available. Someone who I have always admired. Let's be honest about it. Do you think Pavlik deserves to be mentioned on that level? Pound-for-pound as the best fighter in the world?"

Calzaghe says fighting Jones will provide his son with more motivation. He doesn't think Pavlik has done anything special to be considered above the level of Jones.

"I look at it with a different perspective," Calzaghe added. "Motivation is about will. Will is about passion. Does he care about the public, Joe? No. So why scream about it. I want rewarded. Joe wants to be rewarded. Let this guy [Pavlik] win five/eight different belts. Come and talk to me face-to-face, pound-for-pound, somebody who can have a chance to jump the ship."

"Without a question of a doubt. Big Time. He beat Jermain Taylor so what? Joe would have wiped the floor with Jermain Taylor. A Light weight small puncher. So we should give a fight to everyone who wants one? 'It's my turn next'. Let him earn the right to go into the position. In Britain half the public don't know who Pavlik is, only the connoseurs of boxing. It's not bigger than Roy Jones-Calzaghe, its impossible.

"Without question it is the harder fight. But Joe said he wants to go out in flying colors. The best beats the best. He's got a right to that claim. He deserves it. Hypothetically, if the s*** hits the fan it happened with an all-time great."
Enzo Calzaghe: "A Kelly Pavlik Fight Will Never Happen" - Boxing News

Enzo is scared straight, he needs to stfu and fall back.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I don't want to say that Calzaghe is scared, but it seems that either Cal likes to shy away from serious competition or his dad is afraid that his son is going to get beat badly by Pavlik. It seems like Cal always chooses the SAFER fight.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Cal is ducking Pavlik as much as Floyd was ducking Cotto and Margarito.Maybe he needs to retire too so all the haters don't talk smack!!If anything Joe has stepped up more to the top guys at both #168 and #175
Every one here knows that fights need to make money or they don't work. right now Pavlik is not even as big of a draw as Cotto so why would Joe take the chance the risk to reward ration doesn't work. Now on a personal note I love to see the fight but If I was Joe I would make sure it was at #175 not #168

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Majority of the boxing fans know who Pavlik is, and he already has more fights on TV than Calzaghe (Calzaghe has never been on PPV). Like I said before I believe that Cal is choosing the safer fight, because he'll possible get more money in fighting Pav than fighting RJ at the age of 40.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Majority of the boxing fans know who Pavlik is, and he already has more fights on TV than Calzaghe (Calzaghe has never been on PPV). Like I said before I believe that Cal is choosing the safer fight, because he'll possible get more money in fighting Pav than fighting RJ at the age of 40.
I'm a Calzaghe fan. I can see Calzaghe-Pavlik making good money. Not as much as Calzaghe-Jones, but enough to make it worthwhile.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cal is ducking Pavlik as much as Floyd was ducking Cotto and Margarito.Maybe he needs to retire too so all the haters don't talk smack!!If anything Joe has stepped up more to the top guys at both #168 and #175
Every one here knows that fights need to make money or they don't work. right now Pavlik is not even as big of a draw as Cotto so why would Joe take the chance the risk to reward ration doesn't work. Now on a personal note I love to see the fight but If I was Joe I would make sure it was at #175 not #168
Ya'll killed floyd for ducking Cotto and Margarito. It's Calzghe's turn, he was 14 years into his career when he "stepped up" to fight the bet in his division.

That Pavlik draws less than Cotto shitt is garbage, your using the same logic people bashed PBF for using. Why would you take the risk? Hmmmmmm, maybe to beat the Middleweight Champion of the World, while making millions, and affirming the case of being the best british boxer of all time and maybe an atg.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I'm a Calzaghe fan. I can see Calzaghe-Pavlik making good money. Not as much as Calzaghe-Jones, but enough to make it worthwhile.
The only problem is that Enzo is probably scare to death of Pablick, having had a look up close he knows what he'll be putting his son up against, and he's probably told Joe this is a fight we don't need, sure there's good money to be made maybe not a fortune but enough to make it worth while, but is up to Joe to deceide if he wants to risk a loss, whish is a strong possibility...

G

·
He has in UK.

At this stage of his career he's obviously weighing out the options and came to the decision not to fight him. I'm as pissed off as the next guy but at the end of the day Pavlik is 2 weight classes below him and Joe is 36 and has said for a while that he's only wanting one more fight. He can't be accused of ducking him, it's rediculous.

I still see this fight happening next year anyway.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I think Calzaghe will fight Pavlik before retiring. If he doesn't he's a duck. I have no problem with him fighting Roy Jones. That makes money. The Pavlik fight will make money too, but not as much.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Dr. like I said my personal opinion is that he should fight Pavlik as soon as possible. but the logic needs to be used for all the fighter not just the guys we don't like many around here have given someone we know well a pass for the last few years while holding others to a higher standard.So let's call it what it is.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Dr. like I said my personal opinion is that he should fight Pavlik as soon as possible. but the logic needs to be used for all the fighter not just the guys we don't like many around here have given someone we know well a pass for the last few years while holding others to a higher standard.So let's call it what it is.
What are you talking about? I've said MULTIPLE times that if Floyd never fights Cotto I'll call him a duck. Same goes for Calzaghe not fighting Pavlik.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The Mayweather-Cotto situation is completely different. Cotto is the legitimate number one contender for the linear championship Mayweather held. Pavlik and Calzaghe are two weight classes apart.

I absolutely can't believe all this shite about JC ducking Pavlik, it's laughable. Calzaghe is ducking Pavlik about as much as Pavlik is ducking Williams:laugh:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don't want to say that Calzaghe is scared, but it seems that either Cal likes to shy away from serious competition or his dad is afraid that his son is going to get beat badly by Pavlik. It seems like Cal always chooses the SAFER fight.
ding, ding, WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!;)

Enzo's the ones who's scared IMO. there was too much trash talking between him and Jack Loew. now if Kelly ends up beating his son he goes back to his home land with his tail between his legs and he doesn't want that to happen. of course Kelly's worthy of a fight with Joe, everyone can see that. when your 45-0 you think you can beat anyone, I think Enzo's more worried then Joe is.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts

Enzo's the ones who's scarded IMO. there was too much trash talking between him and Jack Loew. now if Kelly ends up beating his son he goes back to his home land with his tail between his legs and he doesn't want that to happen. of course Kelly's worthy of a fight with Joe, everyone can see that. when your 45-0 you think you can beat anyone, I think Enzo's more worried then Joe is.
That is it right there. Enzo was talking about how Lockett sparred with Joe and could hold his own. Than he saw first hand Pavlik just massacre Lockett. And noway he wants that for Joe. I think Joe is just as scared of Pavlik as Enzo is. No doubt.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts

Enzo's the ones who's scared IMO. there was too much trash talking between him and Jack Loew. now if Kelly ends up beating his son he goes back to his home land with his tail between his legs and he doesn't want that to happen. of course Kelly's worthy of a fight with Joe, everyone can see that. when your 45-0 you think you can beat anyone, I think Enzo's more worried then Joe is.
I do too!!!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That is it right there. Enzo was talking about how Lockett sparred with Joe and could hold his own. Than he saw first hand Pavlik just massacre Lockett. And noway he wants that for Joe. I think Joe is just as scared of Pavlik as Enzo is. No doubt.
Enzo got an up and close look at Lockett;s destruction first hand, if he didn't know what Kelly could do before he certainly knows now. I find it funny how Enzo will give Kelly no complaiments even though he put it to Lockett a way Enzo had never seen. but at the same time he is SOOO quick to say Kelly's not worthy, Kelly not on Joes level, not a big name, blah blah ect .

1 - 20 of 90 Posts