Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Mark Vester

In a recent interview with The Sunday Mirror, Joe Calzaghe revealed that he might put his retirement plans on hold and fight beyond 2008. Since the split-decision win over Bernard Hopkins on April 19 in Las Vegas, Calzaghe has received numerous multi-million dollar offers for potential fights. He plans to take them into consideration before making any final decision as to a possible retirement.

Calzaghe has been talking about retirement in 2008 since last year. Now he says the retirement plans are not set in stone, but they appeared to be before the fight with Hopkins and shortly afterwards.

"I will take a long break and then sit down with my dad and my promoter, Frank Warren, to consider all of the options," said Calzaghe. "I'm established now in America and it is just a case of looking at the available fights and making sure that there is lots of money on the table. There are several names being mentioned and a lot of figures being thrown about, but I'm a long way from deciding on my next fight or any other fights."

According to insiders, the most likely opponent for Calzaghe is Roy Jones Jr. in the month of November. For the last few days, Calzaghe has been praising Jones in the media, calling him a legend and a great fighter, but he's become annoyed by Jones going around and telling the press that a deal has been verbally agreed upon for November 15 in Cardiff. In response to some of Jones' recent comments, Calzaghe dug into the former four-division champ.

"I spent five or six years chasing Jones and he acted like he never even knew my name," said Calzaghe. "Suddenly, I beat Hopkins in Vegas and Jones wants to be my neighbor - it's ridiculous. If a fight with Jones made sense from a cash point of view, then it could happen, but he is notorious for asking for too much money."

"Every day, I keep hearing about new fights and new opponents and my last fight and my second last fight, but I'm telling you that nothing has been decided. There are fights that I would like and there are fights that I've been desperate to get for years and we will all just have to wait and see."

"Right now I want to relax, get some sun and forget about boxing for a long time," said Calzaghe. But, when I do get back in the ring, it will be a spectacular night."

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jones responds to Calzaghe.

By Mark Vester

Former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr, speaking with The Sunday Times, responded to Joe Calzaghe's recent claim of chasing Jones for several years and being brushed aside. Calzaghe spoke with The Sunday Mirror and appeared to have some newfound hostility when Jones' name came up.

"I spent five or six years chasing Jones and he acted like he never even knew my name," said Calzaghe. "Suddenly, I beat Hopkins in Vegas and Jones wants to be my neighbor - it's ridiculous. If a fight with Jones made sense from a cash point of view, then it could happen, but he is notorious for asking for too much money."

Jones says that he viewed Calzaghe as a possible opponent several years ago, but at the time he saw no reason to travel to Wales to chase the fight. Now that Calzaghe is the bigger star, Jones is willing to make the fight anywhere.

“I saw Joe as a potential opponent a long time ago,” Jones said. “But I had my eyes on higher things, such as winning the heavyweight title, so it was nothing against Joe, I love everything about him. He’s a fun guy, an entertaining guy, a good person. We took some pictures together with his sons after the fight on Saturday and we’ve talked on the phone. But boxing is business. When I was the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world it wouldn’t have been smart for me to go and fight Joe.

”You don’t go to somebody else when you’re the best, they must come to you, so I wouldn’t take the risk, and why would I? Why would I meet that challenge when I’m already the best? Why would I go to your country and give you a chance to allow the powers that be to take a close decision and give it to you?"

Jones says a fight with Calzaghe is the best fight in boxing, even better than a possible rematch between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr, scheduled for September.

“But right now this is the best fight out there, better than the Oscar De La Hoya-Floyd Mayweather rematch because we all know what the outcome of that fight is going to be – another win for Floyd. You don’t know the outcome of this fight, however, so it’s a fight people are going to want to see. There’s suspense, and that’s what makes for a big fight," Jones says.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I want to see Jones-Calzaghe. It'll be a much better fight than Hopkins-Calzaghe was

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I think the fight is closer then the official odds will state. Calzaghe wants pavlik. he'll prob be in the arena june 7 to watch him since his dad will be there. Joe's making more money now then he ever dreamed. I know he won't retire just yet. I def for see a pavilk/calzaghe showdown early next year.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want both these fights to happen. If Calzaghe wins both he is a top 20 ATG easily.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
His 0 should count for a lot more though with the compition he'll have faced.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Jones has a good chance to pull of a win on this one since calzaghe oviously has no power to really worry about, and also Jones id gonna be harder to find than hopkins was...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Me neither, if old man Hopkins can put him down and rock him again, Jones would have a good chance of hurting him.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Roy is gonna have to step up his workrate against Calzaghe if he wanna beat him to the punch. Sure he's gonna throw some flashy combos but can he do that for 12 rounds non-stop?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Don't sleep on jones cause he's old he's only 39 right? maybe 40. calzaghe is what..36? so its not that much of a difference i say jones takes him out no doubt about that. He's no legend killer he beat hopkins by 1 point when i was scoring. Roy Jones is a completely different animal. And pavlik lets not talk about pavlik-calzaghe we already know the outcome. Calzaghe's granite chin wont be granite when he gets in to ring with pavlik

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jones will be in the fight for 6 rounds then he'll fade down the strech.

Calzaghe along with pbf are the only two fighters in the world who up there workrate the second half of the fight when the opponent is getting tired.

They have another gear they go into.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'm in the minority regarding this one. I think Calzaghe easily beats RJJ, and I give Pavlik a better shot against Joe.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts