Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LONDON -- Joe Calzaghe believes boxing is on the ropes, with too many champions and few real stars.

Still weighing whether he'll retire after beating Bernard Hopkins and Roy Jones Jr. this year to remain unbeaten in 46 fights, Calzaghe said Wednesday he was glad he was almost on the way out of the sport instead of just starting out.

"I think boxing is a dying sport. Globally -- in America for instance -- you've got UFC, which has taken a lot off boxing, business-wise," Calzaghe said, referring to the mixed martial arts Ultimate Fighting Championship.

The Welshman who held the WBO super middleweight world title for more than 10 years before moving up to light heavyweight to fight Hopkins and Jones also said boxing has its own problems.

"There is too much politics in boxing, too many belts and too many champions, which dilutes real champions like myself," he said. "There are four world champions in each division and it's bad because there are no stars any more. It's a big problem."

Calzaghe also noted that the United States won only one medal at the Beijing Games -- a bronze by heavyweight Deontay Wilder -- which points to a grim future for American boxing.

"America only had one medalist in the Olympics this year," Calzaghe said. "In Britain, we did pretty good, but I'm glad I'm ending my career and not starting it because I don't think it's going to be that great in the future." Source

If boxing is a dying sport, not only do you blame the sanctioning bodies and promoters, but boxers like Joe Calzaghe. Someone that holds an alphabet title hostage for 7+ years before unifying, a boxer that spent his physical prime defending against bs mandatories and bums, someone that has made it a habit of pulling out of premium cable televised fights, someone that wasn't willing to take risks until the end of his career. If boxing is a dying sport, he should look in the mirror.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
More garbage spewing out of this guy's mouth... I just hope he makes up his mind soon and just move on

·
Registered
540 Posts
@ least Joe is no chicken *****,he never backed out of fights like some i could name.Joe batter the crap or beat whoever stood in front of him.I bet other boxers would love to say @ 36 years old,thay had never lost.Over 11 years a world champion how many can say that,so shut the fcuk up girls lol.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
@ least Joe is no chicken *****,he never backed out of fights like some i could name.Joe batter the crap or beat whoever stood in front of him.I bet other boxers would love to say @ 36 years old,thay had never lost.Over 11 years a world champion how many can say that,so shut the fcuk up girls lol.
Joe backed out of plenty of fights, what crack are you smoking? :facepalm:

·
Registered
272 Posts
They are nearly all TKOs. And I'm sure several didn't have to actually be stopped, Peter Manfredo Jr. as one example.
Yes The Manfredo bout was stoped prematurely.Peter wouldn't punch back.
Calzaghe seems to overwhelm people,Hopkins looked like in a daze or confused in the last few rounds,Jones said he hits harder then you think.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Yes The Manfredo bout was stoped prematurely.Peter wouldn't punch back.
Calzaghe seems to overwhelm people,Hopkins looked like in a daze or confused in the last few rounds,Jones said he hits harder then you think.
Hopkins - Thyroid condition
Jones - Shot fighter with a glass jaw that still didn't get KOed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hopkins - Thyroid condition
Jones - Shot fighter with a glass jaw that still didn't get KOed.
Hopkins-no sign of thyroid in the Pavlik bout.
Jones-not ko,d but did you see his face? Sometime slappy punches can do more damage then the big punch.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Hopkins-no sign of thyroid in the Pavlik bout.
Jones-not ko,d but did you see his face? Sometime slappy punches can do more damage then the big punch.
Thyroid conditions don't exactly last your entire life.

His face was bloody from a cut...that has nothing to do with taking heavy shots.

Straight up, Joe does not have power. A shot Roy Jones has more power than Calzaghe, noted when he dropped his ass in round 1.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good ole Slappy Joe, what balls on this guy eh? I only pray Dawson gets to fight him before he retires.
Yea, this guy's a certified jerkoff. Hopefully, he gets brave enough to fight Dawson.
:facepalm:He never what?:laugh:. Comparing him to other boxers, a huge list could be made of how many times he backed out of a fight. He backed out of a fight against Roy in September due to "injury" and that's just the latest one.

·
The true Guru
11,135 Posts
He backed out of a fight against Roy in September due to "injury" and that's just the latest one.
postponing isnt backing out of a fight though.
hes suffered hand injuries his entire career...against lacy the fight was postponed because of a hand injury few months later he destroyed him same thing happened with RJJ,
i am a huge calzaghe fan and i can agree hes fought a lot of bums and he should have fought in the states years ago and not waited till he was 36 years old, a lot of people say hes ducked fights against the best fighters but can anyone show me where/when?
i seem to recall joe calling out RJJ and B-HOP years ago but they didnt seem that interested then...maybe they was waiting to fight him when he was past his prime,
people have said his first 30-40 fights dont really matter cus there bums but theres class fighters out there who have been beaten by bums before they became big stars...joe never lost,
i dont believe joe backed out or ducked anyone...just because he prefers fighting in britain doesnt mean that....all these class fighters from the states could have came to britain years ago if they really wanted joe to prove he aint that great...i take my hat off to lacy at least he came to try to do just that

·
Registered
661 Posts
Most of his criticism are valid, but they were equally as valid when he was starting out his career. There is nothing new about anything he is saying. Boxing hasn't really changed at all in the time since JC started out, maybe that is the problem. In the words of Method Man

"Cash rulez, still don't nuttin move but the money"

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
postponing isnt backing out of a fight though.
hes suffered hand injuries his entire career...against lacy the fight was postponed because of a hand injury few months later he destroyed him same thing happened with RJJ,
i am a huge calzaghe fan and i can agree hes fought a lot of bums and he should have fought in the states years ago and not waited till he was 36 years old, a lot of people say hes ducked fights against the best fighters but can anyone show me where/when?
i seem to recall joe calling out RJJ and B-HOP years ago but they didnt seem that interested then...maybe they was waiting to fight him when he was past his prime,
people have said his first 30-40 fights dont really matter cus there bums but theres class fighters out there who have been beaten by bums before they became big stars...joe never lost,
i dont believe joe backed out or ducked anyone...just because he prefers fighting in britain doesnt mean that....all these class fighters from the states could have came to britain years ago if they really wanted joe to prove he aint that great...i take my hat off to lacy at least he came to try to do just that
BBC SPORT | Boxing | Woods pins hopes on Johnson bout

Joe Calzaghe pulled out of a fight with Glen Johnson because of a hand injury. He didn't postpone, he cancelled. There is just one example for you. He pulled out of more then one fight with Johnson.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts