Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calzaghe: Brits will spank the Yanks in November

Joe Calzaghe says the month of November will be huge for British boxing. On November 8, Calzaghe will face Roy Jones Jr. in New York; on November 15 David Haye will face Monte Barrett in London, and on November 22 Ricky Hatton will take on Paulie Malignaggi in Las Vegas.

Calzaghe says that all three fights will be battles, but he is confident that after everthing is said and done - the three of them will "spank the yanks."

"It's three great fights and I'm convinced that the final score will be Britain 3 USA 0," Calzaghe told The Sunday Mirror. "All of us have obstacles to overcome to win, but I know we can do it. Jones is a true modern great - the first fighter in over 100 years to win middleweight, light-heavyweight and heavyweight titles. David has a lot to live up to and there are still questions about his chin. Ricky has conquered Las Vegas before and he must prove to the Americans he has recovered from the Floyd Mayweather loss last year.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Calzaghe: Brits will spank the Yanks in November

Joe Calzaghe says the month of November will be huge for British boxing. On November 8, Calzaghe will face Roy Jones Jr. in New York; on November 15 David Haye will face Monte Barrett in London, and on November 22 Ricky Hatton will take on Paulie Malignaggi in Las Vegas.

Calzaghe says that all three fights will be battles, but he is confident that after everthing is said and done - the three of them will "spank the yanks."

"It's three great fights and I'm convinced that the final score will be Britain 3 USA 0," Calzaghe told The Sunday Mirror. "All of us have obstacles to overcome to win, but I know we can do it. Jones is a true modern great - the first fighter in over 100 years to win middleweight, light-heavyweight and heavyweight titles. David has a lot to live up to and there are still questions about his chin. Ricky has conquered Las Vegas before and he must prove to the Americans he has recovered from the Floyd Mayweather loss last year.
Joe is a comedian :laugh:

He's bold for making a statement like that though.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Haye will win, Hatton may not, Joe has his hands full.

However I really dont believe a word anyone of these guy say, or most boxers, its all just hype. Hell hatton said his heart would explode before he loses. Sorry guys, I had to. lol

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
A similiar thing happened last year, with all these 3 fighting towards the end and i think Calzaghe said something similiar. Haye & Calzaghe both delivered, but Hatton got KTFO:laugh:

Im pretty confident in both Hatton & especially Haye. Calzaghe i have my doubts over, but Roy hasn't delivered a performance capable of beating Calzaghe since fighting Ruiz like 5 years ago. Against a busy fighter like Calzaghe i don't think just 'flashes' of his best are going to be enough to win.

G

·
If Haye can take a full fledged heavyweight punch on his suspect chin he'll win easily by KO. If Hatton doesn't try to outbox Malignaggi he should win. And if Calzaghe is focused on Nov 8th he will win by a wide decision. I think Hatton is the biggest liability of the 3 but all should win.

G

·
If he tries to box him he will look stupid and lose. I think he'll win a close fight if he is his usual reckless self though, but I'm not that convinced.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Those Brits are the favorites in their fights, so a bold prediction from Slappy.

Hatton is no lock to beat Paulie, for him to be a 3/1 favorite (or whatever he is) is crazy. Malianaggi's natural (boring) hit and hold style is the same style Mayweather used in the Hatton fight. That right there is a good bet for an upset.

Barrett is an all around good heavyweight test. Haye is probably passing this, if he does it impressively I'd say he's legit as a future champ.

Jones-Calzaghe to me is another good bet on the underdog. It's important for Jones to bank the early rounds and have enough energy to hold off Calzaghe's usual midway slap increase.

Calzaghe needs to STFU and concentrate on winning his fight.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Joe and Ricky will lose. Mark my words.
How much would you like to bet on both of these as a combo? If one wins and the other loses the bet will be a push and nobody wins. I'll take both Hatton and Calzaghe for whatever amount you'd like to wager my man.
A similiar thing happened last year, with all these 3 fighting towards the end and i think Calzaghe said something similiar. Haye & Calzaghe both delivered, but Hatton got KTFO:laugh:

Im pretty confident in both Hatton & especially Haye. Calzaghe i have my doubts over, but Roy hasn't delivered a performance capable of beating Calzaghe since fighting Ruiz like 5 years ago. Against a busy fighter like Calzaghe i don't think just 'flashes' of his best are going to be enough to win.
I'm 100% sure Haye wins.
I went through a stupid phase after Hopkins beat Pavlik where I started to believe that Jones was going to beat Calzaghe. I'm through with that now, and I'm completely behind a Calzaghe UD.
In the past I was more sure of a Hatton win over Malignaggi than I had been in quite a while. I'm not all that sure right now. If Malignaggi shows up at his best, the fight could be a long night for Hatton.

With all of this said, I'll be rooting for Haye, Jones, and Malignaggi.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
How much would you like to bet on both of these as a combo? If one wins and the other loses the bet will be a push and nobody wins. I'll take both Hatton and Calzaghe for whatever amount you'd like to wager my man.
How about 200k? I'd gladly bet all my points but I wanna put some on vbookie. The odds for Jones/Calzaghe are sweet.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts