Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 111 Posts

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WBO super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe says he wants his 21st title defense to be against top targets Mikkel Kessler or Jermain Taylor. The 35-year-old Calzaghe made a milestone 20th title defense against Peter Manfredo last month and has ruled in the 168lb division since 1997. The unbeaten Welshman doesn't plan to retire any time soon. "I have proudly held the WBO title for nearly 10 years since my great win over Chris Eubank way back in 1997. I've made 20 defenses and I would love my 21st to be either against Kessler or Taylor," said Calzaghe. "Tiger Woods and Roger Federer have dominated their sports for the last few years but boxing is the hardest sport out there and to remain at the top for the last 10 years as a WBO world champion is an achievement I am very proud of. I'm in fantastic shape and I'm beating the younger lads in our gym when we are in training. I'm 35 but I feel like I'm 21 and I've still got a few good years ahead of me and I don't see why I can't carry on into my forties like Hopkins has done."

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My dad could beat up your dad :) Just kidding guys.

Calzaghe vs. Kessler will be one hell of a fight and I hope it gets made.

Calzaghe vs. Taylor would be great as well because of a couple of reasons. Taylor hasn't really fought any A level punchers. By that I mean relentless guys who keep coming and throw over and over.

Second, as of late Taylor has fought predominantly defensive minded boxers and Calzaghe is the opposite. I am interested to see how he will react to constant pressure. Jermain is very good going backwards but I just don't know how he will be against Joe.

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I too think he is a solid boxer. The only reason I dog him is because I am a HUGE b-hop fan and feel he was robbed. IMO to take a belt from a champion, let alone a champion with as many consecutive defenses as hopkins, you have to clearly win the fight. And once again IMO hopkins CLEARLY won the first fight. Also, IMO winky had 2 points on JT. I know it isn't his fault that he was handed wins but still. It makes me angry.

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Calzaghe is the man. I am from Texas and think he will have trouble with Kessler and have said that many times! However, I still have Joe Calzaghe winning the fight if it ever happens.

Calzaghe will edge Kessler out with speed. The only problem I see him having is that Kessler is good at slipping nice punches against relentless punchers like Calzaghe. Not to compare the two at all but Kessler sure did slow ol Mundine down. I could be wrong though. Kessler could come out and lay hands on Joe. I just don't see it happening.

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Wow Kessler wants half? That ain't gonna happen, and rightly shouldn't happen. 60-40 would be fare IMO. I just want to see Calzaghe truly tested soon. I haven't seen him pull out a win against someone who had him hurt yet and I really want to.

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Lefthook said:
comon, we all know that is bull****!

Sure it would've been, Calfaggis hand was broken, what would he have done after that? I say he would've quit! Good thing his beloved ref was there to save him!

Now I know what you are just with thatquote, a tea sippin Calsucky fan, mate, are you frustrated? You don't like me talking about Joe like that hey? Just like the other Calzaghe fans you can't handle the truth, my homework is done chump!
I'm sorry dude but Manfredo had no chance if both of Calzaghe's hands were broken. Floyd Mayweather breaks his hand in nearly every fight he participates in and he has yet to stop because of his hand and continues to throw his broken hand at his opponents. Joe is a tough guy and would continue as well.

You guys need to calm it down a tad. Calzaghe Vs. Kessler will happen in time.

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Tommy is cool too man. I think you just rubbed him wrong dude. All in all it's a no biggie. I have been back and forth with many people about Floyd so no worries.

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Wow. This thread blew up in about 30 seconds. I went and took a shower and it got heated :) Goodness will Kessler and Calzaghe go ahead and get this over with? A week from right now all of us will be around a TV waiting for the most anticipated PPV in a long time. My plane leaves thursday guys so I might not be around as much until sunday.

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Yes. I got fairly good tickets as well. I really lucked out. I have a lot riding on the fight though. My best boxing bud is a HUGE Oscar fan and we bet $3000 each, straight up against each other. Winner gets paid and loser has to pay up the 3 grand plus a pair of tickets to the winner's next fight!

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I would put Shane Mosley up there with Floyd. Shane is a tad bit slower though. I just think Floyd's unique style will frustrate Oscar and he will start swinging for the fences late.

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Lefthook said:
Geez man, that's big money, i'm pretty confident that you'll win this bet, i've never been more sure of a prediction in my life, Oscar has never fought a heavily skilled fighter like Floyd, not even Sweet Pea
Nope, Tommy. I'm in the right one!

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
ERIK said:
Why?

It depends on where the fight is etc but if Kessler is comin to UK & Warren gets all TV rights etc why would Kessler also have to take the short money :dunno:
Calzaghe is the bigger draw IMO. But if the rights are screwed up like that then I would understand a different pay.

· Premium Member
22,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
I'm sure you can search online and find the facts. But is this really so important as to prove one another wrong? If so I'm all for it! :) I am just wondering...

Also, I am not picking sides but if Kessler drew 27,000 for Andrade I could see 35000 easy for Calzaghe. But IMO Calzaghe would be the big DRAW!

1 - 16 of 111 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.