Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WBC/WBO/WBA super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe has promised to "kick the arse" of light heavyweight champ Bernard Hopkins when they fight on April 19 at the Thomas & Mack Arena in Las Vegas.

The fighters exchanged unpleasant words at December's weigh-in for Floyd Mayweather vs. Ricky Hatton in Las Vegas, and the tension built from there. The highlight of the verbal exchange was Hopkins' comment of "I will never lose to a white boy," which received outrage from boxing fans of all colors.

"It did piss me off, but it was more embarrassing for himself," Calzaghe. "He made himself look like an idiot. I wasn't offended because I know what is going to happen. I'm not going to lose to a black guy, a white guy, a yellow guy, a purple guy or a green guy, I'm not going to lose full stop. It's a stupid comment from him. At the end of the day it takes a lot to get under my skin, and that doesn't get under my skin at all.”

"I know what is going to happen because when I get in the ring he is going to get beaten. He lost to Roy Jones, he lost to Jermain Taylor but I'm undefeated since 1992. Let's wait until the fight and then we'll see who the legend is."

Other than Hopkins' comment about his skin color, Calzaghe felt the weigh-in confrontation was the perfect spark to ignite his fire for the fight.

"I came face to face with Hopkins at the weigh-in which was brilliant," said Calzaghe. "I spoke to Frank Warren and I said that's the fight I want. Now the fight is on, I'm really, really excited. The next thing is the hard work, going out there and kicking his arse. Ricky Hatton fought a hard fight against Mayweather, but British fans are going to see a win and a spectacular win, Joe Calzaghe smashing it out of...what's his name...Mary Popkins."

Calzaghe is hoping that Hopkins actually fights and doesn't run around the ring or tries to use any kind of dirty tactics in the fight.

"Let's hope he doesn't run, let's hope the ring isn't as big as the arena, I'll smash him up and sort him out. I always come to fight. I always look to fight a hard fight. I fight with my heart as well as my brain. I hope he's not going to spoil and be dirty. He head-butted Winky Wright twice and got away with it. I'm hoping for a fair fight with a fair referee and fair judges. Hopkins says this is going to be his last fight, so he better enjoy it and come to fight."

As far as a possible future bout with Roy Jones, Calzaghe is more interested in fighting the winner of the Kelly Pavlik-Jermain Taylor rematch, taking place on February. 16.

"I'm more interested in the winner of Taylor-Pavlik next to be honest," said Calzaghe. "I'd rather fight a guy in his prime. They are the fights I get up for, big, big fights."

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Man i cant wait, joes a better fighter than popkins. I see popkins making the fight tricky but joe will wear him down and win maybe middle rounds 6-8 rounds stoppage. Calzaghes the man and is the real legend in this fight.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
i read an article from the canadian press that worded this interview differently yesterday. what gave me a chuckle was the fact that calzaghe is worried hopkins will try and run:laugh:

for all those predicting calzaghe to stop hopkins you guys need some serious help!:p

·
Banned
589 Posts
Man i cant wait, joes a better fighter than popkins. I see popkins making the fight tricky but joe will wear him down and win maybe middle rounds 6-8 rounds stoppage. Calzaghes the man and is the real legend in this fight.

Pfffft Wtf Hopkins Has Never Been Stopped In His Career This Is A Fighter That Has A Tremendous Amount Of Guile And An Indominable Will In '94 He Fought A Fighter Named Segundo Mercado In Mercado's Native Land Of Ecuador And Was Put On The Canvas By Mercado Twice And Still Fought To A Draw B Hop Is One OF The Most Skillfully Slick Fighters Of All Time Its Very Rare For Bernard To Take A Clean Shot Let Alone Be Hurt If Anyone Is Going To Abuse Calzaghe Its Hopkins He Has The Ability And Tools It Takes To Take The Wind Out Of Joe's Sail Hopkins Can Nuetrilize Speed And Take Away Your Power At The Same Time I've Said It Over And Over Again Hopkins Is Floyd At 175 I See Hopkins Taking His Time Circlying Away From Calzaghe's Power And Picking His Shots Aswell As Countering From Time To Time What Hopkins Lacks In Youth He Makes Up For In Experience Calzaghe's Major Flaw Is Not Gettin Rid Of His Father As A Trainer His Lack OF Solid Technique Will Be His Downfall

Oh Yea Since Wen Does Fighting One Solid Fighter Make you A Legend?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
First off the white boy comment was just dumb from B-Hop. I'm sure he didn't mean to say exactly that, but sometimes things come out at a press conference when your trying to stir the pot.

Fact is,
Calzaghe doesnt punch hard enough to stop Hopkins.

This will be a tricky fight for Joe. Hopkins has been able to nullify the attack of volume punchers very well throughout his career. But in some cases (taylor) he just hasn't ben active enough to get the win. Hopefully he'll lay it all out there against Joe so that we get a good fight from him. I believe he has the capability to beat Joe, but will he actually do it...thats the question.

·
Banned
589 Posts
First off the white boy comment was just dumb from B-Hop. I'm sure he didn't mean to say exactly that, but sometimes things come out at a press conference when your trying to stir the pot.

I Thought The White Boy Comment Was A Definition Of His Character Even Tho It Was Morally Wrong It Was Hopkins Saying My Pride Wont Allow Me To Lose It Has Nothing To Do With Racism But Coming From Where He Comes From Reputation Means A Hell Of Alot And Losing To a "White Fighter" Takes A Huge Chunk Out OF Your Rep I Really It Was Just Added Motivation For Hopkins Aswell As a Good Marketing Ploy We All Saw What He Did In Puerto Rico

·
Registered
17 Posts
First of all, where does this asumption come from that Calzaghe is a weak puncher? The guy has 32 Ko's in 44 fights, which isn't bad at all. That is not a preidiction of how I think the fight will end, but to all those thinking that JC doesnt hit hard you need to look again guys, seriously.

He may not be a one punch KO artist, but the fact that he throws 100 punches a round in many of his fights should lead you to the asumption that he wears opponents down.

I gurantee one thing, Calzaghe hits harder than Hopkins and couple that with the face that (typically) he out punches him by 4-1 and you get an idea of what Hopkins will have to do to win this fight.

I'll stick with my original prediction of a JC points victory but i'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a stoppage. :cheeky4::cheeky4:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I agree with alot of what you said Duran. But regarding the "power": You said it yourself, he throws 100 punches a round and *wears opponents down*.
The reason I said he doesnt have the power to KO Hopkins is because:

1) He wont land enough clean shots to KO Hopkins from accumulated damage

2) He doesnt have enough one punch power to KO Hopkins who has a granite chin.

Hopkins is too crafty and slick to take alot of clean punches from anyone, let alone Joe.
Now this isnt to diminish Joe as a fighter, because I think he's terrific. Its just a testament to how well Hopkins knows his craft. He's exceptionally difficult to damage.

I also firmly believe that Hopkins has more one-punch power than Joe. He just doesnt throw enough punches for my liking. (and for most judges, which is why he'll have a tough time winning this fight)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Both fighters have granite chins, Hopkins is the guy who's been on queer street before though so if theres gonna be a fighter getting stopped it wont be Joe.

I agree with with Captain though, this one's going the full 12 rounds!

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think the smart money is on Joe I hear all the facts about Hopkins and I have seen a few of his fights and let me say that there is something very unatractive (dirty) about the way he fights.I for one would love to see him get K.O but don't see it happening he will hold head butt,use shoulder,forarms whatever is nessesary not to be knocked out.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hopkins will throw the right hand then clinch, he won't engage at any point and any time Joe gets into the fight he'll use illegal tactics to stop it.

I find it funny how alot of fans call this 'greatness' from Hop but prior to the Mayweather vs. Hatton bout the same fans were going crazy calling for the referee not to allow this kind of thing. I can't wait to see Hopkins spanked by a white boy, massive respect to Joe for the way he handled that situation. I know for sure if someone says that to me i send the insult right back...

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopkins will throw the right hand then clinch, he won't engage at any point and any time Joe gets into the fight he'll use illegal tactics to stop it.

I find it funny how alot of fans call this 'greatness' from Hop but prior to the Mayweather vs. Hatton bout the same fans were going crazy calling for the referee not to allow this kind of thing. I can't wait to see Hopkins spanked by a white boy, massive respect to Joe for the way he handled that situation. I know for sure if someone says that to me i send the insult right back...
Great point about the holding Tom, i was thinking the exact same thing myself.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

I agree, And I hate how Hop is being called a "slick" fighter. Headbutting and elbows is not the definition of a slick fighter.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I agree with alot of what you said Duran. But regarding the "power": You said it yourself, he throws 100 punches a round and *wears opponents down*.

Hopkins is too crafty and slick to take alot of clean punches from anyone, let alone Joe.
Now this isnt to diminish Joe as a fighter, because I think he's terrific. Its just a testament to how well Hopkins knows his craft. He's exceptionally difficult to damage.

I also firmly believe that Hopkins has more one-punch power than Joe. He just doesnt throw enough punches for my liking. (and for most judges, which is why he'll have a tough time winning this fight)
great post, cap! i agree with everything you said:thumbsup:

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts

the thing is the way hatton goes about doing his "thing" differently imo. hatton smothers fighters for most of the fight while hopkins doesn't.

I agree, And I hate how Hop is being called a "slick" fighter. Headbutting and elbows is not the definition of a slick fighter.
the word "slick" doesn't fit hopkins. the word "crafty" describes him better.

·
Registered
17 Posts

The two parts I have highlighted are where I take a different view, Cappo. Yes, Joe does throw 100 punches in rounds and over 1000 in fights that go the distance, but he has beaten fighters like Veit (twice), Mitchell, and Woodhall (all of whom are world level pros) by KO/TKO and looked damn impressive in doing so. Mitchell had never been stopped until Calzaghe and had only suffered a flash KD in his career until he was anihilated by JC. I'm not trying to say that those fighters are as good as Hopkins, just trying to emphasise that Joe does have KO power.

Secondly, Hopkins has never been known for his KO power and given the fact that he is fighting at LH, two divisons above where he made his name, I can't see his punching power having any real effect in Joe.

However, like I already said, its more than likely that Popkins will try to suffocate Calzaghe and drag the fight into the gutter, but I can see JC using his superior hand speed to rack up the points and come away the winner with a comfortable UD. :thumbsup:

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
so, you pretty much see this fight play out the way the jones/hopkins fight did then. this could happen as i've been saying all along. if hopkins was the same fighter he was back then i'd go with calzaghe unconditionally, but he's not. i know some think that calzaghe has always been as fast as roy was, but i don't think that's the case at all. calzaghe is not going to win this fight on hand speed alone. he's going to have to get down and dirty against the executioner;)

1 - 20 of 178 Posts