Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Calzaghe: I'll Kick Hopkins Arse.

7K views 177 replies 25 participants last post by  Captainobvious 
i read an article from the canadian press that worded this interview differently yesterday. what gave me a chuckle was the fact that calzaghe is worried hopkins will try and run:laugh:

for all those predicting calzaghe to stop hopkins you guys need some serious help!:p

I agree with alot of what you said Duran. But regarding the "power": You said it yourself, he throws 100 punches a round and *wears opponents down*.
The reason I said he doesnt have the power to KO Hopkins is because:

1) He wont land enough clean shots to KO Hopkins from accumulated damage

2) He doesnt have enough one punch power to KO Hopkins who has a granite chin.

Hopkins is too crafty and slick to take alot of clean punches from anyone, let alone Joe.
Now this isnt to diminish Joe as a fighter, because I think he's terrific. Its just a testament to how well Hopkins knows his craft. He's exceptionally difficult to damage.

I also firmly believe that Hopkins has more one-punch power than Joe. He just doesnt throw enough punches for my liking. (and for most judges, which is why he'll have a tough time winning this fight)
great post, cap! i agree with everything you said:thumbsup:

Hopkins will throw the right hand then clinch, he won't engage at any point and any time Joe gets into the fight he'll use illegal tactics to stop it.

I find it funny how alot of fans call this 'greatness' from Hop but prior to the Mayweather vs. Hatton bout the same fans were going crazy calling for the referee not to allow this kind of thing. I can't wait to see Hopkins spanked by a white boy, massive respect to Joe for the way he handled that situation. I know for sure if someone says that to me i send the insult right back...
the thing is the way hatton goes about doing his "thing" differently imo. hatton smothers fighters for most of the fight while hopkins doesn't.

I agree, And I hate how Hop is being called a "slick" fighter. Headbutting and elbows is not the definition of a slick fighter.
the word "slick" doesn't fit hopkins. the word "crafty" describes him better.

so, you pretty much see this fight play out the way the jones/hopkins fight did then. this could happen as i've been saying all along. if hopkins was the same fighter he was back then i'd go with calzaghe unconditionally, but he's not. i know some think that calzaghe has always been as fast as roy was, but i don't think that's the case at all. calzaghe is not going to win this fight on hand speed alone. he's going to have to get down and dirty against the executioner;)

Huh?? I've never heard anyone claim that...thats just foolish.

Joe *should* be able to cruise to a UD in this fight, but thats all dependent on what B-Hop decides to bring to the ring. Like I said, Hop i capable of winning the fight, I just dont think he'll fight the fight he needs to in order to win, unfortunately.
lol! go back and read some of the old calzaghe\roy jones threads, and you should catch some;)

i hear what you're saying, and i agree for the most part. i think that x is going to have to start earlier than he usually does. he can't afford to give away any rounds against a high volume "slapper" like calzaghe.

I'm taking Hopkins over Calzaghe. I find it funny how many are saying Calzaghe will win easily or without much problems. LOL. They must not watch much boxing
welcome to the minority, dawg!:thumbsup:

OK Calsaghe wins unanimously dealing with all the problems hopkins difficult style will present...:D
LMAO! that's more like it!

Nice, what kind of work do you do? It is obviously something that allows you to use the computer relatively freely, which is sweet.
i'm a network admin at a small company, so i get to stay on a bit;) however, being that the company is small i get pulled into some dumb $hit let me tell ya:laugh:

Calzaghe must not rise to taunts
By Mike Costello
BBC Radio 5 Live boxing correspondent

Bernard Hopkins taunts Joe Calzaghe in December before the Hatton-Mayweather fight Hopkins told Calzaghe he would "never to lose to a white boy"
Big fights are like expensive, exotic holidays. The build-up and the memories are very much part of package.

And Joe Calzaghe's 19 April showdown with Bernard Hopkins, although announced officially only this week, was sealed at lunchtime in Las Vegas on 7 December.

On the eve of Hatton-Mayweather, when Calzaghe strolled into the Media Centre at the MGM Grand Hotel, Hopkins responded as though the timekeeper had rung the first bell.

Just as Hatton played the good guy to Mayweather's pantomime villain, so Calzaghe appeared content to soak up the barbs as the two men compared nostrils.

Hopkins and his vow "never to lose to a white boy" was just the start. Calzaghe laughed it off at the time and was still chuckling when I spoke to him this week.

But the journey from here back to Vegas in April will be littered with such insults and at times Calzaghe will want to take the pin out of his own grenade.

It is a test of character separate from the examination in the ring, and rarely does a fighter pass the second having failed the first.

Calzaghe has long yearned for a move up to light-heavyweight and in Hopkins he faces a man who is naturally no bigger

Hatton claimed all along that Mayweather could not dismantle him mentally.

Yet, at the final head-to-head press conference, with Mayweather taunting for one last time, Hatton ended a session of push-and-shove by making his widely-publicised throat-slit gesture.

It was out of character, which is precisely where the Pretty Boy wanted to take him.

So Calzaghe will have come away from Vegas last month with much more than the trophy for BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

The experience was vital, for it is difficult to gauge from afar the mania of fight week in Vegas.

On the flip side, Calzaghe also sampled the euphoria. The ovation he received at the weigh-in was barely bettered by the rapturous one which greeted Hatton.

Next time, it is Calzaghe's turn on centre stage, and although the fight will register as one of the biggest of 2008, it will not upstage Hatton-Mayweather for two significant reasons.

The home fighter is past his best. And the visitor has yet to cement a following in the States.

Joe Calzaghe (right) poses with Ricky Hatton and the Sports Personality of the year award in Las Vegas
Calzaghe (right) must learn from Hatton's experience in Las Vegas

Calzaghe has impressed TV executives there but some writers and fans still want convincing.

"Stay-at-Home Joe" is the label they have used until now, and Hopkins has chimed in, even though he himself made not one of the 20 defences of his world middleweight crowns outside the US.

Whatever the American viewpoint, Joe recognises that a big success in the town they call Lost Wages will be a significant boost to his legacy.

Two fights, considered together, define the Welshman. Against Jeff Lacy, his skill and speed were breathtaking. Against Mikkel Kessler, he found grit and resilience in adversity.

All round, the definition of a boxing great.

He has long yearned for a move up to light-heavyweight and in Hopkins he faces a man who is naturally no bigger.

In addition, Calzaghe's frame has the scope to carry the extra poundage, which could hardly be said of Hatton.

Hopkins has won his last two contests against decent, if jaded, opposition to bolster his impressive record against southpaws.

But in 2005, Jermain Taylor twice demonstrated that a younger, busier, snappier man can take the ex-con's measure.

And Calzaghe can do everything Taylor does, only better.

I don't think someone will get hurt in this fight. There will be fireworks but given their styles I highly doubt there will be any KO or KD. It will be a chess match maybe high speed chess at best. I know B-Hop is past his prime but there's no way Joe is gonna put on a clinic. B-Hop is a master at what he does and I think he will lose a very close fight because of Calzaghe's workrate.
if hopkins loses then this is exactly how i see it happening;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.