Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joe Calzaghe has ruled out fighting America's WBC and WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik this year.

The Welshman had been tipped to fight Pavlik, who eased to a third-round defeat of Calzaghe's stable-mate Gary Lockett in Atlantic City last week.

But the 36-year-old Calzaghe told the South Wales Argus: "A lot of people would love to see it.

"However, at this point, I think it's unlikely. I'm not sure if Pavlik really wants to face me at the moment."

Calzaghe, the world's best at super-middleweight and light-heavyweight, added: "He would have little to gain because I believe I would definitely beat him and, with respect to Gary Lockett, I would be a step-up too far for Pavlik."

However, after the victory over Lockett - his 30th career knockout in 34 victories - the 26-year-old Pavlik said: "Joe Calzaghe would be a great fight for me."

A showdown between power-puncher Pavlik and Calzaghe, boxing's longest-reigning world champion, would excite the sport's fans on both sides of the Atlantic.

"It would be a great fight for Joe," admitted Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren. "But it's up to Joe, not Kelly Pavlik, whether the fight will happen."

And the dismissal of Pavlik would suggest that a deal for Calzaghe to fight American legend Roy Jones is close to being sealed.

"Talks are ongoing about me facing Roy Jones, a genuine legend of boxing and a previous four-weight world champion," said Calzaghe. "That is a fight that I think can be made.

"Pavlik's got the world at his feet at middleweight or super-middleweight and will want to build his unbeaten record, rather than stepping up at least one weight category to face me.

"It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we will face each other, but I think Jones is the right fight for me at the moment."
From BBC.CO.UK/Sport

Makes it sound like he might fight Pavlik next year. IMO if he fights Jones then pavlik, he can leave the sport with his head held high having achieved all he can do.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
as much as I like Calzaghe, from a few things he said there I think he is afraid to fight Kelly. Seriously. Hell, I'd be scared crapless if I fought him to give Joe credit.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Calzaghe needs to fight Pavlik before he retires. RJ will put up a good fight but Pavlik is the only man around Calzaghe's weight that can beat him IMO.
I think we will see it, if it does happen cant wait to see the odds since Joe is waiting
till then.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Both fights are easy for a guy like Calzaghe, people need to relise he's a different animal from these guys.

Roy will lose every round maybe even being stopped late and Pavlik is tailor made for him. These come forward guys like Pavlik are always out - classed by Joe, he's in his glory fighting them.

His best performances have been against come forward guys.

Brewer.
Sheika.
Lacy
Kessler.

Pavlik will be added to that list too, he's not in Joe's class.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Both fights are easy for a guy like Calzaghe, people need to relise he's a different animal from these guys.

Roy will lose every round maybe even being stopped late and Pavlik is tailor made for him. These come forward guys like Pavlik are always out - classed by Joe, he's in his glory fighting them.

His best performances have been against come forward guys.

Brewer.
Sheika.
Lacy
Kessler.

Pavlik will be added to that list too, he's not in Joe's class.
even in roy' declined state joe' not going to be able to accomplish this:rolleyes:

calzaghe wouldn't beat pavlik easily, and you know it. it'll be calzaghe/kessler redux.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
even in roy' declined state joe' not going to be able to accomplish this:rolleyes:

calzaghe wouldn't beat pavlik easily, and you know it. it'll be calzaghe/kessler redux.
Say What?

What has Roy done since been being brutaly KO'd twice sugest to you he's anywhere near Calzaghe level?

I consider the Kessler fight pretty one sided apart from the two or three big shots. Pavlik will be easier than that.

Remember you heard it here first. :laugh:

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Say What?

What has Roy done since been being brutaly KO'd twice sugest to you he's anywhere near Calzaghe level?

I consider the Kessler fight pretty one sided apart from the two or three big shots. Pavlik will be easier than that.

Remember you heard it here first. :laugh:
he still got the handspeed and hits harder than your boy whether you realize it or not.

i know you like to big up kessler to make your man' win over him look that much better, but come on. no way he makes easy work of pavlik. NO WAY!

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
He said he'd be Hopkins easy by a landslide. :laugh: Easy must = SD
That fight was not close. If Nard had boxed instead of try to survive it would have been even more one - sided.

Please debate without bringing into questions the knowledge of another poster. Edited. truebluefan

Calzaghe beat Hopkins fighting him at his own fight.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.