Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CLINTON WOODS will face Joe Calzaghe in a Battle of Britain if he beats Antonio Tarver.

Woods, 35, can add the IBO light-heavyweight title to his his IBF crown by defeating Tarver in Orlando on Saturday night.

And a showdown against Calzaghe will follow unless the undefeated Welshman loses to Bernard Hopkins on April 19.

Speaking exclusively to The Sun, Woods said: "The fight I want is Calzaghe. I hope Joe takes Hopkins apart the week after I destroy Tarver.

"The way Hopkins has gone about their Press conferences is an absolute disgrace. I want Joe to beat him as it would set up a great fight between us.

"He wants to fight me and I think it'll happen. It's in the national interest and the clash is the natural next step if we both win our fights."

Calzaghe, 36, has vowed to hang up his gloves by the end of the year.

And an all-British clash in front of 50,000 fans at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium in October would be the perfect way to bring the curtain down on a glittering career.

Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren said: "If Woods comes through against Tarver, and that's a really big fight for him, I think he will capture the imagination of a lot of American fans.

"It would then make a lot of sense for him to fight Joe next.

"British fans loves domestic showdowns and it would make sense for both guys."

Dennis Hobson, who promotes Woods, added: "We have made verbal agreements to bring Clinton and Joe together."
Source: The Sun

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
That's not the fight I want to see Joe end his career on.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
That's not the fight I want to see Joe end his career on.
Dont worry it wont be Bernard Hopkins will retire him :cheeky4:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I got Tarver beating Woods. So I guess the fight won't be going on.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Calz vs Jjr. > Calz vs Woods imo.

So if Calz wins his fight with Bhop(wich i think he will) im sure Calz would rather face Jones than Woods.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Calzaghe wants to fight Kelly Pavlik after he beats Nard, thats the logical fight for him.

He'd have beat the best fighter from 160, 168 and 175 Pavlik, Kessler and Hopkins.

Thatys basicly wiping out 3 divisions.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Why on God's green earth would Joe want to fight Woods? Doesnt make any sense at all. If he wants to retire with TWO great KO wins back to back then maybe he should ;)

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Its a decent back-up plan if Pavlik decides he isn't ready to step up to 168lbs just yet. I don't care for seeing Jones vs. Calzaghe, but its highly likely to happen because of $$$.

·
8,579 Posts
screw that fight...lets see Roy Jones vs Joe Calzaghe
How in the world does Roy Jones Jr deserve to meet Calzaghe?? He got iced by Tarver and Johnson both humiliating KO's. Since he has fought 2 clubfighters and an overweight Tito Trinidad who hadnt been in a ring for 2 1/2 yrs. At this stage Jones is not a legit contender

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Bernard Hopkins is 2-2 in his last 4, so your logic doesn't work here.

Don't mention the judging. I know.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts

Jones lost 2 of those 3 fights by brutal knockout though.

oh boy here we go............

I'd give jones a better chance than woods. I mean jones iced woods.
And Woods will ice Tarver the guy who iced Jones twice.

Of course thats bad logic we both used there though.

·
8,579 Posts

Sure you know as well as I do Hopkins was royally screwed against Taylor But anyway he wasnt brutally Ko'd twice and humiliated by Tarver Hopkins just too Tarver to school:cheeky4:
How did it go " Got any excuses tonight Roy" ? :cheeky4:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I pick Jones over Calzaghe any day of the week, call me crazy but Jones still has faster hands than Cals and handspeed is Calz biggest weapon.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Yeah, and Jones had an amazing excuses for both of those ko'ed. He wasnt himself. He has won 3 straight, the guys have a record of over 100wins and only four loses. He's still a legit conteder..

1 - 20 of 71 Posts