Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Mark Vester

Promoter Frank Warren told The Telegraph that if Roy Jones Jr. wants a crack at Joe Calzaghe, he has agree to all of their terms to make the fight happen. Warren says that Calzaghe chased fights with Jones and Bernard Hopkins for years and neither boxer seemed to care.

Last Saturday, Calzaghe won a split-decision over Hopkins in Las Vegas and Jones has emerged as the front-runner to face Calzaghe on November 15, which is also slated to be the final bout of the Welsh fighter's career.

Early reports have said Calzaghe-Jones would take place at the Millenium Stadium in Wales, but the paper says the proposed November date is unavailable because of a conflict with an already scheduled rugby game between Wales and Canada. Warren hinted to the paper that he may decide to move the fight to Las Vegas, under the right conditions and terms.

"Joe is 'the man' now, he is the first fighter to hold the Ring Magazine super-middle and light-heavyweight titles concurrently, and if Jones wants to fight Joe, he will have to agree to our terms. Who's the legend now? All those years that we chased a fight for Joe with Hopkins and Jones, and it's a great feeling now that the fighters over here are chasing us," Warren said.

"We've had the last laugh on everybody who ridiculed Joe. I said years ago that Joe would be the fighter for this decade. And here he is - a 15-year overnight sensation. There are quite a few options. We need to let the dust settle. At the moment, he needs to rest and relax. But at least Joe has broken America."

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
No doubt Jones is gonna have to play by Joes rules. Joe could retire happy at this point and Jones seems to want this fight more than anything so I would LOVE to see this fight back in Wales.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
of course roy wants this fight. i think for the first time in a longtime we'll see roy very accomadating during negotiations. this is his last shot at glory as far as i'm concerned. he'll need to let it all hang out against calzaghe.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Calzaghe holds 5 world titles right now, Jones will take what he's given. :D

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Joe should say to hell with Jones and try to fight someone like Pavlik. If it is true that Joe chased Jones for years and Jones didn't care, why give Roy a shot now that he is needing it? Let him keep fighting club fighters and 147 pounders!

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Joe should say to hell with Jones and try to fight someone like Pavlik. If it is true that Joe chased Jones for years and Jones didn't care, why give Roy a shot now that he is needing it? Let him keep fighting club fighters and 147 pounders!
who's more known pavlik or jones? who's name would look better on your ledger pavlik or jones? in all likelihood calzaghe beats both jones and pavlik, but jones ensures it will be a megafight. if i were calzaghe i'd fight pavlik after fighting jones. getting by another legend, and beating another strong, young champion would be an impressive way to cap off a career.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
who's more known pavlik or jones? who's name would look better on your ledger pavlik or jones? in all likelihood calzaghe beats both jones and pavlik, but jones ensures it will be a megafight. if i were calzaghe i'd fight pavlik after fighting jones. getting by another legend, and beating another strong, young champion would be an impressive way to cap off a career.
Jones is washed up. Joe would get zero credit for beating Jones. As soon as anyone talked about this fight, the first thong coming out of the mouth is Jones was old and past his prime. At least Pavlik is in his prime.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Jones is washed up. Joe would get zero credit for beating Jones. As soon as anyone talked about this fight, the first thong coming out of the mouth is Jones was old and past his prime. At least Pavlik is in his prime.
the same was said about hopkins to a certain extent and joe still fought him. people weren't saying he's washed up, but everyone knew hopkins wasn't the fighter he was and couldn't fight like he was accustomed to. i honestly don't want to see calzaghe fight pavlik anytime soon. i think he beats him similar to the way he beat kessler. i think a fight with jones would ultimately be more entertaining.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
the same was said about hopkins to a certain extent and joe still fought him. people weren't saying he's washed up, but everyone knew hopkins wasn't the fighter he was and couldn't fight like he was accustomed to. i honestly don't want to see calzaghe fight pavlik anytime soon. i think he beats him similar to the way he beat kessler. i think a fight with jones would ultimately be more entertaining.
But Hop was still a P4P fighter with a Ring Mag belt. OF course Hop is not the same fighter, but Joe will get a lot more credit for a win against Hop then Jones. I also think Joe beats Pavlik. I think the first couple rounds would be entertaining with Jones, but Jones can't go 12 rounds with that type of pressure. I think he would have to KO Joe early to win.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
But Hop was still a P4P fighter with a Ring Mag belt. OF course Hop is not the same fighter, but Joe will get a lot more credit for a win against Hop then Jones. I also think Joe beats Pavlik. I think the first couple rounds would be entertaining with Jones, but Jones can't go 12 rounds with that type of pressure. I think he would have to KO Joe early to win.
i think jones could go longer than you think being i think he's in his beat shape since returning to 175lbs. so, i'd say at least the first half of the fight would be eye-catching.

hopkins definately had more for calzaghe to take....this is true. but, i think overall jones still is viewed in a better light by the casual fan mainly because of his style. not to mention, he was the fighter of the decade and all that jazz. if hopkins was a little bit faster he may have very well beaten calzaghe. jones still has considerable speed, and that in itself would present calzaghe with a sterner challenge than that of pavlik imo.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I guess we shall see, because I do think this fight is going to get made.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No way Roy can fight at Joe's pace, even the pace of the hopkins fight would be way to fast for him.

Roy aint as smart a fighter as Nard either when it comes to distance control, Calzaghe will almost double his workrate from the Hopkins fight against Roy.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Seeing as RJJ is one of my all time favs and Calzaghe is currently my fav fighter this fight will be tough to watch. It would be a good fight but as I said before I still think Jones has it in him. Theres no shame in losing to him if I were Calzaghe.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
roy's not knocking calzaghe out....we all know this. like i said i think roy' handspeed presents calzaghe with some difficulty. if he still had his legs i'd pick him to win the fight outright, but the fact is he doesn't.

1 - 20 of 235 Posts