Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a recent interview with Setanta Sports, undisputed super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe took aim at Bernard Hopkins, saying the light heavyweight champ has not achieved anything more than him. The two will collide on April 19 in Las Vegas. Calzaghe broke down the record of Hopkins and said he was far from impressed with the champion's resume.

"He hasn’t achieved any more than I’ve achieved in my career,” Calzaghe said. “He held the middleweight championship of the world for ten years and that’s fair enough. But look at the two biggest names he managed to beat, De la Hoya and Trinidad, both of them are welterweights.

"He beat Tarver at light-heavyweight but big deal! Tarver must have lost about four stone after making the Rocky movie! At the end of the day, Hopkins struggled with 'Winky' Wright at light-heavyweight and he’s going to struggle with me. He’s beaten ten southpaws in his time but he’s never met a southpaw like me and I think he’s going to be shocked by what he finds when the first bell goes on April 19."

Calzaghe is planning to retire by the end of 2008. He says the super middleweight division is a thing of the past, but he's willing to move down for one man - WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, who would have to move up in weight to make the fight. If he can't land a fight with Pavlik, other possible fights, at light heavyweight, include Roy Jones Jr. and the winner of the upcoming Clinton Woods-Antonio Tarver showdown.

”I’m probably finished with super-middleweight. I’ll have to wait and see. I’ll have to weigh up my options after this fight,” Calzaghe said. ”I’m still the super-middleweight champion of the world but, realistically, the only fight that I’d consider coming back down for would be against Kelly Pavlik.

”He’s an excellent fighter and he beat Jermain Taylor again earlier this year so that’s the only big fight for me at super-middleweight. I beat the top dog in the division, Mikkel Kessler, quite convincingly so it was time for pastures new. And, after I sort out Bernard Hopkins, you’ve got Roy Jones, the winner of Clinton Woods against Antonio Tarver. Or, as I said, Pavlik. They're the only names that interest me.”

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your saying that wont be a fight worth watching?

I think after Calzaghe beats up on Hopkins he can have and will get whoever he wants.
God knows what his problem is, glad to see this fight in the works maybe.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Your saying that wont be a fight worth watching?

I think after Calzaghe beats up on Hopkins he can have and will get whoever he wants.
No I'm saying that the ongoing "Hop wants Pavlik, Roy wants Calzaghe, Calzaghe, wants Pavlik, Pavlik wants Kessler, Kessler wants Hop, Winky wants Pavlik crap gets really old when there are still fights to come to a result before the future can even be negotiated. Hopkins-Calzaghe has to end before any of this crap with them two can go forward. Every day there's a new "potential matchup" between someone from 160-175. Just pick two and there's already been a story.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Everybody wants everybody. Calzaghe is fighting bhop in a few weeks. He better not want anyone until that fight is over.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I heard few weeks back that Pavlik back down at 168 interests Joe much more than anything else at 175 should he pass by Hopkins. That would be a great fight, also Kelly KO'ing one of his stable mates in June will add a storyline to the fight..

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I'm saying that the ongoing "Hop wants Pavlik, Roy wants Calzaghe, Calzaghe, wants Pavlik, Pavlik wants Kessler, Kessler wants Hop, Winky wants Pavlik crap gets really old when there are still fights to come to a result before the future can even be negotiated. Hopkins-Calzaghe has to end before any of this crap with them two can go forward. Every day there's a new "potential matchup" between someone from 160-175. Just pick two and there's already been a story.

Thats boxing for ya.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yeah, this sort of thing always happens in boxing i dont see the big issue. I highly doubt Calzaghe-Pavlik ever happens, Calzaghe is retiring at the end of 2008 and Pavlik won't be at 168lbs until at least early 2009. Maybe he'll have one more fight if Pavlik is available.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
i say take a cue from the WWE and throw all the guys in an "Elimination Chamber" match. :D

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, this sort of thing always happens in boxing i dont see the big issue. I highly doubt Calzaghe-Pavlik ever happens, Calzaghe is retiring at the end of 2008 and Pavlik won't be at 168lbs until at least early 2009. Maybe he'll have one more fight if Pavlik is available.
Pavlik fought his last fight at 166 so 168 wont be a problem for him if the moneys right IMO.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I hope this fight does happen it would be a good one.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I would like to see Pavlik vs Kessler first let Kelly earn his shot at Cal. I am always amazed at how easy people talk about guys moving up and challenging the top guy.All except for you know who. Some how Cotto is supposed to keep earning his shot and apparently nobody else is deserving of the honor!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
lol kessler does not know what he wants to do.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Pavlik fought his last fight at 166 so 168 wont be a problem for him if the moneys right IMO.
Pavlik should wait to fight at 168 til he believes that's where he wants to be. It gets tougher to lose those few extra pounds when you build yourself into a higher fighting weight.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pavlik should wait to fight at 168 til he believes that's where he wants to be. It gets tougher to lose those few extra pounds when you build yourself into a higher fighting weight.
I dont think Kelly struggles to much to make 160 so if the money is right he can do 168 and head back down win or lose.

He's doing this now, he'd probably make around $10m for a fight with Calzaghe at 168 and that is just to good to refuse.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.