Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Calzaghe Wants Pavlik.

3K views 73 replies 16 participants last post by  TommyGunn 
#1 ·
In a recent interview with Setanta Sports, undisputed super middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe took aim at Bernard Hopkins, saying the light heavyweight champ has not achieved anything more than him. The two will collide on April 19 in Las Vegas. Calzaghe broke down the record of Hopkins and said he was far from impressed with the champion's resume.

"He hasn’t achieved any more than I’ve achieved in my career,” Calzaghe said. “He held the middleweight championship of the world for ten years and that’s fair enough. But look at the two biggest names he managed to beat, De la Hoya and Trinidad, both of them are welterweights.

"He beat Tarver at light-heavyweight but big deal! Tarver must have lost about four stone after making the Rocky movie! At the end of the day, Hopkins struggled with 'Winky' Wright at light-heavyweight and he’s going to struggle with me. He’s beaten ten southpaws in his time but he’s never met a southpaw like me and I think he’s going to be shocked by what he finds when the first bell goes on April 19."

Calzaghe is planning to retire by the end of 2008. He says the super middleweight division is a thing of the past, but he's willing to move down for one man - WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik, who would have to move up in weight to make the fight. If he can't land a fight with Pavlik, other possible fights, at light heavyweight, include Roy Jones Jr. and the winner of the upcoming Clinton Woods-Antonio Tarver showdown.

”I’m probably finished with super-middleweight. I’ll have to wait and see. I’ll have to weigh up my options after this fight,” Calzaghe said. ”I’m still the super-middleweight champion of the world but, realistically, the only fight that I’d consider coming back down for would be against Kelly Pavlik.

”He’s an excellent fighter and he beat Jermain Taylor again earlier this year so that’s the only big fight for me at super-middleweight. I beat the top dog in the division, Mikkel Kessler, quite convincingly so it was time for pastures new. And, after I sort out Bernard Hopkins, you’ve got Roy Jones, the winner of Clinton Woods against Antonio Tarver. Or, as I said, Pavlik. They're the only names that interest me.”

See less See more
#11 ·
Yeah, this sort of thing always happens in boxing i dont see the big issue. I highly doubt Calzaghe-Pavlik ever happens, Calzaghe is retiring at the end of 2008 and Pavlik won't be at 168lbs until at least early 2009. Maybe he'll have one more fight if Pavlik is available.

#21 ·
That would be an excellent fight and it would end only 2 ways. Palik by KO or Calzaghe UD.

I wonder what Kelly walks around at, though. I'm pretty sure he takes very good care of himself between fights.

#22 ·
I only see it ending two ways too, Calzaghe UD or Calzaghe late stoppage.

Joe has got one of the best chins in boxing if not the best, he took some bombs off Kessler who id say hits harder than Pavlik, not forgeting Eubank to who hits harder than both those guys.

#33 ·
I Dont Think Joe Can Drop Him At All. One, I Feel Asthough Taylor Is A Bigger Puncher Than Joe, He Gets His Body Into His Punches And Is Willing to Throw Big Power Combo's. Two, Taylor Only Knocked Kelly Down Becuz He Stuck His Chin Out. But Like I Said In My Last Post, Its Clear Why Calzaghe Wants Him Becuz Kelly Cant Handle That Type Of Speed. Let Calzaghe Fight Roy, Roy Deserves A Big Fight Before His Career Is Truly Over.

#38 ·
Both Calzaghe & Pacquiao have solid chins, i don't think either could be knocked out by guys around there weight so does it matter whos is better?

Calzaghe would dominate Pavlik easily IMO. Kelly wouldn't vevn have a puncher's chance. And if Taylor dropped him I think Joe can.
My thoughts exactly. Once Calzaghe neutralized Pavlik's jab he would be in SERIOUS trouble.

#39 ·
Both Calzaghe & Pacquiao have solid chins, i don't think either could be knocked out by guys around there weight so does it matter whos is better?

My thoughts exactly. Once Calzaghe neutralized Pavlik's jab he would be in SERIOUS trouble.
Id say Pac has a not bad chin, ive seen him hurt by Both Morales (in there first fight) and also in the second fight with JMM, his legs went stiff a few times.

Calzaghe aint been KO'd, Pac has, twice.

#40 ·
Maybe its just me but i rank fighters like Calzaghe and Oliver McCall (guys who aint been KO'd) as fighters with the best chin.

I cant rank anyone who has been brutaly KO'd with them, especialy someone who has been brutaly KO'd twice.

#52 ·
Yeah yeah, we know how you pick your fights.
of course you are! i know you're thinking calzaghe is going to pitch a shutout, but you're trying to be nice and give hopkins a couple of rounds. you're not fooling me, bud:laugh:

this fight needs to get here tomorrow!
Calzaghe will win this one by a round or two, but he won't have Bernard even slightly hurt all night with his open-fisted punches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.