Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Undisputed lightweight king Nate Campbell released the following exclusive statement to FightNews regarding his challenge to Juan Manuel Marquez:

"When I got home to Jacksonville today and checked my email, I had hundreds of emails from fans asking me to call out Marquez, after the nice job he did on Casamayor. I don't really have much faith in this whole ‘calling out’ business, because I tried that with Casamayor, and with Pacquiao, and it got me nowhere. But if Juan Manual is interested in fighting me, I'm all for it. My position all along has been that I have an IBF mandatory (#1 ranked Ali Funeka) to take care of, but I'm sure for a fight of this magnitude something could be worked out with the Funeka kid and the IBF for him to step aside for one fight to allow me and Marquez to get it on. Some folks think I'm the best lightweight in the world, and some folks think that honor belongs to Marquez. Well no matter which way you have it, me and him are #1 and #2 in the division, and a fight between us clears it up once and for all as to who is the baddest man at 135. I'm ready to roll right now. Marquez just went 11 rounds, but he didn’t get seriously dinged up or anything so why not make this the co-feature to Oscar-Pacquiao on Dec 6th? He should be able to go again in two (with) and a half months no problem. The cynical side of me says no way this happens, that the in-house fight between Marquez and Diaz will get made instead. But I still wanted to put this statement out to let everyone know that I'm ready, willing, and more than able to send Marquez back down to 130, if the powers that be will just get out of the way and let it happen."

Nate Campbell
IBF/WBO/WBA lightweight Champion

G

·
Both would be great but I'd rather see this fight than Diaz-Marquez. The only thing is it could be a bit too soon for Marquez.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Way too soon, Campbell should fight Ali Funeka soon, with the winner getting a fight with Marquez early next year.
Nate's 36 years old, and he just spent four months screwing around with some clown that did nothing but waste his time. Don't know if Funeka is or isn't a good fight, but let's move directly on to the fight we really want to see, which in the LW Division is Marquez-Campbell. Golden Boy won't want to deal with Don King and Nate won't want to lose one of his Belts, and Marquez will want to playing the waiting game anyway, in order to figure out what happens to Pacquiao against De La Hoya, blah, blah, blah, in the end we end up getting something other than the obvious.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Nate's 36 years old, and he just spent four months screwing around with some clown that did nothing but waste his time. Don't know if Funeka is or isn't a good fight, but let's move directly on to the fight we really want to see, which in the LW Division is Marquez-Campbell. Golden Boy won't want to deal with Don King and Nate won't want to lose one of his Belts, and Marquez will want to playing the waiting game anyway, in order to figure out what happens to Pacquiao against De La Hoya, blah, blah, blah, in the end we end up getting something other than the obvious.

Well Marquez might not be ready for another fight in the next 3 months, he got hit with quite a few shots him self in the fight with Casamayor, Campbell can wait in till next year, having a good fight in between surely

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Both would be great but I'd rather see this fight than Diaz-Marquez. The only thing is it could be a bit too soon for Marquez.
What's the problem now, why too soon they're no spring chickens, they're both at their peaks, I say get a good rest and do it early next year is that good enough for you or what....

G

·
I'd like to see him fight Diaz aswell. I say the sooner the better considering it's the tail end of Marquez's career were talking about. Marquez-Campbell would be great too though.
No doubt man. I think we'll probably see Campbell having to settle for the Funeka fight though because I can't see Marquez taking this fight on late notice.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I agree Hugo, I think Marquez can handle Campbell. He looked very good against a guy who was often backing Chico Corrales up.
I'm telling you he's got to make the most of what time he's got left, this is certainly not the time to turn into a primadonna and star playing hard to get, there are about three or four opponents to make good money with and the time is now , and give it one more year he looks like he has it in him for sure...

I'd like to see him fight Diaz aswell. I say the sooner the better considering it's the tail end of Marquez's career were talking about. Marquez-Campbell would be great too though.
that would be a great match too but I think mabe he should save Diaz for last, him being perhaps the most dangerous of the bunch...

No doubt man. I think we'll probably see Campbell having to settle for the Funeka fight though because I can't see Marquez taking this fight on late notice.
What late notice ??? does he have a fight all ready line up, or a contract signed he just had a good win and Cambell got stood up, how much more available can they be for one another???

G

·
That would give him 11 weeks or so to get prepared for the fight going by the date in the article. Usually training camps last around that time, usually a bit less, but it doesn't give him much time for rest. Marquez is one of the tough guys in boxing so you never know, he might take the fight, but I doubt it.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
That would give him 11 weeks or so to get prepared for the fight going by the date in the article. Usually training camps last around that time, usually a bit less, but it doesn't give him much time for rest. Marquez is one of the tough guys in boxing so you never know, he might take the fight, but I doubt it.
This far ahead dates can be re-arranged this is a good match to make and worth the effort of everyone involved.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Undisputed lightweight king Nate Campbell released the following exclusive statement to FightNews regarding his challenge to Juan Manuel Marquez:

"When I got home to Jacksonville today and checked my email, I had hundreds of emails from fans asking me to call out Marquez, after the nice job he did on Casamayor. I don't really have much faith in this whole ‘calling out’ business, because I tried that with Casamayor, and with Pacquiao, and it got me nowhere. But if Juan Manual is interested in fighting me, I'm all for it. My position all along has been that I have an IBF mandatory (#1 ranked Ali Funeka) to take care of, but I'm sure for a fight of this magnitude something could be worked out with the Funeka kid and the IBF for him to step aside for one fight to allow me and Marquez to get it on. Some folks think I'm the best lightweight in the world, and some folks think that honor belongs to Marquez. Well no matter which way you have it, me and him are #1 and #2 in the division, and a fight between us clears it up once and for all as to who is the baddest man at 135. I'm ready to roll right now. Marquez just went 11 rounds, but he didn’t get seriously dinged up or anything so why not make this the co-feature to Oscar-Pacquiao on Dec 6th? He should be able to go again in two (with) and a half months no problem. The cynical side of me says no way this happens, that the in-house fight between Marquez and Diaz will get made instead. But I still wanted to put this statement out to let everyone know that I'm ready, willing, and more than able to send Marquez back down to 130, if the powers that be will just get out of the way and let it happen."

Nate Campbell
IBF/WBO/WBA lightweight Champion
This is the only fight that stands out to me at 35. I want to see this more than any other fight at the weight.
I'm with Dave on this one. I think we'll get a bunch of BS articles for the next two weeks, giving us the usual runaround. Campbell-Marquez NEEDS to happen.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
This is the fight that needs to happen> I'm in Nates corner all the way

WAR NATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Same here. That fight would be MASSIVE in Houston. In house fights like that (Golden Boy) is much easier to smooth out in the end. Nate always gets put on the back burner.
Still no news on this front. I'm thinking that being with Don King doesn't do Nate a whole lot of good right now, DK has a habit of leaving his guys sit on a Shelf for awhile unused, and that's not what a 36 year old needs to be doing. I know I wasn't that crazy about a Funeka fight, but it might beat DKP having Nate sit around till we get passed DLH-Manny in Dec and everyone plots their course for Spring/Summer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts