Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speed - Campbell<Guzman
No surprise here, Guzman holds the speed advantage against probably everyone in the lightweight division. Joan is fast in all categories, but more so in reflexes and foot speed. Nate is no slouch in any category, just not as fast, but then again he's not alone.

Power - Campbell>Guzman
Again no surprise here, JG hasn't knocked anyone out since 2004 when he was still fighting at 122. Campbell is the bigger man, he doesn't have that one punch KO power, but he has the type of damaging power that slows down his opponent to a point where he can consistently find the mark and stop his opponents.

Chin - Campbell<Guzman
This is a tough choice, but, although Guzman doesn't get hit cleanly much, when he does, he's shown a great beard as I've never seen him hurt, even against solid punchers. Nate has been knocked out twice in his career both times by good to average hitting Robbie Peden, so I'm giving the edge to Joan.

Stamina - Campbell=Guzman
This is a toss up, if you would've asked me before the Diaz fight I would've said Guzman, now I'm not so sure. Campbell outworked and outhustled Juan Diaz at his own game, which at the time was thought to be insurmountable, but before was outworked and beaten by Fransisco Lorenzo. Guzman has withstood an immense amount of body shots, borderline low blows, and low blows in fights against Humberto Soto and Jorge Barrios, but wasn't slowed down or hurt, the only thing with him is that he sometimes seems to take rounds off.

Experience - Campbell<Guzman
Another tough category, but I'm giving the edge to Guzman, he's fought 300+ amateur fights, title fights in different divisions, back and forth fights and blowouts, against undefeated, experienced, and determined opponents. Campbell is very experienced as well, with losses that he's turned into learning experiences, and an ability to switch styles from fight to fight. Lack of amateur experience and no title defenses give Joan the edge in this category.

The breakdown: To tell you the truth, I don't know what to make of this fight. I know it's going 12, we all know Guzman will be the fast and slick boxer he is, we don't know what strategy Campbell will use, hopefully (for me at least) the wrong one. I see Guzman being Guzman, making Campbell miss and throwing hard combos to the body to slow him down for the later rounds. Guzman will take the decision in the unknown that is Mississipi.
My analysis record: 1-1

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
You think Nate is going to win? I hope so.
Guzman style is all wrong for Campbell. I know that. But the jump in weight for Guzman concerns me. He left his power 3 divisions down. He has nothing to keep Campbell honest. Campbell knows that. I'm starting to think Campbell is going to bully his ass.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Guzman style is all wrong for Campbell. I know that. But the jump in weight for Guzman concerns me. He left his power 3 divisions down. He has nothing to keep Campbell honest. Campbell knows that. I'm starting to think Campbell is going to bully his ass.
Are you betting on this fight?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This fight bothers me. The more I think about it the more I start getting this nagging feeling
You too. I've been getting that too, something tells me Campbell is becoming too versatile and will come in with a good plan, plus he's hungry I know he doesn't want to lose those belts. This fight is too close for the odds to be that wide. I've seen most of Guzman's fight and he has one glaring weakness that I'll say after the fight so Nate doesn't accidentaly reads this.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
You too. I've been getting that too, something tells me Campbell is becoming too versatile and will come in with a good plan, plus he's hungry I know he doesn't want to lose those belts. This fight is too close for the odds to be that wide. I've seen most of Guzman's fight and he has one glaring weakness that I'll say after the fight so Nate doesn't accidentaly reads this.
That's another thing right there. Campbell worked hard to get them belts. He ain't trying to give them up. Plus If he losses, he losses alot. Without the belts not many people will fight him. To much risk. He needs to keep winning.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That's just one bet. I also got $250 on Casamayor. $100 on Sergio Mora. And $100 on Yutaka Niida. Niida fights Roman Gonzalez this coming Monday.
That much? That's 700 dollars. That's a lot. Oh Gerald. Good luck. And good night. I'm going to bed.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's another thing right there. Campbell worked hard to get them belts. He ain't trying to give them up. Plus If he losses, he losses alot. Without the belts not many people will fight him. To much risk. He needs to keep winning.
It was hard for him to get a fight with the belts, it's gonna be harder to get without em.
That's just one bet. I also got $250 on Casamayor. $100 on Sergio Mora. And $100 on Yutaka Niida. Niida fights Roman Gonzalez this coming Monday.
You getting good odds on those since there underdog bets, I think you lost 500 with Casamayor and Campbell. More so with Casa cuz I think he's shot.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
That much? That's 700 dollars. That's a lot. Oh Gerald. Good luck. And good night. I'm going to bed.
I can afford it. I actually use to bet more. But decided to bring the amount down.

You getting good odds on those since there underdog bets, I think you lost 500 with Casamayor and Campbell. More so with Casa cuz I think he's shot.
The Campbell fight might be a lost. Like I said Guzman style is wrong for him. But the Casamayor fight, nah. I'm expecting a win on that.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Guzman UD. I think alot of people will criticize the way Guzman wins this fight though.
If it's anything like his win over Soto, then it will be with good reason. Nate won't have to chase Guzman for long. I actually believe he will succeed in cutting off the ring and making him pay when he has him cornered. Guzman doesn't scare me the least bit when it comes to his power keeping Campbell at bay. He is fleet of hand and foot, so obviously that is going to be his major advantage. I agree with the sentiments of a lot of people on here. Although I have my own feelings for this fight, and I am going based on my heart and my head this time around, I think this fight is extremely tough to call and I can't wait to see it play out. I'm glad Casamayor passed up Campbell, because a win over Guzman means so much more right now.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, he needs to get Campbell's respect or Nate will try to walk through everything, but if that's what he's planning to do or if that's what he resorts to he already lost. IMO it's not that big of a deal because other guys haven't given Guzman much respect and have walked through his punches only for him to still win, frustrating them or not.

Nate has some of the tools needed to win, but they don't work for long because Guzman can adjust quickly, Nate worries me, but I think Joan will show why he's elite level and why guys haven't faced him in the past.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I think Guzman takes a decision, but im hoping Campell takes this one and will give Diaz a rematch.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My head keeps telling me Guzman will win this fight, but I am getting the same nagging feeling that Nate just will not let himself lose by any means. The more I talk to Nate about it the more I believe what he's saying.
Guzman UD. I think alot of people will criticize the way Guzman wins this fight though.
People will criticize Guzman until he retires for "running." So stupid.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts