Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IBF/WBO/WBA lightweight king Nate Campbell welcomes the opportunity to fight Juan Manuel Marquez, but not in November as proposed by Golden Boy Promotions. In regards to that potential fight, Campbell had this to say: "Let's do this. I'm ready to fight right now. But this waiting around until November business? What's that about? I'm ready to fight. I've BEEN ready to fight. I'm getting married in two weeks, and I can go straight to camp after my honeymoon. There's no reason this fight couldn't happen in late July or August. No reason at all.

"That's the problem today. See, all these cats sit around and only fight twice or three times a year, because their "promoter" won't do anything without HBO or Showtime paying the freight. I'm with Don King and One Punch. Now I leave the business stuff up to them, but I'm sure that if Golden Boy came with a reasonable number for Marquez, then Don could do this fight on PPV himself, and not sit around for seven months waiting on a damn date. Doesn't anybody actually promote fights anymore? A reporter who I like a lot told me one time, I won't say his name cause I don't want to jam him up, but anyways, he told me that Don and Arum are the only real "promoters" left anymore. That everyone else are just booking agents for the TV networks. Man, that cat knows his sh-t. So my thing is this. If Golden Boy really wants to make the Marquez fight, and isn't talking about November just to make both me and Marquez unavailable for a possible Pacquiao fight around that time, then lets go ahead and do this. Come up with a reasonable number for Marquez, get out of the way, and let Don distribute the damn fight.

"And one other thing. At least have the damn respect to notify the WBO that after playing all these games with us (Team Campbell and the WBO) for the past month regarding Casamayor fighting me, that you're still gonna do Casamayor-Diaz instead. That way, the WBO can strip his a--, and get him out of the way so either Khan or Peterson could be my WBO mandatory. Not only are you holding me up, but you're holding up these other guys who just want their shot. The shot that they fought for and earned, and the shot that you don't even want. Do the right thing, and stop playing these silly a-- games with peoples' careers."

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
IBF/WBO/WBA lightweight king Nate Campbell welcomes the opportunity to fight Juan Manuel Marquez, but not in November as proposed by Golden Boy Promotions. In regards to that potential fight, Campbell had this to say: "Let's do this. I'm ready to fight right now. But this waiting around until November business? What's that about? I'm ready to fight. I've BEEN ready to fight. I'm getting married in two weeks, and I can go straight to camp after my honeymoon. There's no reason this fight couldn't happen in late July or August. No reason at all.

"That's the problem today. See, all these cats sit around and only fight twice or three times a year, because their "promoter" won't do anything without HBO or Showtime paying the freight. I'm with Don King and One Punch. Now I leave the business stuff up to them, but I'm sure that if Golden Boy came with a reasonable number for Marquez, then Don could do this fight on PPV himself, and not sit around for seven months waiting on a damn date. Doesn't anybody actually promote fights anymore? A reporter who I like a lot told me one time, I won't say his name cause I don't want to jam him up, but anyways, he told me that Don and Arum are the only real "promoters" left anymore. That everyone else are just booking agents for the TV networks. Man, that cat knows his sh-t. So my thing is this. If Golden Boy really wants to make the Marquez fight, and isn't talking about November just to make both me and Marquez unavailable for a possible Pacquiao fight around that time, then lets go ahead and do this. Come up with a reasonable number for Marquez, get out of the way, and let Don distribute the damn fight.

"And one other thing. At least have the damn respect to notify the WBO that after playing all these games with us (Team Campbell and the WBO) for the past month regarding Casamayor fighting me, that you're still gonna do Casamayor-Diaz instead. That way, the WBO can strip his a--, and get him out of the way so either Khan or Peterson could be my WBO mandatory. Not only are you holding me up, but you're holding up these other guys who just want their shot. The shot that they fought for and earned, and the shot that you don't even want. Do the right thing, and stop playing these silly a-- games with peoples' careers."
He's right. Once again GBP is messing up great matchups.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Campbells own fault. He doesn't need to be waiting on a GBP fighter he could be making fights else where.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Cambell is really open and speaks whats on his mind, I like that. I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Marquez.
Marquez was talking about him during the Escobedo fight last night. I only understood a few words cause it was in spanish but I think he said Campbell was a great fighter and would probably be his next opponent. Maybe VD or Rotten A can confirm it. If Marquez is talking about him on TV that means we might see these 2 fight sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Campbells own fault. He doesn't need to be waiting on a GBP fighter he could be making fights else where.
A fight against Casamayor is the biggest money making opportunity at LW besides Pacquiao. And GBP is gonna match Casamayor against Juan Diaz. A guy Campbell just beat. WTF?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
A fight against Casamayor is the biggest money making opportunity at LW besides Pacquiao. And GBP is gonna match Casamayor against Juan Diaz. A guy Campbell just beat. WTF?
Campbell lost to Casamayor too though. The Diaz Casa fight makes just as much sense as the Nate vs Casa fight. Thats two of the best 135 guys fighting who havent been in with eachother before.

Campbell doesn't need to be sitting on his ass waiting on a fight. He's bitching and saying he's ready to fight but at the same time his mandatory for the WBA title Alfaro is screaming to fight him. That fights there and can be made but he wants to bitch about GBP not willing....

Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Campbell lost to Casamayor too though. The Diaz Casa fight makes just as much sense as the Nate vs Casa fight. Thats two of the best 135 guys fighting who havent been in with eachother before.

Campbell doesn't need to be sitting on his ass waiting on a fight. He's bitching and saying he's ready to fight but at the same time his mandatory for the WBA title Alfaro is screaming to fight him. That fights there and can be made but he wants to bitch about GBP not willing....

Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
Who cares what Alfaro (who the hell is that??????) wants. Campbell is 39 and just beat the guy that nearly everyone had dubbed the man at 135, and now nobody wants to fight him. I'm not surprised.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Who cares what Alfaro (who the hell is that??????) wants. Campbell is 39 and just beat the guy that nearly everyone had dubbed the man at 135, and now nobody wants to fight him. I'm not surprised.
Who is nobody?

The only guy he's called out is Casamayor who has beat him before.

Nate is 36.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
He doesn't want to fight a bum for what would practically be free knowing that it will take him another 5 months to get a fight with these other guys who take so damn long to sign a fight with him.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
His loss to Casamayor means as much today as his loss to Peden...nothing! Juan Diaz was considered the best at 135 and Campbell beat him. He's the guy Casamayor should fight. Of course Nate doesn't wanna fight his mandatory he's looking for a big payday and he deserves it. What did Juan Diaz do to deserve a shot at Casamayor? Sign with GBP? You always say the best should fight the best. Do you think GBP is making the best fight the best? Honestly?

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
He might be suffering from a minor case of Winkyitis if he thinks the big names are going to fight him right away because he has the titles he'll be disillusioned. He's a tough, powerful champ that can expose, bully, and knockout fighters. It's funny seeing someone that holds 3 of the 4 major belts calling out challengers. He always has alot to say but he speaks the truth.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
He doesn't want to fight a bum for what would practically be free knowing that it will take him another 5 months to get a fight with these other guys who take so damn long to sign a fight with him.
He's going to have to fight him at some point as he's obligated to do so.

His loss to Casamayor means as much today as his loss to Peden...nothing! Juan Diaz was considered the best at 135 and Campbell beat him. He's the guy Casamayor should fight. Of course Nate doesn't wanna fight his mandatory he's looking for a big payday and he deserves it. What did Juan Diaz do to deserve a shot at Casamayor? Sign with GBP? You always say the best should fight the best. Do you think GBP is making the best fight the best? Honestly?
The best should fight the best but Nate isnt and has never been the best. Casa is the man to beat and is the linear champion there. The way i look at it is he's beat Campbell already (clearly).

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
The best should fight the best but Nate isnt and has never been the best. Casa is the man to beat and is the linear champion there. The way i look at it is he's beat Campbell already (clearly).
Juan Diaz was considered the best so when Campbell beat him he took that title IMO regardless of his previous losses. You're only as good as your last fight.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts