Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guzman targets Campbell!
WBO promises Guzman #1 ranking

Now that Joan Guzman has vacated his WBO 130 pound title, the undefeated Dominican-born speedster is looking for a challenge at the lightweight level. "I think Nate Campbell would be a perfect opponent for me," said Guzman, who is a two-division champion with a record of 28-0, 17 KOs. "Nobody wants to fight Nate at 135 pounds and no one wants to fight me at 130 pounds. So let's just fight each other....If Nate is truly a world champion he will accept the challenge that I have laid out for him."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guzman, who is promoted by Sycuan Ringside Promotions might be on the fast track to get his shot at Campbell. "The WBO has assured Sycuan that Guzman will in fact become the number one contender at 135 pounds," stated Sycuan matchmaker Sean Gibbons. "Nate doesn't have a bunch of options right now. He thinks he's going to get a shot at Joel Casamayor, but that fight will never happen. Plain and simple, Nate's best fight is against Guzman."

·
Registered
707 Posts
The funny thing about that statement is that Campbell was all but done and he beats Juan now he's all about the money?!! he needs to fight the next best guy they put in front of him and keep wining that's the way to make money for the verage guy in boxing.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
And why does Guzman say that nobody wanted to fight him at 130 :S? thats a false statement if i ever heard one.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Guzman should not be given #1 ranking by the WBO they dont do this with others fighters. If that is the case with Guzman then surely Haye should have recieved top ranking at HW.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks like campbell's not about the dough

from fightnews.com....

Campbell has also confirmed his willingness to fight Casamayor, in so much that he will accept a 50-50 purse instead of the traditional 80-20 split. “I'm the world champ, I have three world title belts, and I am the WBO super champion and he is the interim champ,” stated Campbell. “It SHOULD be 80-20 my way but for the opportunity to knock his a** into retirement once and for all, I'll take the 50-50. It's actually almost worth the 30% cut for the opportunity to stomp a mudhole in his a**. So bring on the purse bid!"

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I couldnt care less about these alphabet rankings..

I dont think Campbell would take a fight with Guzman, its too much risk for no money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts