Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an era where shows like, UFC, The Ultimate Fighter, Tapout and WEC, Wreckage are ruling the airwaves it would seem that boxing is a forgotten sport. Sure, the sport still has Friday Night Fights and The Contender but the glamour and marketing to the public just isn’t there when you compare the two sports.

The UFC is a national phenomenon. Everyone that I know watches the reality show or pays to see the monthly pay-per-views. I cannot say the same for my beloved sport of boxing. I don’t know anyone that watches the fights that are on television and since Tyson left the ring, I don’t know anyone that has paid for a boxing pay-per-view event. The reason behind this is simple; the people behind mixed martial arts actually want the sport to succeed. Every week the UFC puts on a free show on cable television that includes some pretty well known names in the sport. Free! Dana White has done such a tremendous job of marketing his brand that the IFL and WEC now have spin-off shows for their fights. Why hasn’t boxing had this same success? The reason is just as simple, no one involved at the top of the sport cares. Which doesn’t add up given that there are just as many great stories, if not more, about people who are using boxing as a way out of a rough childhood or trying to better their families by becoming a professional fighter. I would also argue that boxing has athletes that have been in the game longer or paid their dues longer than most MMA fighters in order to become any type of successful fighter.

Unfortunately though, boxing has become an over inflated shell of its once proud history. Marketing for the sport is almost non-existent. The last time that I recall seeing any type of large marketing push was for the over-the-hill De La Hoya vs. Mayweather fight. Are you serious? This is the best the sport can do? The answer is, yes. Boxing is a victim of it’s success in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. It fell victim to people like Don King who have, for the most part, ruined the sport. The fact that the people who govern the sport of boxing will allow a promoter to promote two fighters during the same fight, is ridiculous and it’s killing a great sport. This is especially true because there are so many great fighters out there. There are so many fights happening week-to-week but the problem is that no one knows about them!

Another reason why boxing is failing is the fact that everyone has a championship belt. When did this happen? My favorite picture that I have hanging in my sports room is one of Mike Tyson wearing the three belts. That’s the boxing that I remember. It was such a big deal that Tyson was able to unify the belts at the time. Today, even Tyson or Ali in their prime would have a tough time unifying the belts. They would have to fight one championship fight a week in order to have a shot at doing so. Not to mention, they would throw their back out if they tried to wear all of them as Tyson is doing in the picture that I referred to.

So, one would think that with all of these belts and weight classes that now exist, there would be a marquee fight every month or so, similar to the UFC, right? Wrong. Championship fights, or fights of a true up-and-comer, are few and far between. Never mind a marquee fight that you would be willing to pay for. The sport is about the promoters. It’s not about the fighters or the fans anymore. It’s about the payday and television rights. That’s why there are such delays between fights. When I was a kid, we watched ABC, Wild World of Sports every Saturday and that is where you saw some great boxing matches for FREE! The names of the boxers were well known in most cases and even if they weren’t, the commentators knew enough about them that they were able to get you excited about the possibility of each fighter and the sport.

In today’s boxing, it would seem that unless your name is Larry Merchant, you don’t know boxing. You are simply there to broadcast what’s going on in the ring. I don’t blame the commentators though. I wouldn’t be too excited either given that they don’t have much to be excited about week in and week out. It’s not as if they can say that the individual they are covering will have a legitimate title shot any time soon. That would have to be cleared with a promoter before that could become reality. Again, it’s not about the sport or the advancement of fighters, it’s about the money involved.

It’s a shame that a Dana White cannot buy boxing similar to buying the UFC. If we actually had an owner for the sport, we might have a fighting chance of returning to the days of glory.

Don’t get me wrong though, I know that there are people that enjoy the sport, I’m one of them. I know this because I belong to a boxing gym in Minneapolis and the gym is always full. There are people that want to become a professional boxer some day and there are those that simply come to learn about a great sport.

I sincerely hope that boxing can get off of the stool in the12th round and answer the bell. It’s a sport that I grew up on and I don’t want to see it knocked out.

Thoughts???

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Check out 2007. Boxing is thriving. UFSHE reached its peak. Here we go again with another one of these threads.

·
Banned
589 Posts
I Think So, Boxing Is Slated For Alot Of Big Name And Talent-Filled Fights This Year, And They're Getting Started Early On. Couple That With The Birth Of Of Good Self-Promo, Boxing Has A Pretty Bright Future. But It Would Be Foolish To Think They Can Top '07

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that it would appear that some great (better) fights are coming our way. However, I would like to see more mainstream attention to our beloved sport. I would also like so see some consolidation happening!!!

You cannot deny that boxing is not getting the attention it needs and /or deserves.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I agree that it would appear that some great (better) fights are coming our way. However, I would like to see more mainstream attention to our beloved sport. I would also like so see some consolidation happening!!!

You cannot deny that boxing is not getting the attention it needs and /or deserves.
That's due to so many reasons. You have to have HBO and be willing to fork out fifty bucks once a month just to keep up with the sport. Lack of exposure isn't due to lack of quality performances in the least. Our product is fantastic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Prettyboy, I couldn't agree more about the product. However, as you stated, HBO and pay-per-view aren't doing us any favors.

While I applaud ESPN's FNF show, it doesn't really promote itself very well. I would say the same for the Contender. It's such a great concept but the body of work surrounding that idea leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I agree about HBO/PPV. ESPN doesn't put much money into FNF/WNF, and the Contender is made up of mostly nobodies. We need a few big fights to be shown for free.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Prettyboy, I couldn't agree more about the product. However, as you stated, HBO and pay-per-view aren't doing us any favors.

While I applaud ESPN's FNF show, it doesn't really promote itself very well. I would say the same for the Contender. It's such a great concept but the body of work surrounding that idea leaves a lot to be desired.

We're getting the upcomming Calzaghe, Hopkins, Cotto and Oscar fights free, thats four of the top names in the sport. :)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Boxing>UFSHE, always has been always will be!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed on the need for free as well as some of the upcoming free fights. Again though, where's the mainstream media hype for these fights.

As I indicated in my original post, I remember seeing the big names just about every Saturday on ABC sports... that's what our sport needs. We also need more coverage for our local events. I know that my gym puts on a lot of shows but no one covers them. I would love to report on them... but where? This is a great forum, don't get me wrong but who will care about a fighter from MN in the amateur ranks? It's great for the locals but there's no locals to talk to about it.

MEDIA, MEDIA, MEDIA... That's what we need. We need more big names getting out there and plugging away for their sport.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I remember when fights used to be on TNT even! We need more of that, and more people will naturally fall in love with boxing.

Corp, you should write a blog about this. You are very passionate and have good ideas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Prettyboy.. ya. I love our sport and I'm just so frustrated with the lack of attention to it.

I might just go the blog route. My homepage is where I currently blog as the topic strikes me.. but boxing is easy for me given that I am involved in the sport and I want it to succeed!

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I think the Mosley/Judah & DLH/Forbes fights that are coming up are free which is good news. I agree the problem with boxing at the moment is lack of mainstream exposure, casual fans simply don't want to fork out $50 for big fights, and theres alot of hardcore fans that wont buy these fights simply because they cant afford that kind of money.

I think the massive decline in the heavyweight division hasnt helped either.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Agreed on the need for free as well as some of the upcoming free fights. Again though, where's the mainstream media hype for these fights.

As I indicated in my original post, I remember seeing the big names just about every Saturday on ABC sports... that's what our sport needs. We also need more coverage for our local events. I know that my gym puts on a lot of shows but no one covers them. I would love to report on them... but where? This is a great forum, don't get me wrong but who will care about a fighter from MN in the amateur ranks? It's great for the locals but there's no locals to talk to about it.

MEDIA, MEDIA, MEDIA... That's what we need. We need more big names getting out there and plugging away for their sport.
The Media Is Always Late On Everything Sports, Especially When A Sport Takes A Dive. And When It Was Free On ABC It Was The Golden Age For Boxing And The Media Around It, But Unfortunately The Biggest Fighters Go To The Highest Bidder(HBO) For Instance The So Called World Wide Leader In Sports, Spends 30-60 Seconds, Highlighting A Big PPV Fight, Once Right After The Fight Is Over. The Reluctance For ESPN To Show Quality Fights Comes From, Competition, And Not Knowing Weither A fight Will Be Action Packed, Or A Super Snooze Fest. You Cant Blame Them, And To Be Honest Boxing Will Never Be The Way It Once Was, It Just Cant Compete With The Top 3 Sports In America.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Leeds, I couldn't agree more about the casual fan coughing up $50 at a clip. Again, this is where the lack of attention to our sport is so obvious. When a big UFC fight is on, there are 3 bars within 5 minutes of each other each showing the fight. When there is a big boxing match on, I get carpel tunnel from all of the bars that I have to call to find one that is showing it!

P4P, you nailed it. ABC was into the game when the game was at it's peak. I also agree that ESPN, while having the FNF is a joke when it comes to overall attention and coverage. I also could not agree more with you about the effect that the HW division has on our sport. Now that we have what seems like 50 belts and the possibility of getting them all back under control is about as possible as Mitt Romney pulling of the presidency.. (he quit?... crap) Well, that sums up our chances as they stand right now.

Someone needs to come into the boxing commission that actually cares about the sport and then they need to clean it up.

·
Banned
589 Posts
Leeds, I couldn't agree more about the casual fan coughing up $50 at a clip. Again, this is where the lack of attention to our sport is so obvious. When a big UFC fight is on, there are 3 bars within 5 minutes of each other each showing the fight. When there is a big boxing match on, I get carpel tunnel from all of the bars that I have to call to find one that is showing it!

P4P, you nailed it. ABC was into the game when the game was at it's peak. I also agree that ESPN, while having the FNF is a joke when it comes to overall attention and coverage. I also could not agree more with you about the effect that the HW division has on our sport. Now that we have what seems like 50 belts and the possibility of getting them all back under control is about as possible as Mitt Romney pulling of the presidency.. (he quit?... crap) Well, that sums up our chances as they stand right now.

Someone needs to come into the boxing commission that actually cares about the sport and then they need to clean it up.
The Best Way For Boxing To Be Lifted In The Media, Is For ESPN OR ABC NBC CBS To Take The route That ESPN And CBS Have With College Footbal And Basketball. Its To Expensive For Them To Target Big Name Fighters On A Frequent Basis So Target The Young Prospects, The Hopefuls For The Future. If They Invest In Them Boxing can Only Gain From It.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I have always believed that only the boxing purists will watch amateur fights. There's just something about protective headgear that throws peole off.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts