Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my music, and I love listening to it loud and clean. I'm by no means a "bass-head". My goal has always been to design my systems to clean, distortion free, and play with authority.

Years ago I was VERY into the car audio scene. I taught myself how to do installations, tune, etc. Recently I was bit by the bug again.

So now I'm stockpiling my new gear to undertake my biggest system challenge to date. I'm planning on building a competition quality SQ (sound quality) system. I'll be doing fiberglass/woodwork and ALOT of wiring and sound deadening. Should be interesting.

Anyone else feel the need to upgrade their stereos to really feel the music?
What are you guys running?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing wrong with that, Alpine makes decent stuff.

My last install consisted of Denon made Rockford headunit, Esoteric Audio amps, Diamond Audio front components and a JL 15w3 sub. It sounded pretty good :)

Nothing like what the next one will be like though. In terms of SQ AND looks. This one will hopefully be my best work.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
I love my music, and I love listening to it loud and clean. I'm by no means a "bass-head". My goal has always been to design my systems to clean, distortion free, and play with authority.

Years ago I was VERY into the car audio scene. I taught myself how to do installations, tune, etc. Recently I was bit by the bug again.

So now I'm stockpiling my new gear to undertake my biggest system challenge to date. I'm planning on building a competition quality SQ (sound quality) system. I'll be doing fiberglass/woodwork and ALOT of wiring and sound deadening. Should be interesting.

Anyone else feel the need to upgrade their stereos to really feel the music?
What are you guys running?
I got a 1974Cadillac El Dorado convertible with the original radio in there, If your ever in Miami let me know I'll hire you to install a system for me, like your self I love music and appreciate a loud but clean and crisp sound and need a person who loves this kind of work , there are alot of car stereo shops down here, but mostly run by kids who don't have a clue but think they know it all .....

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
A few years ago when I had my honda (yeah I know) I had a nice system. I had to Kicker comp VR 12" subs with a DEI (amazing) amplifier. My SQ was all handled by Diamond. I had a few other things here and there as well. Sick system. I haven't done anything in my Z yet, but I really want to.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don't have anything right now , i use to have 2 1000 volfenhag 12s and a 1200 watt volfenhag amp with an alpine hu.Volfenhag sounds good to be a cheap brand. I think im going with 4 kicker 10s in the new system with 2 1000 watt amps and a alpine head unit.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I suggest DEI to anyone looking for a great amp. They are expensive, but I used to work at a car stereo place and nothing rivals DEI in my opinion.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I have a lexmark personal cd player hooked up to a cassette that plays the cd into my stereo. This is capped off with an adapter I plug into my cigarette lighter so I don't waste batteries. Seriously.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I have a lexmark personal cd player hooked up to a cassette that plays the cd into my stereo. This is capped off with an adapter I plug into my cigarette lighter so I don't waste batteries. Seriously.
Man I had to do that when I borrowed my mom's old suburban when I was 15.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Oh yeah, my 83 trans am doesnt even have a cd player, Nor a cassete player. In highschool, I put a boombox in the back seat with 8 D batteries.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Oh yeah, my 83 trans am doesnt even have a cd player, Nor a cassete player. In highschool, I put a boombox in the back seat with 8 D batteries.
I did that when I had my 79 280z

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Man I would hate to have super loud exhaust. Mine is as loud as I can handle with my Fujitsubo exhaust. I have to be able to listen to sports radio wherever I go.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don't even know what I have in my car. You need to ask Gerald. He hooked it up. I just know it's loud. And I love it

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Man I would hate to have super loud exhaust. Mine is as loud as I can handle with my Fujitsubo exhaust. I have to be able to listen to sports radio wherever I go.
It's not just the long tube headers, no cats, no mufflers, straight through 3 inch pipes. The radical cam makes it extremely loud. I didn't buy these cars for music purposes.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a 1974Cadillac El Dorado convertible with the original radio in there, If your ever in Miami let me know I'll hire you to install a system for me, like your self I love music and appreciate a loud but clean and crisp sound and need a person who loves this kind of work , there are alot of car stereo shops down here, but mostly run by kids who don't have a clue but think they know it all .....
Yeah, many think they do.
Hey, I learn new things all the time. It really comes down to finding the correct mounting locations, aiming, tuning, and component selection (source, speakers, amps). Also one of the big things that many people dont think about is preparing the environment they are being placed in so that you can actually extrapolate their peak performance. Sound and vibration damping make a world of difference. So much in fact that it not only makes things much quieter in the car, but also allows you to use LESS amplification.

If you decide to get an install done and have any questions, feel free to PM me bro. :thumbsup:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I suggest DEI to anyone looking for a great amp. They are expensive, but I used to work at a car stereo place and nothing rivals DEI in my opinion.
Well, DEI is good (or was, I havent heard any of their newer gear, but it looks too flashy and chromed out for me...)
There are certainly better options, but they used to be one of the best bang for the buck. They made quality amplifiers and at least one component set that was a terrific bargain and got great reviews.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha, I can barely even hear anything music wise in my 02 ta and 02 camaro.
I could fix that for ya ;)

Although it would probably add about 200lbs worth of sound deadening, and gear...

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Haha no thanks, I keep my hot rods light for performance, thats why I don't care about music in them. My Uncle runs a JL audio shop in Wyoming. He has 6 12's in the back of his Suburban. He also has 4 10's in his wife pt cruiser. I'd highly recommend JL Audio's stuff. He actually did work on the pink honda s2000 that was in 2 fast 2 furious.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts