Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surprised that he was being given his second shot at a title so soon after that defeat against Cotto, he's back :D. Carlos Quintana gave an excellent performance and showed fighters how it is that one beats a taller, longer reaching opponent. Saturday's bout was excellence in motion ;). Quintana gave his all, while Williams dedicated the entire fight to trying to figure out the shorter man. For a very long time I knew Carlos had it in him to be champion. His speed is close to the greats of the division [Zab Judah, Floyd Mayweather], but with this win, will he face the winner between Kermit Cintron and Margarito, or will he opt ora second chance at Cotto? Although he showed outstanding promise on the path to becoming champ, we have to admit he lacks the stamina and body fortitude to face the body killer Miguel Cotto.... :dunno:
He should indeed, and has the speed and agility to face off against those who've overlooked him for such a long time; [Margarito, Cintron, Judah, etc. Maybe even Hatton].....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Paul really disappointed me. he looked slow and downright lethargic to me. The story to me isn't really how sharp
quintana looked, but how listless Paul looked. He never found his range, his jab couldn't break wind, and where was the d?I think its time for Paul to ship out to the middleweight division.

·
Registered
707 Posts
It was an of night all fighters have them.On the other card Little Chavez had the similar thing going on but he manage to put enough power on the guy to get him out of there. I am not a huge fan of Paul but I did think he had some class in loosing and if he learned to be better prepared then it maybe a good step for him. now he know what Margarito felt!!Quintana won't have the tittle for long he better enjoy it.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Paul really disappointed me. he looked slow and downright lethargic to me. The story to me isn't really how sharp
quintana looked, but how listless Paul looked. He never found his range, his jab couldn't break wind, and where was the d?I think its time for Paul to ship out to the middleweight division.
Sounds like a whole lot of excuses to me, Quintana is the better fighter, Paul is comfortable at 147 he was just overated because he got the decision over a rusty Margarito.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Sounds like a whole lot of excuses to me, Quintana is the better fighter, Paul is comfortable at 147 he was just overated because he got the decision over a rusty Margarito.
A guys who gains 16pounds after the weight in isnt so confortable at the weight, and even doing that Paul looks like a skeleton.. Hes gotta move up, welterweight is just too tough, too many talents for him to compete, and very low weight for his size...Also, Williams is no Tommy Hearns, he should move up, he will be better at the midweights..

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I dont think he was overrated. He looked VERY bad last night. No power, defense, weak jab, very slow. He certainly didnt fight like he normally does, or as he's shown he's capable of.
Maybe the weight did play a factor, but he just looked "off" the whole night.

Dissapointing loss for Williams.

Quintana should stay far away from Cotto. He should make some $$ by fighting a lower tier guy and then go after margy/Cintron.

Quintana gets destroyed by Mayweather or Cotto, so those fights shouldnt even be considered, and I dont think they will be.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
a rusty margarito lol. Oh boy. Margarito is highly overrated, williams is good but he's overrated. Quintana is a good boxer but cotto will destroys him even faster in a rematch. That eliminated oen of floyds fights, Now after oscar 2, he'll have no other choice but to fight cotto and I hope he doesnt fight hatton again, he'll just ko him again.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Wow i just saw the match and wow the Williams hype bubble exploted into all of our faces!!!! Man if he wouldave fought like that against Margarito he wouldave been destroyed, something definatly wrong with Williams last night.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Williams would have been beaten by Berto, Zab, Collazo, Margarito, Cintron, and even Hatton last night. Terrible performance.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I don't think Williams is overrated. I think Quintana was underrated. Both would have no chance against Mayweather

·
Registered
424 Posts
Paul was fighting the same way in the Margarito fight. What was different about last night wasnt Paul, it was the guy he was in with, Quintana. Quitana jumped on him early and Margy didnt. And i dont know how anybody ccould have gotten close to scoring that fight for Paul W I cant remember a single good punch that he landed in the entire fight.

Quitana fight a great fight and exposed a less then great fighter. Paul didnt make a single adjustment the entire fight and thats what great fighters do. he just kept eating the lefts.

-Melty

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Great win for Quintana. Credit to him. I never saw that coming. Guess Williams is not the monster he was made out to be

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
williams' tendancy to fight inside cost him this time. i didn't think that quintana would be the fighter to exploit this, but he was. if he would've kept quintana at the end of his punches, and fought "tall" he would've avoided a lot of those flush lefts imo.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
a rusty margarito lol. Oh boy. Margarito is highly overrated, williams is good but he's overrated. Quintana is a good boxer but cotto will destroys him even faster in a rematch. That eliminated oen of floyds fights, Now after oscar 2, he'll have no other choice but to fight cotto and I hope he doesnt fight hatton again, he'll just ko him again.
Tommy was dead right Williams got lucky when he faced a rusty Margarito
If they fight again Tony will put him to sleep. Anyone that pays $60 to watch oscar and pbf II must have more money than sense

1 - 20 of 25 Posts