Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Casamayor-Campbell: Deadline

2K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  prettyboywho 
#1 ·
By Mark Vester

According to Terry Trekas of One Punch Productions, co-promoter for WBO/WBA/IBF lightweight champion Nate Campbell, the WBO has given interim-champion Joel Casamayor until April 4 to decide whether or not he will fight Campbell.

Based on Casamayor's recent statements about not being interested in a bout with Campbell, it's unlikely the fight will happen. Juan Diaz, recently signed by Golden Boy Promotions, who also promote Casamayor, is said to be a possible opponent for Casamayor in the near future.

Casamayor holds a 2003 decision win over Campbell and is using that win to justify his decision to seek out another opponent. He wants to face the likes of Manny Pacquiao or Marco Antonio Barrera. The chances of landing either is very slim.

Should Casamayor turn down the chance to fight Campbell, the WBO, according to their guidelines, would strip him of the interim-title and elect Anthony Peterson as the mandatory challenger.

#2 ·
lets see them do it again..i like casamayor to win that fight...its jus a bad style whereas with juan diaz...he'll jus stand and trade. id def love to see the lightweight unification fight

and then the winner can face the winner or Diaz/Pacquiao :) in a perfect world

#3 ·
Casmyr knows Cambell is one tough dog and is not nessesarily looking to engage him again in the ring, he feels he deserves the likes of Paquiao.
unfortunately the powers that be don't feel the same way and that's a shame cause it would be an interesting match.

#8 ·
I've got to agree with you there.

Casamayor better take this fight because I don't Pac-Man taking this fight. He'll most likely fight David Diaz or JMM again. Casamayor has a lot to gain here so let's hope he makes the right choice. Either way I don't respect him till he gives Santa Cruz a rematch.

#11 ·
I to would favor Casamayor in this fight. But wouldn't be shocked at a Campbell win

#13 · (Edited)
Tough fight to call... but based on recent performances it looks like Casa's beginning to succumb to pressure. It looks like what's left in the legs may be running out...

Campbell may take a page out of Katsidis' handbook (before he was caught) and put the pressure on... and he's very capable of doing it based on what we saw from Juan Diaz.

So I'd probably lean slightly toward Nate if he comes as prepared and focused as he did with Juan Diaz. Still tough to call though.

I still prefer to call Nate champ moreso than Casa. Nate beat a guy many thought was best in the division while Casa got a gift against Santa Cruz and he still uses his promoters belt to make him significant in the division.

It's a fight that needs to happen to clear up the lineal/alphabet BS.

#14 ·
By Mark Vester

According to Terry Trekas of One Punch Productions, co-promoter for WBO/WBA/IBF lightweight champion Nate Campbell, the WBO has given interim-champion Joel Casamayor until April 4 to decide whether or not he will fight Campbell.

Based on Casamayor's recent statements about not being interested in a bout with Campbell, it's unlikely the fight will happen. Juan Diaz, recently signed by Golden Boy Promotions, who also promote Casamayor, is said to be a possible opponent for Casamayor in the near future.

Casamayor holds a 2003 decision win over Campbell and is using that win to justify his decision to seek out another opponent. He wants to face the likes of Manny Pacquiao or Marco Antonio Barrera. The chances of landing either is very slim.

Should Casamayor turn down the chance to fight Campbell, the WBO, according to their guidelines, would strip him of the interim-title and elect Anthony Peterson as the mandatory challenger.
So who would Peterson be fighting for the title???

#19 ·
Campbell TKO3 over Peterson. He's far too green.

I love the post from Igorotak. I see this fight in the same light. Casamayor looked terrible against Santa Cruz and looked better against Katsidis, but he looks nothing like his former self in my opinion. The C level Katsidis was doing very well in that fight until he got caught. As Merchant would say Katsidis is no Nate Campbell. I like Campbell in this fight by close UD. Campbell sweeps rounds 9-12.

#21 ·
Campbell TKO3 over Peterson. He's far too green.
I love the post from Igorotak. I see this fight in the same light. Casamayor looked terrible against Santa Cruz and looked better against Katsidis, but he looks nothing like his former self in my opinion. The C level Katsidis was doing very well in that fight until he got caught. As Merchant would say Katsidis is no Nate Campbell. I like Campbell in this fight by close UD. Campbell sweeps rounds 9-12.
WHOA WHOA WHOA I wouldnt go that far. If Capmbel wins it'll be a decision. But I think Peterson has good enough foot work and movement to not get TKOed by Campbell and may be able to pull the upset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.