Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ring Magazine is nearly certain this is the fight that will be made.

CASAMAYOR-DIAZ IS THE FIGHT AT LIGHTWEIGHT

By William Dettloff

In the week following his win over Julio Diaz, the talk around Juan Diaz has mostly involved who he’ll fight next. The names most frequently discussed: David Diaz, Michael Katsidis, and Manny Pacquiao. Note who’s absent: Joel Casamayor, who happens to be the champion in the division in which Juan Diaz campaigns.

Diaz is the talk of the lightweight division, and he should be. His win over Julio Diaz in particular and his evolution in general as a very sound fighter make him a highly noteworthy subject. Throw in his media-friendly attitude, his humility, and his exciting fighting style and you’ve got a young titleholder we all can look up to and enjoy.

The problem is he’s not the champion, Casamayor is. But no one is talking about Casamayor. They’re talking about Diaz. And if you’re Casamayor, that’s a problem—or it should be.

I know, these guys aren’t running for public office or anything and the champion isn’t crowned by popular vote, or by committee (most of the time). But any real fighter who is a world champion, as Casamayor is, should feel defensive when everyone is raving about a guy in the division and that guy isn’t him.

Casamayor, especially, is an ornery sort and a proud one, and certainly not shy about taking on good fighters; three fights with Diego Corrales and another with Jose Luis Castillo should tell you that. So it’s clear that his absence from Diaz’ possible opponents list isn’t because he’s afraid of Diaz.

At this writing, Casamayor is scheduled to face Jose Santa Cruz on the Miguel Cotto-Shane Mosley card in Madison Square Garden in November. Santa Cruz is a lanky nightmare for a lot of guys, but Casamayor should beat him. Once he does, he is obligated to make the division his again, if he can.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Diaz will destroy Joel. And send him into retirement too.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think destroy is the right word. I like demolish, asswhip, and dominate more.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
As long as he sends him into retirement I dont care what we call it.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
It'll look bad for Joel.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
its 1 against 2 at the weight and i dont see a destruction job here, i think diaz wins on points but maybe just 7-5.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
TommyGunn said:
its 1 against 2 at the weight and i dont see a destruction job here, i think diaz wins on points but maybe just 7-5.
Joel might win a round. I see the fight being stopped.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
katsidis is the interim champ i think. if diaz wants to keep his wbo strap then he has to fight him. i don't think manny' moving up anymore, so it looks like this fight is a go.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
its the Joel fight thats a go.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Joel-Juan fight would have been 50/50 abit ago, due to Casa's inactivity and Juan's recent performance, id give Juan Diaz a 60/40 edge. Joel Casamayor definetly has what it takes to beat Juan Diaz though.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BigDigga said:
you can never completely count out an old pro like casamayor.
That is how I was initially thinking, but I want to see what he does against Santa Cruz first.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Casamayor is a quality operator. Hes fought Freitas, Corrales 3 times and Castillo.. and the argument could be made that he has NEVER actually lost in the ring, all his losses have been very close. Il see how he does against Santa Cruz, maybe a win over him then a fight with Nate Campbell. If he wins those two, he can fight the Diaz's and Katsidis.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
LeedsLad said:
Joel-Juan fight would have been 50/50 abit ago, due to Casa's inactivity and Juan's recent performance, id give Juan Diaz a 60/40 edge. Joel Casamayor definetly has what it takes to beat Juan Diaz though.
No way on this planet Joel beats Juan.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
bigger upsets have happened before, and it could happen if casamayor/diaz square off. like leeds said, all of casamayor losses were disputable. the man is far from his prime, but he's still very formidable.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
I know anybody could be beat but I just cant see Joel beating Juan. If Juan easily beats Joel nobody will give him his just do. They'll say that Joel was old.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LeedsLad said:
Casamayor is a quality operator. Hes fought Freitas, Corrales 3 times and Castillo.. and the argument could be made that he has NEVER actually lost in the ring, all his losses have been very close. Il see how he does against Santa Cruz, maybe a win over him then a fight with Nate Campbell. If he wins those two, he can fight the Diaz's and Katsidis.
Whoa slow down. There is no need for him to fight Nate Campbell really or Katsidis. Remember Casamayor is the CHAMP at 135.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts