Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Juan Manuel Marquez Moves Up Against Cuban Cutey Joel Casamayor!

Michael Marley
BOXINGCONFIDENTIAL EXCLUSIVE
6/3/2008

The other zapato has just dropped in the Nate Campbell-Joel Casamayor WBO mandatory lightweight title situation.

Triple-belted champ Campbell, the conqueror of previously unbeaten Juan “Baby Bull” Diaz, won’t be fighting crafty Cubano southpaw Casamayor. The soon to be 37-year-old Casamayor will, instead, take on his Golden Boy stablemate and Manny Pacquiao’s fierce rival, slick counterpuncher Juan Manuel Marquez.

GBP is looking at doing Juan Ma-Casamayor on PPV with a likely date of October 11.

At first, Juan Ma’s advisers acted like they wanted no part of Casamayor. But watching everyone else making moves and the looming Pacman challenge against WBC 135—pound king David Diaz, got the JMM brain trust to take a second look at the aging Casamayor.

Marquez and his people want to make a statement in the lightweight division and to keep some pressure on Pacquaio for a third fight and they came to the conclusion that a decisive victory over future Hall Of Famer Casamayor does that for their man.

Where in the alphabet soup does this leave Campbell? He may wind up in a WBO mandatory, anyway, but against two-time WBO champion and undefeated Dominican Dandy Joan Guzman. Reps for both Guzman and Campbell spoke on the telephone Monday.

It’s now academic that Campbell co-promoter Don King sent inadequate bout contracts to GBP and Casamayor because they weren’t getting signed anyway.

As for the Goldens’ Golden Child, Juan Diaz, he will keep his Sept. 13 hometown Houston date on HBO but the opponent will be Michael “Rocky’ Kastidis and not Casamayor.

The lightweight version of musical chairs appears to be over.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Katsidis is going to beeat the crap outta Diaz. JMM and Casamayor is a toss up for me. I seriously have no clue who to go for.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
JMM will have enough time to lift and bulk up, he wont have great power but hell have enough pop to get respect from an old Casa and pull out the UD. Diaz-Katsidis will be a war since both only know 1 way to fight, Diaz will win, it has FOTY written all over it. Guzman will beat Campbell in a tough fight, I'm psyched for all these fights.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Whats not to like about him? He comes to fight, doesnt hold, makes for great back and forth action fights, hes humble, the only thing I would say that I dont like about him is that isnt really skilled, but hes more than good with me.:thumbsup:
it's cos he ain't a yank. he can't stand hatton, calzaghe, katsidis, cotto blah blah blah.

yet he likes that trash talking tosspot floyd ducky mayweather. strange, i know.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Great news! I love these new matchups (they are the best we can get besides Casamayor/Campbell). Diaz/Katsidis could be FOTY. Diaz will land so much leather on Katsidis' face it will make the ref stop it inside 10. I think Marquez will get the decision against Casamayor. Casa was getting hit by Katsidis way too much for a slick fighter so a great boxer like Marquez will beat him to the punch. Guzman should win by UD against Campbell.
Is the lightweight division hot or what?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.