Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boxing scene

By Mark Vester

It appears that Juan Manuel Marquez may stand a chance of landing a trilogy bout with Manny Pacquiao. The Filipino bomber is currently scheduled to face WBC lightweight champion David Diaz on June 28 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

Bob Arum, promoter of Pacquiao, told the Las Vegas Review-Journal, that Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, pitched the idea of Marquez moving up to lightweight to face Joel Casamayor and the winner landing Pacquiao in the fall. Casamayor is tentatively scheduled to face Juan Diaz on September 13 in Houston, Texas, but a dispute over who should get the bigger purse may scrap that fight.

"I talked to Richard Schaefer this morning and told him that Marquez needs to keep busy," Arum said. "If Manny beats Diaz, there's all sorts of options. He can look at Nate Campbell. He can look at Casamayor. He can look at Marquez”.

“Richard asked me about Marquez fighting Casamayor, and I'd love to see that fight with the winner fighting Pacquiao in the fall. Freddie Roach, who trains Pacquiao, said he expects Pacquiao to arrive in Los Angeles in the next couple of weeks from the Philippines to begin training for Diaz.”

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Casamayor has never been out boxed in his whole career. I think his boxing skills cancel out Marquez's. It'll come down to size and strenght. And Casamayor has the edge. I'll go with Casamayor in this fight

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Yea I can see JMM boxing circles around Casa

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Casamayor has never been out boxed in his whole career. I think his boxing skills cancel out Marquez's. It'll come down to size and strenght. And Casamayor has the edge. I'll go with Casamayor in this fight
Santa Cruz out boxed him easily.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He out worked him. All Cruz did was come in throwing sloppy punches. A whole bunch of them. That's not out-boxing somebody.
See I thought Cruz out-boxed him because Casamayor didn't box a damn bit. He just kind of sat there all night.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
a fight between marquez and casa would be close. being that both have solid boxing skills i'd be inclined to lean towards the naturally bigger fighter. i think casa eeks out a decision.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good point. thing is katsidis' style is nothing like marquez' though. jmm won't attack casa being he's a counter puncher.
Granted, but the overall point is that Casamayor is fairly easy to hit. Katsidis throws monkey punches, and he was able to land. Marquez throws compact, accurate punches. I like Marquez by clear UD.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Granted, but the overall point is that Casamayor is fairly easy to hit. Katsidis throws monkey punches, and he was able to land. Marquez throws compact, accurate punches. I like Marquez by clear UD.
a clear ud for marquez? that's possible. marquez does seem to have more left in the tank than casa does.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
My point exactly. Katsidis isn't THAT wide with his punches but Casa allowed him to land too many of them IMO.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
My point exactly. Katsidis isn't THAT wide with his punches but Casa allowed him to land too many of them IMO.
If you look at the Casamayor-Katsidis fight again you'll see Casamayor dominate the first couple of rounds by boxing and moving. At the end of the 3rd round Casamayor gets away from that and starts fighting with his hands down. He also became a stationary target. This is when Katsidis took advantage. Casamayor when back to boxing in the 8th round. He easily took the 9th and scored the knock out in the 10th. Casamayor got hit a lot because he put himself in that situation. If he would of kept fighting the way he started for the whole fight Katsidis wouldn't of won a round. And he would of been stopped earlier.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you look at the Casamayor-Katsidis fight again you'll see Casamayor dominate the first couple of rounds by boxing and moving. At the end of the 3rd round Casamayor gets away from that and starts fighting with his hands down. He also became a stationary target. This is when Katsidis took advantage. Casamayor when back to boxing in the 8th round. He easily took the 9th and scored the knock out in the 10th. Casamayor got hit a lot because he put himself in that situation. If he would of kept fighting the way he started for the whole fight Katsidis wouldn't of won a round. And he would of been stopped earlier.
I dig, but who's to say that if he did it against Katsidis he won't do it against Marquez?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I can see Casamayor really frustrating Marquez with all his dirty tricks.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts