Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With very few opponents biting, IBF light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson is going to fight Antonio Tarver in a rematch on March 14 on HBO. The first fight was televised by Showtime on October 11 with Dawson putting on a dominating performance to win the title from Tarver. Soon after, Tarver made it known that he was going to exercise his rematch clause. Tarver has been called the master of the rematch, winning his rematch bouts with Eric Harding, Roy Jones Jr. and Glen Johnson. But this time Tarver is the old veteran coming in against the young lion who dominated him in the first meeting.

Promoter Gary Shaw told boxing scribe Dan Rafael that Foxwoods in Connecticut and The Palms resort in Las Vegas, are the two venues in the running to host. Shaw said Dason made the final call and vowed to knock Tarver out.

"In discussing the options with Chad, we wanted to get this out of the way so if an opportunity came up to fight Bernard Hopkins or Joe Calzaghe, or somebody like that, we wouldn't have this fight with Tarver staring us in the face. So Chad said, 'You know what? Let me fight Tarver and get it over with. Let me knock him out this time and then I will have those options in front of me.' Chad wants to do this, so he is very up for the rematch, and I'm sure Antonio is happy we are living by our contract," Shaw said.

A lot of people might be wondering why Dawson is appearing on HBO instead of Showtime, where many fans had seen him in the past. Shaw told Rafael that HBO outbid Showtime and offered Dawson a two-fight deal that was worth more money.

"[Showtime] had an opportunity to, let's say, re-sign Chad," Shaw said. "HBO has a big interest in Chad and when all the negotiations were over, it was best for Chad at this point to go to HBO. [Showtime boxing chief] Ken Hershman is ticked off at me and I know that. But at the end of the day I have to do what is best for my fighter."
-boxingscene.com

This fight really disapoints me. Borrrrrring.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

·
Registered
661 Posts
What is this **** all about. Absolutely pathetic. Fight Johnson again if there's nobody else to fight:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Can't believe this happening. Absolutely pointless. It bored most people to death first time, why would we want to see it again? Chad's not gonna move up anymore in the P4P lists by beating a shot Tarver for a second time.

Another boring match...yay!
LMAO.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
I know Dawson can do better than this. I'll laugh if Tarve beats Dawson this time :laugh:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It takes a lot to get Glen Johnson angry, but when he heard that a March 14th rematch between Chad Dawson and Antonio Tarver had been finalized, he couldn’t hold back his feelings.

“This is a disgrace to the sport,” said Johnson, the former light heavyweight champ who is arguably the most avoided man in boxing. “Didn’t anyone watch the first fight? Do they think anything different will happen the second time around? HBO should have put this fight on a month earlier, so it could have been the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre Part Two.”

“I thought HBO really meant business when they put together great, competitive fights like Margarito-Mosley Berto-Collazo and Marquez-Diaz for the early part of 2009, but then they agree to put on a rematch of a fight that wasn’t even competitive the first time,” said an incredulous Johnson. “It boggles my mind, especially when the only true rematch at 175 pounds is between Dawson and myself.” This type of worthless rematch robs the fans, and are bad for the sport. Whoever at HBO decided to purchase this fight, should be embarrassed” .

“I thought Chad Dawson was going to live up to his boasts, and be a true fighting champion,” said Johnson. “But it looks like I beat the fight out of him in April. Just a word of advice to Chad – you may make money now, but people will remember you later for ducking me. As for you Antonio, you’re a better actor than we all thought – you actually convinced HBO and Dawson to give you a rematch.”
-fightnews.com

BINGO. This doesn't make Dawson look very good. :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
It takes a lot to get Glen Johnson angry, but when he heard that a March 14th rematch between Chad Dawson and Antonio Tarver had been finalized, he couldn’t hold back his feelings.

“This is a disgrace to the sport,” said Johnson, the former light heavyweight champ who is arguably the most avoided man in boxing. “Didn’t anyone watch the first fight? Do they think anything different will happen the second time around? HBO should have put this fight on a month earlier, so it could have been the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre Part Two.”

“I thought HBO really meant business when they put together great, competitive fights like Margarito-Mosley Berto-Collazo and Marquez-Diaz for the early part of 2009, but then they agree to put on a rematch of a fight that wasn’t even competitive the first time,” said an incredulous Johnson. “It boggles my mind, especially when the only true rematch at 175 pounds is between Dawson and myself.” This type of worthless rematch robs the fans, and are bad for the sport. Whoever at HBO decided to purchase this fight, should be embarrassed” .

“I thought Chad Dawson was going to live up to his boasts, and be a true fighting champion,” said Johnson. “But it looks like I beat the fight out of him in April. Just a word of advice to Chad – you may make money now, but people will remember you later for ducking me. As for you Antonio, you’re a better actor than we all thought – you actually convinced HBO and Dawson to give you a rematch.
-fightnews.com

BINGO. This doesn't make Dawson look very good. :thumbsdown:
The TRUTH and the last sentence is classic :laugh: I feel bad for Johnson, and I lost some respect for Dawson for accepting a rematch against Tarver. I mean, if he had to give anyone a rematch, he had to do it against Johnson. Pure duckery IMO

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Call Dawson names for making smart business decisions, but all your other favorite fighters do the same god damn things once they get the opportunity to do so. There is no moral code with these guys, give up on expecting them to "be above making the most possible money". Dawson wanted the next step after Tarver, nothing was available, so he went right back to Tarver. The logic behind this isn't hard, his future isn't enhanced by beating Johnson again who hasn't gone on to to better things himself. This isn't like Calzaghe who had a narrow fight with Hopkins, then Hopkins went on to beat an undefeated champion who was supposed to be the next big thing in boxing. THAT is grounds for a rematch, but what the hell has Johnson done? He fought a bum and he's about to fight another bum. Johnson needs to make it WORTH Dawson's time to fight him. He absolutely doesn't owe Johnson anything, Dawson was the champion when he beat Johnson, not the other way around. Tarver on the other hand was the champion and Dawson the challenger, and he HAS THE RIGHT to excercize a rematch clause.

Dawson's original plan was to regain the WBC title from Adrian Diaconu anyways, but he's injured for the time being. Then the other two Light Heavyweight Champions are jokes. Zsolt Erdei seems to be quite content on doing the same thing Calzaghe did with the WBO title, and Garay (the WBA Champion) already lost to Erdei twice...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Call Dawson names for making smart business decisions, but all your other favorite fighters do the same god damn things once they get the opportunity to do so. There is no moral code with these guys, give up on expecting them to "be above making the most possible money". Dawson wanted the next step after Tarver, nothing was available, so he went right back to Tarver. The logic behind this isn't hard, his future isn't enhanced by beating Johnson again who hasn't gone on to to better things himself. This isn't like Calzaghe who had a narrow fight with Hopkins, then Hopkins went on to beat an undefeated champion who was supposed to be the next big thing in boxing. THAT is grounds for a rematch, but what the hell has Johnson done? He fought a bum and he's about to fight another bum. Johnson needs to make it WORTH Dawson's time to fight him. He absolutely doesn't owe Johnson anything, Dawson was the champion when he beat Johnson, not the other way around. Tarver on the other hand was the champion and Dawson the challenger, and he HAS THE RIGHT to excercize a rematch clause.

Dawson's original plan was to regain the WBC title from Adrian Diaconu anyways, but he's injured for the time being. Then the other two Light Heavyweight Champions are jokes. Zsolt Erdei seems to be quite content on doing the same thing Calzaghe did with the WBO title, and Garay (the WBA Champion) already lost to Erdei twice...
I don't think anybody called him any names. We just said the fight stinks and we don't want to see it.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts