Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unbeaten WBA heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev will make the first defense of his title against Commonwealth champion Matt Skelton from the United Kingdom. The bout will take place at the Burg-Wächter-Castello in Dusseldorf, Germany, on January 19, 2008. Since a impressive decision victory over then-champion Nicolay Valuev in April 2007, “The White Tyson” was slated to unify the WBA and WBO belts in a October clash against Sultan Ibragimov. But Chagaev had to withdraw because of a serious illness. Ibragimov decisioned Evander Holyfield and will face IBF king Wladimir Klitschko next year in a unification bout – the first since Holyfield and Lennox Lewis unified the division in 1999. “I’m healthy and can’t wait to get back to boxing. It finally starts again”, said Chagaev. “I can’t wait to get back to the ring and I’m looking forward to fighting Matt Skelton in Dusseldorf. It will be a tough fight against a hard puncher.” The champion is also excited to be back in Dusseldorf. “I have good memories about this town”, said the 29-years old Chagaev. “In November 2006, I beat John Ruiz in a eliminator fight. And that made my title winning effort possible. I’m really excited about the Dusseldorf crowd.”

Source : Boxing News 24 hours/day -- the #1 resource in boxing -- following Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray, Oscar De La Hoya and all your boxing favorites

Might be exciting news to some people from the UK, but Skelton is 40 year old and i think Chagaev will not have trouble winning.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Chagaev easy UD. It's about time Ruslan is fighting. Hopefully he doesn't have another mysterious injury.

·
Fire of the Dragon
241 Posts
chagaev should beat skelton quite easily.

ive never been a fan of skelton, he looks a bit clumsy and slow sometimes, i'm going for chagaev to KO him in one of the middle rounds

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
That would be nice. I haven't seen enough of Skelto to make a KO prediction, so I'll stick with an easy UD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts