Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Punishment has been handed down now to the New England Patriots franchise, and their coach. If you havent heard the situation, they were caught redhanded videotaping opposing sidelines' signal callers. This way they could study the tapes and know what plays they are calling in, and in turn called in the best defensive/offensive play in to counter it. Who knows how long they have been doing this for but its a disgrace. I guess we've found the reason for Bill Belichick's "genius".

The punishment:

Bill Belichick was fined $500,000, yes you read correct a half million.
Patriots franchise was fined $250,000
Patriots will forfeit their 2008 1st round pick (if they make the playoffs)
If they dont make the playoffs, they will forfeit their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I'm glad the league came down harshly on them. Hey, maybe that was the difference in them beating my Eagles in the superbowl 2 years ago? Rat bastard cheaters.

What are your thoughts on the situation, and the punishment handed down? Too light, too severe?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Like you said, the question is how long has been going on for. I heard two steeler players have come forward and are now complaining that the patriots defense were constanly shouting numbers and switching formations during their playoff game two years ago. The money Belichick made off of the super bowl wins alone greatly out weighs the $500,000 fine given. If they can prove that any of those super bowl years were tainted I think the penalty should be worse IMO.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a black eye for the league when soemthing like this happens. Especially when all you hear about is how New England is the "gold standard" of the NFL with their success and integrity.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Captainobvious said:
Its a black eye for the league when soemthing like this happens. Especially when all you hear about is how New England is the "gold standard" of the NFL with their success and integrity.
Exactly. They have been the face of the NFL for so damn long. They are the equivalent of the spurs from the NBA IMO. Boring as hell, yet overwhelmingly successful. I agree with the penalty and fines completely. Now, don't you guys think every team in the NFL does this in some form? The Pats were playing the Jets in this game, and as you all probably know they are coached by former-patriot assistant coach Erik Manginni. (SP?) This would lead one to conclude that he was a part of it when he was there and has known about it for a while. I don't think this is an isolated case. Every little thing helps and as a coach where do you draw the line if you know you can get away with it?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I like the team, but dislike Belichick even more now. It first started with the Indianapolis playoff game last year. At the end, he just brushed off Peyton when they crossed on the field. What a classless individual.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I have always thought of him as an asshole. He never shows any signs of respect to opposing players and coaches. My resentment for him grew as ESPN continued to have his children :) Now that this came out ESPN has had to eat their words from the past 5 years. Philly should have won that game dammit! I hate the Eagles but come on. T.O. comes back and puts up those kind of numbers hurt and you lose. They were cheating then too!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
And that it will always be that way with things like this continuing to happen due to the ammount of pressure put on teams to "win."

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
There are several angles to use while looking at this. If everybody does it, then it isn't a big deal. If this is an isolated incident (I doubt it) then it is a huge deal. Personally, I believe that every team does this in some form. It is part of the competitive side of all sports. Anything for an edge.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Another good point. I have divided opinions regarding this issue. It would be a travesty to see the NFL get the NBA-type reputation.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i dont think its considered cheating at all. theres alot more to any sport than noone the plays. you still have to act on it. its just like, ok i know that roy jones is goign to throw tons of punches in bunches but since i know this i'll be able to block them all. Yeah right. its retarded. knowing is one thing, doing is another.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
You are right to an extent. The NFL is a glorified chess match so knowing the opponents moves makes a big difference in certain occasions.

On a side note...this is the worst thing for the rest of the teams on the Patriots schedule. This REALLY pissed them off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts