Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading various threads on the different fights of late. For some reason, every one who knows I've started boxing thinks I know all there is to know about boxing.. LOL I know nothing. So.. while trying to get educated and get a clue, I keep running across all these various terms about chins. Weak chins, bad chins etc. Is this the same as a glass jaw?

Also, just to toss this in? Who is Roy Jones Jr. nemesis that he is supposed to be fighting or just did? Reading the threads didn't really give me the background to figure that out.

Thanks!

BB

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Just my observation, a weak chin is something that occurs because of one too many KO's, you get a weak chin. A glass jaw kinda means you never could take a punch in the first place. I think they could be used interchangeably though....means the same thing.

Roy Jone's nemesis is Antonio Tarver. KO'ed by him once, decisioned by him once. And then he did decision Tarver once.
Trinidad was not a nemesis...Who he just fought.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Glass Jaw= someone who just flat out can't take a punch, overreacts to it, and goes down/knocked out easy.

Weak Jaw= You go down easy, and your not hurt and you get up a lot. Great examples of this are Floyd Patterson and Joe Louis.

Questionable Jaw= When you get hurt by average punches, and are KO'd by shots that probably shouldn't have knocked you out. Lennox Lewis is a good example of this.

Average Jaw= you are hurt by hard punches, go down from hard punches that land clean, 5/10 will get up from a massive shot.

Good Jaw= you take hard shots well, don't go down very often, and get up about 6-7/10 times from a massive shot.

Great Jaw= you can take very hard shots, you barely go down and will almost always get up from massive shots. Good examples of these are Muhammad Ali, Larry Holmes and George Foreman.

Iron Jaw= you are only hurt a few times during your career, are never down, or only down once or twice, and take massive shots and think nothing of it. Good examples of these are George Chuvalo (arguably the best chin of all time), Olivar McCall, Jake LaMotta, Rocky Marciano, and Aaron Pryor (was drugged up on some fights though, which enhanced his performance and physical ability).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! Thanks for the replies and so much information! Makes the threads make more sense now. LOL

I had to very good fortune to meet Mr. George Chuvalo two years ago. He's an amazing man. I was rather wowed by the size of his fists. I'm just a bitty little lady and I swear his palm would have covered my whole face! Great guy, great sense of humor.

BB

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Nice ive never me anyone famous tho :( but my dad once did a 20 minute interviw with Naseem Hamed and i got his autograph :D i lost it tho wich sucks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hehe, least you got one! I didn't have the sense to think of that.. even though I gave the man my pen. Man, was my father pissed at me! lol

BB

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Hey Bill, Lennox chin wasn't nearly as bad as your making out, McCall and Rahman can seriously punch and they caught him with perfect shots.

IMO theres only maybe 3 or 4 HW in history would have survived those punches and they'd still probably have went down, Lewis had a very good chin id say, he's fought bigger and stronger HW's than any other in history.

Look at the punches Lewis took from guys like Bruno,Morrison,Briggs,Tyson,Vitali, he took some massive punches in those fights and all those guys were concusive punchers.

·
Haye Ducked Me Too
515 Posts
Hey Bill, Lennox chin wasn't nearly as bad as your making out, McCall and Rahman can seriously punch and they caught him with perfect shots.

IMO theres only maybe 3 or 4 HW in history would have survived those punches and they'd still probably have went down, Lewis had a very good chin id say, he's fought bigger and stronger HW's than any other in history.

Look at the punches Lewis took from guys like Bruno,Morrison,Briggs,Tyson,Vitali, he took some massive punches in those fights and all those guys were concusive punchers.
I agree his chin was better than most people think. McCall shot he didn't see and Rahman just hit him with one that no one would have gotten up from.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

I was gonna answer this but you beat me to it Tommy you said it all Lennox chin was adequate he got knocked out due to his own stupidity he underestimated his opposition

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
A well-prepared, focused Lennox Lewis was very hard to knock out. Tua landed some big punches and Lennox barely looked hurt. I think id put Ali under 'iron jaw' though, that man was unreal and even though he went down, he faced some of the biggest punchers in HW history (Foreman, Shavers, Frazier, Liston etc)

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
yeah, lennox did take tua' shots well. mostly because he bruised tua' ribs with a great body shot early and tua couldn't throw his vaunted "left" like he needed to. not to mention, he just couldn't get around that beautiful jab;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts