Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. If you could only tune in for one of the remaining scheduled fights for '08, which one would it be?

2. Also, if you could make two fights happen for the first quarter of '09, which ones would you set up?

3. Finally, if you could only keep three fights out of your collection to watch for all time, which three would you choose?

My answers:

1. Holt-Torres III
I wouldn't have to pay the big PPV pricetag, absolutely anything can happen, and I think it has the potential to be a thriller as long as it lasts whereas some of the bigger fights out there have a high probability of being snoozers. I love Torres and seeing him knock Holt's block off would be an excellent Christmas present.
2. Mijares-Montiel, Kirkland-Angulo
It's hard to imagine either of these dissapointing. One has got to be one of the most demanded unification fights in recent memory while the other pits two young bangers up against one another in a fight that should probably carry an over/under of five rounds.
3. Toney-Jirov, Chacon-Limon IV, Barrera-Morales I
The best display of infighting I've ever seen, the fourth fight of an excellent rivalry being the most compelling, and the first chapter of one of the quintessential trilogies of all-time.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
1. If you could only tune in for one of the remaining scheduled fights for '08, which one would it be?
Joe Calzaghe vs. Roy Jones Jr.
Most people have a definite opinion on this fight, but to me its going to be a toss-up. Jones is past his prime, and against certain fighters i wouldn't give him much of a chance, but his style will cause Calzaghe problems IMO. With his quick, hard right hand counters i expect Joe to have problems, but i have a feeling Jones is going to fight in spurts and spend alot of time covering up on the ropes. If he does, Calzaghe will outwork him. Alot will depend upon how well Joe takes his shots, if he struggles with them he could get stopped... maybe even early.

2. Also, if you could make two fights happen for the first quarter of '09, which ones would you set up?
Mijares vs. Montiel, Pavlik vs. Abraham
If, as i expect, Mijares thoroughly outboxes Darchinyan then this fight has to happen. Two of the best, most exciting fighters from the lower weights for a long time. I also want to see Pavlik bounce straight back, he got beat up pretty badly but i think he has the character to bounce straight back and hand Abraham his first L.

3. Finally, if you could only keep three fights out of your collection to watch for all time, which three would you choose?
Trinidad vs. Vargas - Mexico vs. PR, this fight had everything. Fighters hurt, knockdowns, controversy and a fitting, dramatic ending.
Morales vs. Pacquiao I - Morales, against all odds, takes the young gun to school with a wonderful display in how to outbox Pacman. The 12th round just sums Morales up, all heart and machismo.
Calzaghe vs. Lacy - It was something special to watch my favourite fighter of the time shock the world by absolutely dominating a man who many called the 'New Tyson'.
HM - Hamed vs. Keeley, Morales vs. Barrera I & III, Tyson vs. Holyfield I, Trinidad vs. Hopkins, SRL vs. Hearns, Pacquiao vs. JMM II.

G

·

My answers:

1. Holt-Torres III
I wouldn't have to pay the big PPV pricetag, absolutely anything can happen, and I think it has the potential to be a thriller as long as it lasts whereas some of the bigger fights out there have a high probability of being snoozers. I love Torres and seeing him knock Holt's block off would be an excellent Christmas present.
It's hard to imagine either of these dissapointing. One has got to be one of the most demanded unification fights in recent memory while the other pits two young bangers up against one another in a fight that should probably carry an over/under of five rounds.
The best display of infighting I've ever seen, the fourth fight of an excellent rivalry being the most compelling, and the first chapter of one of the quintessential trilogies of all-time.
1. Pacquaio vs. De La Hoya.

2. I would set up Williams vs. Margarito and Pavlik vs. Abraham.

3. Williams v. Margarito, Tyson v. Holyfield I, and Ali v. Foreman.

Cool thread, good questions.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Oscar de la Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao
I would choose this fight because it is sure to be the biggest boxing event of 2008, and is massively intriguing to see what happens.

1. Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Manny Pacquiao III
This match needs to happen. Both fights were disputed by fans worldwide. A third fight is a must. The score needs to be settled between them.

2. Roy Jones vs. Bernard Hopkins II
A rematch long overdue. Should have happened a few years ago but didn't. This fight would be MASSIVE, because of the personal rivalry and because IF Jones beats Calzaghe, both will be up at the sharp end of the P4P list.

1. Barrera-Morales III
2. Vasquez-Marquez III
3. Morales-Pacquiao I

·
Registered
88 Posts
1. Manny Pacquiao vs. Oscar De La Hoya: This is definitly the most intriguing fight for a while. So many questions, I can't wait for the answers.

2. Pavlik vs. Abraham and Campbell vs. J.M Marquez: I've picked both of these for the same reason, and that's unification. It's what the fight game needs.

3. Corrales vs. Castillo I, Arce vs. Hussien, Codrington vs. Bika.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Great thread :thumbsup:.

Jones/Calzaghe. I know Roy should lose, I know it would be stupid to bet on him but my heart tells me he can do it.

Marquez/Campbell : the winner is the man at 135.

Williams/Margarito II : just to see if the 1st fight was a fluke.

Donaire vs the winner of Mijares/Darchinyan

Castillo/Corrales I : for obvious reasons.

Duran/Leonard I : a 15-round underrated war.

Hagler/Hearns : there was more action in those 3 rounds than in most 15 round fights.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
1. Jones vs Calzaghe : the only matchup that really excites me.

2. Pavlik vs Abraham - Kessler vs Froch

3. Holyfield vs Bowe trilogy.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Calzaghe

Bernard Hopkins vs Roy Jones Jr
Shane Mosley vs Antonio Margarito

Bernard Hopkins vs Felix Trinidad
Marvin Hagler vs Sugar Ray Leonard
Felix Trinidad vs Ricardo Mayorga

(more in depth answers tommorow)

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts

My answers:

1. Holt-Torres III
1. Jones x Calzaghe. Its as big as it could get, having the possibility of a long awaited rematch between RJJ and BHOP in the horizon. Hold x Torres 3 would be great but they're not as meaningfull in their division as Calz Jones are right now.

2. Christian Mijares x Fernando Montiel.
Robert Guerrero x Chris John.

3. Barrera x Morales trilogy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts