Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I've got all the respect in the world for Mijares and on top of that, I really like him and enjoy the hell out of watching him, but this is one of those upsets I had to pick from the moment the fight was announced. I think Darchinyan will shock some people. The Donaire defeat, as crushing as it was, was a flash in the pan. He disrespected the guy and got caught. Despite his trash talk leading up to this fight, I think he has a lot of respect for Mijares. Looking at what he's done lately, it's impossible not to. Darchinyan won't be another Arce-esque punching bag all night. I don't doubt he'll take some stiff counter shots, but I want to see how Mijares reacts when he gets some back...with evil intentions. As deft as he is defensively, he will get caught. I have very little doubt about that. This should be an amazing fight. Only the third time in history that this division has been unified.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Mijares will dominate Darchinyan in a masterful performance. If you can only fight one way and you can't win if you don't knock the other guy out then you already lost.
Agreed. I'm seeing 9-3 or maybe 10-2 Mijares.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I love it when everyone in the world seems to be going against my pick. I definitely understand why all you guys are picking the way you are, though.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I love it when everyone in the world seems to be going against my pick. I definitely understand why all you guys are picking the way you are, though.
Your picks just haven't been winning lately man ;)

Tarver...Pavlik...Rays...

Your batting average is 0 with me. I hope this fight turns it around for you, but I seriously doubt it.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
I want to bet on the over. I know Mijares's chin is class, but I'm not sure if Vic will be able to take his punches in the later rounds.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I've got all the respect in the world for Mijares and on top of that, I really like him and enjoy the hell out of watching him, but this is one of those upsets I had to pick from the moment the fight was announced. I think Darchinyan will shock some people. The Donaire defeat, as crushing as it was, was a flash in the pan. He disrespected the guy and got caught. Despite his trash talk leading up to this fight, I think he has a lot of respect for Mijares. Looking at what he's done lately, it's impossible not to. Darchinyan won't be another Arce-esque punching bag all night. I don't doubt he'll take some stiff counter shots, but I want to see how Mijares reacts when he gets some back...with evil intentions. As deft as he is defensively, he will get caught. I have very little doubt about that. This should be an amazing fight. Only the third time in history that this division has been unified.
How do you like me now?? All hail King Vic! The first man to unify three titles in the 115 lb division.

Your picks just haven't been winning lately man ;)

Tarver...Pavlik...Rays...

Your batting average is 0 with me. I hope this fight turns it around for you, but I seriously doubt it.
Yeah, you win some and you lose some, but at the end of '08, what I should most be remembered for was my late round stoppage pick of Margarito over Cotto and my tenth round KO pick of Darchinyan over Mijares. Those were some gratifying wins for me. Not to mention financially rewarding.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
How do you like me now?? All hail King Vic! The first man to unify three titles in the 115 lb division.

Yeah, you win some and you lose some, but at the end of '08, what I should most be remembered for was my late round stoppage pick of Margarito over Cotto and my tenth round KO pick of Darchinyan over Mijares. Those were some gratifying wins for me. Not to mention financially rewarding.
Good pick man. Too good of a pick...Mijares didn't even look in the same class as Vic.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Good call.:thumbsup: I thought the fight was highly entertaining.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I was on BoDog right before the fight and saw Vic was at +190. Luckily I had my last 50 bucks in my account and guess who is 150 bucks richer? I gained a whole new respect for Vic and may be one of my new favorite fighters. I can't wait to watch him fight again.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I was on BoDog right before the fight and saw Vic was at +190. Luckily I had my last 50 bucks in my account and guess who is 150 bucks richer? I gained a whole new respect for Vic and may be one of my new favorite fighters. I can't wait to watch him fight again.
That's awesome man. I thought of betting some real money on that fight, and obviously, I wish I would have. I got 5 to 1 odds from LeedsLad. Vic is awesome and he's great for boxing. Even though he's got a mammoth-sized chip on his shoulder, it's hard to imagine how anyone couldn't enjoy him in the ring, even if they aren't fans of his brash personality. I like the whole package, though. His brazen attitude, his big power, and his awkward style. I first saw him in '06 defending against Luis Maldonado and I've been a fan ever since. The loss to Donaire shocked the hell out of me and I must admit, I was worried about whether or not a guy over 30 getting crushed like that would be able to recover, but he has done just that and then some. I think that loss was a flash in the pan. He saw this young Filipino kid that truly looked like a kid and thought that his seventh title defense would be as easy as the other six. He was overconfident, underestimated Donaire, and walked into a shot. Guys get caught. It happens. It's how you bounce back and he has done so in emphatic fashion. Donaire certainly wouldn't be an easy fight for him in the rematch, but I'd give him a good chance. It's basically 50/50. I'd definitely take him over Arce or Montiel, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts