Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DVR had a surprise for me when I got home last night it recorded the Tyson Douglas fight on ESPN Classic. Talk about a fight where one guy is at about 20% and the other is at 500%. Douglas did a thing I like to do with shorter opponents where he kept his glove on Tyson after a jab and moved behind it. He also had an 83” reach to Tyson’s 71”, and he used it. I have never seen a legendary fighter be so dominated. He was never the same after that beating, neither was boxing for that matter.

I remember when that fight happened, I was a senior in high school, and this guy came into the club where we were drinking, saying Tyson had been knocked out. They stopped the music and announced it over the PA, the lights came up and they didn’t start up again for a few minutes. In a way it marked the end of an era, can you imagine that happening today? Now all the good heavyweight boxers go play football.
The problem with the boxers today is too few of them speak English. They fight great, but for some reason most American fight fans aren’t too fond of fighters we have to hear through an interpreter.

I think boxing is making a resurgence behind guys like Pavlik, and the popularity of MMA. It’s going to be a while before we have another Tyson/ Douglas, Leonard/ Hearns, I’m just glad
i got to see those fights.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
They show those Tyson-Douglas, Holyfield-Braxton (Qawi), Holyfield-Cooper, any of the Holyfield-Bowe fights, and Tyson's greatest hits a lot. Along with Whitaker-McGirt.

Tyson-Douglas is my favorite fight. Even though Tyson was only 60%, Douglas showed the blueprint how to beat him. Great performance by Douglas. It just goes to show how you have good and bad nights and how it can change history. I think the Douglas that beat Tyson would have beaten Holyfield too, but that Douglas was complete crap and overweight and out of shape.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
It is a very entertaining fight, and probably the biggest upset of all-time. I think the warning signs had already started to show for Mike. He was crashing cars (alledged suicide attempt), boozing, brawling & messing around with women. I think a big tell-tale sign was Mike's inactivity, D'Amato/Jacobs always kept Tyson very active (even as a world champ he was fighting 4-5 times a year) and i think that was key for his focus and to keep him on track.

It was a clear case where one man fought way above himself, and the other fought way below himself. And i agree Bill, had Douglas not piled on the pounds and come in under-prepared, he would have given Holyfield hell.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
It is a very entertaining fight, and probably the biggest upset of all-time. I think the warning signs had already started to show for Mike. He was crashing cars (alledged suicide attempt), boozing, brawling & messing around with women. I think a big tell-tale sign was Mike's inactivity, D'Amato/Jacobs always kept Tyson very active (even as a world champ he was fighting 4-5 times a year) and i think that was key for his focus and to keep him on track.

It was a clear case where one man fought way above himself, and the other fought way below himself. And i agree Bill, had Douglas not piled on the pounds and come in under-prepared, he would have given Holyfield hell.
Agreed. Tyson had a bunch of amateurs running his corner on the night and I'm almost 100% certain the training couldn't have been any better! Tyson hit prime with Spinks and it was down from then on, getting rid of Rooney was a huge mistake. The fight itself? A classic. Not because it was the most entertaining bout, but because of the outcome. Tyson losing was unthinkable at the time and when it happened, the shockwaves it sent through boxing were unbelievable. Buster Douglas had one person who believed he'd win from the start; his mother. She told everybody that her son was going to beat Tyson and when she died (God bless her soul) that made him a very determined man.

·
Registered
472 Posts
tysons great but like said above, he had to be kept on track..you just let him go live his life and he just partys and only gets a week to 2 weeks of trianing in. I think the douglas fight he only had like 10 days of training, he was cocky and had every right to be (at the time), it caught up to him and bit him in the ass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts