Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who Wins? How?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to my earlier news brief regarding WBO welterweight champion Paul Williams, BoxingScene.com was contacted by Vincent Scolpino, manager of IBF welterweight champ Joshua Clottey. Scolpino tells BoxingScene that Clottey is more than willing to fight Williams in a unification bout on November 29 on HBO. At the moment, Williams is without an opponent.

Williams recently fought at 160, easily stopping Andy Kolle in one-round, but told BoxingScene in the aftermath that he plans to return to 147 to clean the division up.

"We're going back to 147. I want to clean up 47. They are saying that Margarito is the man at 47, so hopefully I can get my fans and the networks to push him out so I can get a fight with him. After November 29th when I defend my belt, I'll probably go to 54. Try to clear up 54, the go back down 147, then go back up to 60. We're going to jump through all the weight classes," Williams said.

Scolpino says that if Williams needs an opponent for the November date, all he has to do is have his promoter Dan Goossen contact Top Rank.

"Tell Williams to tell his promoter we want to get it on for November 29th. We will put our title up and take his on that night. All he has to do is to call our promoter Bob Arum and make it happen," Scolpino said.

Williams does owe a mandatory defense against Michael Jennings, but under the rules of most sanctioning bodies, a champion can take part in a unification bout before his mandatory obligation. Source: Joshua Clottey Wants Paul Williams on November 29 - Boxing News

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
This fight would determine who's #1 in my eyes.

If it gets done I'm psyqued. Never thought Clottey would be up for it tho. I always figured it was the only fight he wouldn't be confident in himself winning. Williams better not duck it.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Based on Wiliams latest performances, I'm going with him by TKO or KO. I think he can knocked out clottey. I know margarito was unable to but part of me now thinks williams may have more power than margarito. Shoulds be a good fight. Hope it comes off.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I hope this works out. Beats the hell out of Williams/Jennings. I'd have to go with Williams, but Clottey has excellent defense, a solid chin, and effective, if economical, offense.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Based on Wiliams latest performances, I'm going with him by TKO or KO. I think he can knocked out clottey. I know margarito was unable to but part of me now thinks williams may have more power than margarito. Shoulds be a good fight. Hope it comes off.
How does a man get knocked out who blocks every punch on his gloves? Clottey is the second coming of D1ck Tiger, and he's even more skilled. Not to mention Clottey weighs as much as Williams does. I got Williams by decision, but I think Clottey does better than Margo did.

G

·
Wow, this is great news. As a huge PW fan, im pumped and its about time a top WW actually stepped up to PW's challenge. PW has stated, whoever wants that 11/29 fight on HBO can step forward and make it known. Frankly I didn't think anyone of stature in the division would step up to the challenge, hopefully Clottey and his manager are more than talk. I like Clottey as a fighter but I think Paul will overhwelm him with his speed and reach. Williams by UD.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Wow, this is great news. As a huge PW fan, im pumped and its about time a top WW actually stepped up to PW's challenge. PW has stated, whoever wants that 11/29 fight on HBO can step forward and make it known. Frankly I didn't think anyone of stature in the division would step up to the challenge, hopefully Clottey and his manager are more than talk. I like Clottey as a fighter but I think Paul will overhwelm him with his speed and reach. Williams by UD.
Good post. I agree.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
It should be an intriguing matchup between two strong welterweights.

I'd favor Williams because of his workrate and reach, but I dont think Williams can stop Clottey. In fact, I dont think theres a welterweight capable of doing it.

I'd root for Clottey however.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clottey is definitely strong enough, real good defense, good pop, good speed, better combination speed, but the biggest question is: Will he be active enough? The only one that can answer that question is him.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
If Clottey threw even 60 punches per round not even Sugar Ray Leonard could beat him.

The fight is close without high output. If the guy had high output you're rating Clottey in an all time top 5 Welterweight list.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
How does a man get knocked out who blocks every punch on his gloves? Clottey is the second coming of D1ck Tiger, and he's even more skilled. Not to mention Clottey weighs as much as Williams does. I got Williams by decision, but I think Clottey does better than Margo did.
First off, to answer the highlighted part. It takes 1 punch that he didnt block to knock a fighter out. Simple as that. Thats just boxing.

Secondly, I think your overhyping him a bit. He most likely will go the distance, but that doesn't mean he's going to win. I'm just going with williams by TKO because I think its highly possible.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
If Clottey threw even 60 punches per round not even Sugar Ray Leonard could beat him.

The fight is close without high output. If the guy had high output you're rating Clottey in an all time top 5 Welterweight list.
Dude, Im sorry. I just can't agree with this at all.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts

Not to be disrespectful, but terrible post. What else do you expect me to say?

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Clottey is a complete fighter. Not only is he complete but he's oversized. Nothing any Welterweight can do with him unless he isn't punching them. I honestly can think of no other significant thing he lacks other than a workrate.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Clottey is a complete fighter. Not only is he complete but he's oversized. Nothing any Welterweight can do with him unless he isn't punching them. I honestly can think of no other significant thing he lacks other than a workrate.
I have had my fair share of people tell me I was too enamored with Pavlik or that I was a homer, but this beats me by a longshot. Maybe Clottey cleans out 147 and you look like a genius... :)

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
First off, his power is overrated. He couldnt even stop Zab Judah. Secondly his handspeed is good, but nothing great. His chin has shown to be very good. His defense is good, however he's becoming more and more boring with that style. His footspeed isn't the best either. He is no where near leonards caliber. Leonard could freaking punch as a welterweight which many forget. He was the fastest handed welterweight I've ever seen, he had beautiful foot movement, he was/is just as big as joshua clottey, and his chin was one of the best EVER. To compare clottey to leonard would be unjust. To say he beats leonard honestly makes me sick. And I'm not a huge fan of leonard myself, and I rather like Clottey.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
I have had my fair share of people tell me I was too enamored with Pavlik or that I was a homer, but this beats me by a longshot. Maybe Clottey cleans out 147 and you look like a genius... :)
You aren't reading. I picked Williams to beat him. I said Clottey gives anyone hell in this division not throwing many punches. Could he do it which I'm doubting he could as much as the next guy then he'd be virtually unbeatable. It's honestly not out of the question to believe if you give him this 1 more critical trait that he's instantly an all time great. I could name you the top 5 Welterweights the world has ever seen and list a critical attribute they didn't have. I mean honestly just look at what Clottey has got going for him here:

He punches as hard as Margarito.
He weighs as much as Williams.
His hand speed is as fast as Cotto.
And his defense is the second coming of Winky Wright.

Give Margarito all that **** and see if he isn't the scariest son of a bitch you've EVER seen in your entire life.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
You aren't reading. I picked Williams to beat him. I said Clottey gives anyone hell in this division not throwing many punches. Could he do it which I'm doubting he could as much as the next guy then he'd be virtually unbeatable. It's honestly not out of the question to believe if you give him this 1 more critical trait that he's instantly an all time great. I could name you the top 5 Welterweights the world has ever seen and list a critical attribute they didn't have. I mean honestly just look at what Clottey has got going for him here:

He punches as hard as Margarito.
He weighs as much as Williams.
His hand speed is as fast as Cotto.
And his defense is the second coming of Winky Wright.

Give Margarito all that **** and see if he isn't the scariest son of a bitch you've EVER seen in your entire life.

Now clottey is the second coming of both **** tiger and winky wright. Man, he must be p4p 1.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
First off, his power is overrated. He couldnt even stop Zab Judah. Secondly his handspeed is good, but nothing great. His chin has shown to be very good. His defense is good, however he's becoming more and more boring with that style. His footspeed isn't the best either. He is no where near leonards caliber. Leonard could freaking punch as a welterweight which many forget. He was the fastest handed welterweight I've ever seen, he had beautiful foot movement, he was/is just as big as joshua clottey, and his chin was one of the best EVER. To compare clottey to leonard would be unjust. To say he beats leonard honestly makes me sick. And I'm not a huge fan of leonard myself, and I rather like Clottey.
1) He did stop Judah. It's a stoppage, Judah quit. If he didn't quit, he was getting knocked out. This is easy to see. It was also only after the 8th round against a Judah in the best shape of his life. Cotto ended a ~400 day layoff Judah in the 11th. Bad example of lack of power, not to mention the fact that KOs come more from output than single shots.

2) His footspeed is good, watch the early rounds of the Margarito fight. Sometimes he just doesn't want to be mobile, doesn't mean he can't be. He's explosive from his feet when he decides to leap into a shot. Once again, it's a matter of output, this time with his legs.

3) I didn't forget Leonard was a strong puncher as a welterweight, but he wouldn't knock Clottey out and he wasn't bigger than Clottey. Leonard never came into the ring 170 after weighing in at 147, ever. Leonard is better than Clottey no doubt, he wins decision easy. Like I said, the matchup is not viable unless Clottey had something he doesn't. Read between the lines here.

4) Leonard did NOT have one of the best chins ever, lmao. The times he's been dropped and who did it to him can speak for that. And I'm not talking about Hearns, that's obviously understandable.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts